CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-18-2017, 04:12 AM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,898
Default

this will probably be the same 6.0L engine as the S650 cab. There's no 6.75L heritage to preserve at Mercedes and they've made it clear time and time again that the numbers are no longer related to actual engine size.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-18-2017, 07:43 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Interesting theory. The Bentley Mulsanne V8 is 6.8L.Rolls is at 6 6.75L Matching them?
Yes, but only in numbers.

And I still find these random numbers suggesting bigger engines ridiculous beyond anything. Call the 6 Liter a 600 (it has a lot more heritage at Mercedes). The 4,4 V8 450 (again, heritage,), and the 3 liter cars simply 300 (again, heritage name). But no, let's give them some random numbers, also sometimes just 2 figure (like 43 AMG Line). I know all German are making that (and Lexus mostly too), but one has to be the first to start (BMW is at least using kind of heritage numbers)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
b_nadkarni b_nadkarni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 61
Default

The problem with using engine numbers on modern engines is that the customer base is used to the bigger number being the more expensive car. With turbos, the modern engines might seem less impressive. In the end they have to sell the story as much as the car itself.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_nadkarni View Post
The problem with using engine numbers on modern engines is that the customer base is used to the bigger number being the more expensive car. With turbos, the modern engines might seem less impressive. In the end they have to sell the story as much as the car itself.
they should just round up horsepower to the nearest fifty or hundred and use that number which gets you back to an S400, S500, and S600 given the current engine lineup. at least there'd be some logic to it. problem is once they started using S550, I'm sure the marketing guys said it'd be impossible to go back down, instead now using S560.

Last edited by IcedG35; 04-24-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
problem is once they started using S550, I'm sure the marketing guys said it'd be impossible to go back down, instead now using S560.
I see your point, and it is clearly the reason, but still I think that at some point, especially with the launch of a new model or engine generation, a clear cut would be welcome. Yes, either go with horsepower, or with a close "heritage" number, because it will be especially ridiculous when electric versions start to appear and they get something lime S600 electric, or something. That is at least something Audi is getting right, avoiding those "fake engine figures" in the car name.People still buy them without a random big figure on the back....

That said, with all these unified engine options nowadays (you basically have a choice of 2.0 and 3.,0 Turbos) I doubt there is really the necessity for 4 or 5 tuning trims of the same basic engine, again only a case of "because the other has 4 version, I'll make 5 of mine..."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:45 AM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
S560.
"560" is a heritage number in the U.S. (at least for those of us who have a decent memory of the 80's.... ;) ).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
"560" is a heritage number in the U.S. (at least for those of us who have a decent memory of the 80's.... ;) ).
i remember 560 well. but 420 and 500 also have a lot of heritage. I'm sure nearly every number did at one point or another so you have to draw the line somwhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I see your point, and it is clearly the reason, but still I think that at some point, especially with the launch of a new model or engine generation, a clear cut would be welcome. Yes, either go with horsepower, or with a close "heritage" number, because it will be especially ridiculous when electric versions start to appear and they get something lime S600 electric, or something. That is at least something Audi is getting right, avoiding those "fake engine figures" in the car name.People still buy them without a random big figure on the back....

That said, with all these unified engine options nowadays (you basically have a choice of 2.0 and 3.,0 Turbos) I doubt there is really the necessity for 4 or 5 tuning trims of the same basic engine, again only a case of "because the other has 4 version, I'll make 5 of mine..."
Agreed i doubt people would care as much as the marketing guys think when it comes to choosing S550, 500 or 560. If you do care that much, then buy the S600! Hopefully BMW won't release the facelifted 7 series V8 as the 755i.

Last edited by IcedG35; 04-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy