Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I wonder what next week's all new five year plan will be like.
Among others, it will contain making Dodge as well as Jeep a trim levels of the SRT brand, killing all "500" models, concentrate Alfa on small FWD hatchbacks and renaming Fiat Chrysler into Lancia. And, ofcourse, the Miata will base a Autobianchi or somehing ;-)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM

I don't have the best feeling about this new 5-year plan. It reminds me a lot of their last 5-year plan: At the beginning of the plan, there are some models that have just been introduced anway ("see, we are already doing things"), then comes nothing ("we have new models planned, so we have to develop these cars first"), and in the last year, there is a bunch of new models for every brand ("look at the massive offensive we have planned"). With so many new cars at the end of the 5-year plan, it's almost obvious that some of them will be shifted to the next 5-year plan or even axed.

Another now typical Marchionne thing: Show the increasing sales of some models, make high projections based on this, and then bring up a successor that will make everything even better (for example: Ram). The reality is that the sales are great indeed, but only at the moment. Ford is going to introduce an all-new model which will definitely take sales away from Ram. And since no all-new Ram is planned in the next 5 years, how can they seriously expect even increasing sales?

Me, I wouldn't put my money on FCA.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I think the plan doesn't innovate fast enough - as others have said.

I'd mentioned earlier - but on the 75th anniversary of Jeep, there isn't a new Wrangler? Really? *cough* look at Mustang *cough*

Also - a new CUV for Chrysler makes a PILE of sense - but it's pretty far off in the distance (as others have said); Cherokee is proving to be a great vehicle for sales and reviews...why not use that as the basis? Not badge engineer - but the basis.

In terms of Ram, I actually think that pickup will be fine. It's quickly gaining credibility in the market (especially here in Canada)...It's a great product, seems to be reliable, delivers solid fuel economy and FINALLY offers the category a good entry level diesel 6....GM should be concerned with this.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future View Post
I don't have the best feeling about this new 5-year plan...With so many new cars at the end of the 5-year plan, it's almost obvious that some of them will be shifted to the next 5-year plan or even axed...Me, I wouldn't put my money on FCA.
FCA does not need Chrysler and Dodge. Killing Chrysler and making Dodge the mainstream brand would have made much more sense than killing Dodge or now keeping it AND Chrysler alive. Keeping Dodge makes tons of sense for it's nameplates like Dart, Charger, and Challenger. The 200 could have revived the Coronet name. The Chrysler 300 could have become a Dodge Monaco and the Charger could have been made into a coupesedan. There was also no need to spin Ram off as a separate brand.

Their structure should have been:

Fiat as a budget-priced "Mini" franchise

Dodge as the mainstream brand

Alfa Romeo as an affordable near premium brand based on Fiat/Dodge platforms

Jeep as the container of all SUVs and CUVs

Maserati a dollar for dollar Mercedes competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I think the plan doesn't innovate fast enough - as others have said...
The one thing I will give VW credit for is their TDI engines. FCA needs their own "TDI" engined vehicles, much more hybridization, and plug in hybrids.

Where is the Maserati to compete with Tesla? A Maserati "Tesla" would be delicious
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

What mustn't be forgotten is that Fiat/Chrysler is no longer North American, its a world wide company with the need to produce products that suit each marketplace it wants to sell in.

And yes, Fiat has plenty of excellent diesel engines. North America will never be a diesel place simply due to economics unless you are a commercial operation.

I for one am very much looking forward to the battle between the Sprinter, Promaster and Transit. My own guess is that the Ram and Ford products will both outsell the MB/Freightliner within a year.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post

North America will never be a diesel place simply due to economics unless you are a commercial operation.

r.
I dunno about that statement fella. I think diesels are about to experience a rebirth in North America. VW REALLY pushed hard w/ their recent TDI offerings; yes, diesels have always been in the VW's here in NA - but the most recent generation of products have pushed their sales to new heights here.

Couple this w/ Mazda poised to release a diesel 6 / CX5 - you have two 'mainstream' players offering their products. The diesel Cruze is also getting LOTS of praise - and pretty respectable #'s (from some random report I saw). And even the Ram is delivering huge growth - and they can't produce enough diesel engines to keep up!

Chryiat would really stand to benefit if they brought proven technology to North America in their 'everyday' products.

Americans don't want to pay $.20 more a gallon for 30% better fuel economy? It doesn't take an advertising genius to position that message.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Trust me I'm as much a fan of diesel as possible. Drive them every time I go to Europe. Can't get what I need here though with a diesel./

I suspect that the greater economy of the Ecoboost type of engine together with the 8-9 speed boxes will produce diesel like mpg numbers. Without the cost or expense of acquisition.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Raconteur

Though I would 100 times rather have a hybrid or a plug in hybrid than a diesel, because diesels sell for the Germans that means that others should try hard too.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I think a diesel hybrid is the ultimate solution honestly. I know that VW is playing here already - but it makes so much sense. Efficiency and torque of a diesel, added w/ the further efficiency's of a hybrid...I bet a Journey sized CUV could easily get 6 ltr per 100KM on that type of solution - without any sacrifice to current ICE performance. Then add in the efficiency of a 9 speed transmission? Damn.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I think a diesel hybrid is the ultimate solution honestly...
A plug in gas hybrid would be my suggestion. A turbodiesel hybrid would be technologically more complicated than gas engine + plug in hybrid. I read somewhere that a diesel hybrid would really benefit from a 24 volt system because of the added stress of the start stop to a 12V system.

The bottom line for me is that across the industry we should be seeing hybridization as the standard power plant especially for gas guzzlers like minivans, CUVs and SUVs.