Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2016, 01:14 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by burley View Post
Gladiator?? I think you mean Scrambler.. The Gladiator didn't share the Wrangler (CJ) face.
I know exactly what I meant.

I suggested Gladiator over Scrambler due to connotations associated with both names.

Gladiator has powerful connotations and was only ever marketed as a Jeep pickup.

Scrambler sounds like something you buy on late night TV to scramble eggs...but wait if you call in the next 10 minutes you can get a second Scrambler free.

The name Scrambler was derived for "S/C Rambler" or "Scrambler" and it was AMC's answer to the Hemi Dart via the Rambler American. "S/C" was their "R/T".

Then--inexplicably--they put Scrambler out as the CJ--not Wrangler--pickup.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I know exactly what I meant.

I suggested Gladiator over Scrambler due to connotations associated with both names.

Gladiator has powerful connotations and was only ever marketed as a Jeep pickup.

Scrambler sounds like something you buy on late night TV to scramble eggs...but wait if you call in the next 10 minutes you can get a second Scrambler free.

The name Scrambler was derived for "S/C Rambler" or "Scrambler" and it was AMC's answer to the Hemi Dart via the Rambler American. "S/C" was their "R/T".

Then--inexplicably--they put Scrambler out as the CJ--not Wrangler--pickup.
The Scrambler, which no one associates with late night egg cookers, is the only Jeep truck based on the CJ (Wrangler), and shares 99% of the look, removable top included. The other trucks are just traditional pickups. Since the new truck will be a modified Wrangler Unlimited, this makes the most sense.

Also, if you talk to any Jeep enthusiast, the Scrambler is quite beloved.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
The Scrambler, which no one associates with late night egg cookers....
I do therefore your statement is wrong, but if you need a cookie, a pat on the head, and told that you're right so you won't cry that someone has a different opinion than yours, then so be it.

The reality is that among more than a few Jeep enthusiasts the Scrambler is remembered as a lifestyle or "Barbie" Jeep i.e. not taken as a serious offroader. Because of its longer wheelbase, the Scrambler was easy to high center.

Then again who knows.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I do therefore your statement is wrong, but if you need a cookie, a pat on the head, and told that you're right so you won't cry that someone has a different opinion than yours, then so be it.

The reality is that among more than a few Jeep enthusiasts the Scrambler is remembered as a lifestyle or "Barbie" Jeep i.e. not taken as a serious offroader. Because of its longer wheelbase, the Scrambler was easy to high center.

Then again who knows.
Chocolate chip please.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Chocolate chip please.
You got it, buddy.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:35 PM
CSS Veteran

Rumors from one of the Jeep forums:

July-August 2017: 2018 Wrangler Order Banks Open
September 2017: 2018 Wrangler Production Begins
September 1, 2017: 2018 Wrangler Press Launch
Early 2018: 2018 Wrangler Pickup (JT) Production Begins

New Features:
New ZF 8 Speed Transmission
2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine
3.0L VM Diesel Engine
3.6L Penstar V6 Upgraded Engine
Power soft top
True 3 piece hardtop
Option hardtop glass panel
Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

it seems like half the Wrangler's I see are loaded Sahara models so makes sense to continue to offer higher margin lux options.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:00 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

How's Jeep's reputation in the US and Europe when it comes to reliability?
I heard a few people here in Australia having big problems with their Grand Cherokee's while the Wrangler has a worse rep. People still love them, but just wondering...

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-23-2016, 04:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
How's Jeep's reputation in the US and Europe when it comes to reliability?
I heard a few people here in Australia having big problems with their Grand Cherokee's while the Wrangler has a worse rep. People still love them, but just wondering...
I can't speak to the greater population but I'd describe my Grand Cherokee as a handsome dumb jock. looks great, gets the job done, but build quality is crap, and the infotainment and general electronics are cheap and bug ridden. I think the Wrangler is much less complex, and probably avoids a lot of these problems, at least based on the few people I know who have them.

tangent warning: people might call the Grand Cherokee a cheaper X5 but there are a lot of subtleties that really make the X5 a much better vehicle. worth the ~20k extra for a similarly equipped model? probably if you got it...
Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
I can't speak to the greater population but I'd describe my Grand Cherokee as a handsome dumb jock. looks great, gets the job done, but build quality is crap, and the infotainment and general electronics are cheap and bug ridden. I think the Wrangler is much less complex, and probably avoids a lot of these problems, at least based on the few people I know who have them.

tangent warning: people might call the Grand Cherokee a cheaper X5 but there are a lot of subtleties that really make the X5 a much better vehicle. worth the ~20k extra for a similarly equipped model? probably if you got it...
Thanks for the feedback, that's the info i was looking for. A couple i know bought one 1 1/5 years ago and wanted to sell just 6 months in (Grand Cherokee). Don't recall the issues they where having but it was enough to put them off it. Jeeps also seem to cost a lot to insure, was told this also reflects their reliability reputation?)

MAKE
MINE
FORD