There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Astra View Post
A shame you don't get the Polo GTI then
Unlike the Golf GTI, the Polo isn't really regarded as a fun to dirve car. Fast, certainly now improved over the previous twincharge/DSG combo, but still too civilized and not communicative and playable in the same way the Golf is, or in the smaller segment a Fiesta ST or Peugeot 208 GTi (and let's face it, you don't buy a small hot hatch for high motorway average speeds)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Never driven the Polo GTI (and neither the current Fiesta or the 208), but the SEAT Ibiza on the same platform certainly is very fun to drive.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
Never driven the Polo GTI (and neither the current Fiesta or the 208), but the SEAT Ibiza on the same platform certainly is very fun to drive.
The Seat is better, because it doesn't try to be everything at the same time, it is more basic in some respect. But even that is not entirely in the same league as the best small hot hatches (unlike the Leon).
Old 05-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Administrator

All these official spy photos/videos are becoming annoying.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM

So basically it's gonna look just like the old one, but with the improved proportions.
In case of Passat this strategy turned out very successful, so there's still some hope...
Old 05-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
All these official spy photos/videos are becoming annoying.

Thanks for posting. Seems to be a very wide little car don't you think? Certainly not the supermini we know it to be.

I wonder if the product cycle for this generation will be the seven and a half years that the current one has enjoyed. It's aged incredibly well!

It seems that, in certain areas, VW really knows what it's doing.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Raconteur

I wish they would use the Polo to recast the essence of the original "Rabbit" GTI (i.e. small, simple car, improved seats, and a hotter engine) as value-priced alternative to the complicated and expensive (Golf) GTI.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I wish they would use the Polo to recast the essence of the original "Rabbit" GTI (i.e. small, simple car, improved seats, and a hotter engine) as value-priced alternative to the complicated and expensive (Golf) GTI.
How is the Golf GTi 'complicated' exactly? And is it THAT much more expensive where you live than equivalent rivals? The Golf GTi is a perfect all-rounder, performance hatch and retains its value better than the competition. Quality is of a higher level than, let's say, a Focus ST too.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Administrator

The current polo has aged well. Funny enough the Mk5 polo has a similar wheelbase than the original Mk2 golf already. The sedan mk5 polo wheelbase is similar to the Mk4 golf so I am curious how much larger the Mk6 polo will be or if it will mostly a reskin.

I do wonder why VW opted for a standard grill and not a grill like on the new Touareg or Arteon. Maybe that new grill is only for higher priced models.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
How is the Golf GTi 'complicated' exactly? And is it THAT much more expensive where you live than equivalent rivals? The Golf GTi is a perfect all-rounder, performance hatch and retains its value better than the competition. Quality is of a higher level than, let's say, a Focus ST too.
In the USA the GTI is EXPENSIVE as it sits on the lot with all the bells a whistles which is typically how they come equipped. VW loves its bundles here that skyrocket prices in the real world.

The GTI is typically more expensive than a Focus ST for example. Here, VW has a much lower reputation for quality primarily due to reliability issues and much higher cost of maintenance than comparable models.

Besides, why would you begrudge someone wanting a simple GTI alternative that is a basic car with nicer seats, a tauter suspension, and an uprated engine?