Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 02:57 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Leave this overpriced turd in Europe. The Crossblue needs to replace the truly dismal ToeRag.
The Explorer is over $55K loaded; a top-flight, non-SRT version of the Grand Cherokee is similar. If VW can drop the third-generation Touareg's price by about 10% from where it is now, it'll be priced directly at both those models.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:28 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
The Explorer is over $55K loaded; a top-flight, non-SRT version of the Grand Cherokee is similar. If VW can drop the third-generation Touareg's price by about 10% from where it is now, it'll be priced directly at both those models.
Do we honestly think the Crossblue/Teramont won't be similarly priced fully loaded?
Old 08-16-2016, 03:40 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Do we honestly think the Crossblue/Teramont won't be similarly priced fully loaded?
God, I hope not. It needs to stay a few grand under $50K, closer to the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, which are about $47K loaded.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
God, I hope not. It needs to stay a few grand under $50K, closer to the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, which are about $47K loaded.
I hope not either; but given VW's track record with pricing I don't have high hopes.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:17 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I hope not either; but given VW's track record with pricing I don't have high hopes.
Post-dieselgate, VW has to realize that its premium positioning is done. The only reason the Tiguan is selling reasonably well is cut-rate leasing, with advertised deals of $189/mo with $1,999 down. Compare that to the Tucson ($199/mo for 2016s, $239/mo for 2017s, both with $2,999 down), CR-V ($199/mo, $2,699 down) and RAV4 ($198/mo, $2,499 down). And I hear VW dealers are still getting under-the-table cash from corporate to close deals, so you could be looking at chopping another $1000 off the down payment.

To succeed, a loaded Crossblue HAS to come in at similar to a Santa Fe ($44,145) or CX-9 ($45,215)--not the more expensive Japanese competition.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

at the end of the day the Touareg will always be the SWB better looking Audi Q7 that gives the Cayenne more breathing room than a shorter Q7 would. Touareg buyers aren't VW buyers, the way a Land Cruiser buyer isn't likely buying anything else in the Toyota showroom. Clearly there is a need for a mainstream SUV in VW's lineup but let's all stop complaining about the Touareg because it will never be it and as a discount Audi it's actually pretty awesome.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Here in Australia, the Touareg has always received solid reviews and seems to be price competitive. One of the stronger VW designs too and still looks decent, despite its age.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:27 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Post-dieselgate, VW has to realize that its premium positioning is done.
Yet VW still managed to beat Toyota in the global sales race. Where i live i see Volkswagens everywhere and Australians love them. Can't see that changing in Europe much either. As long as they deliver on design, quality and desirability i don't see an issue with most Vdubs. When it comes to the Touareg though, that is a different story as most will opt to get an Audi, Land Rover, BMW, Merc, Lexus, Jaguar etc rather than a VW. And the current Touareg has a reputation for having issues.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

As said elsewhere, outside the US the touareg is priced accordingly to it's technical qualities, actually as a package, it is comparably cheap. Any BMW, Audi, Mercedes or LR product will be more expensive, and a Landcruiser isn't cheaper either.. The Hybrid mostly Lexus RX is targeting a different audience, and Infinity is not existent outside the US.

Still, it doesn't sell great in many otherwise VW loving markets, where it simply lacks "the badge" already required in this segment, and on the other hand the "built to survive nuclear attacks" reputation that Landcruisers have either (actually, as Cosworthkid pointed out, esp. teh first gen was quite the contrary. A V10 TDI with air suspension had it's two most frequent and costly repairs already in it's name ;-)). Many will end up buying a smaller Audi Q5 instead at the same dealership, because owning an Audi just sounds posher....
Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
As said elsewhere, outside the US the touareg is priced accordingly to it's technical qualities, actually as a package, it is comparably cheap. Any BMW, Audi, Mercedes or LR product will be more expensive, and a Landcruiser isn't cheaper either.. The Hybrid mostly Lexus RX is targeting a different audience, and Infinity is not existent outside the US.

Still, it doesn't sell great in many otherwise VW loving markets, where it simply lacks "the badge" already required in this segment, and on the other hand the "built to survive nuclear attacks" reputation that Landcruisers have either (actually, as Cosworthkid pointed out, esp. teh first gen was quite the contrary. A V10 TDI with air suspension had it's two most frequent and costly repairs already in it's name ;-)). Many will end up buying a smaller Audi Q5 instead at the same dealership, because owning an Audi just sounds posher....
Thats what i mean, people would more likely get a used Audi or BMW instead of a brand new VW Touareg regardless of how well it is priced. Same issues that Infinity faces in most markets.

Volkswagens surprise hit (for me at least) in Australia has been the Amarok truck - its among the best sellers, just behind the likes Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux.
That makes me think that if Volkswagen offered a more traditional, tough type of large SUV as a more upmarket alternative to the Ford Everest/Explorer and Landcruiser it could fair better.

MAKE
MINE
FORD

Last edited by CosworthKid; 08-17-2016 at 11:54 PM.