Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 AM
Raconteur

Toyota owns 16.5% of Subaru and both companies have agreed to co-develop vehicles. Crossovers are the most obvious place where they would codevelop.

To the fanboys shouting "show proof", I would say use some common sense if that's at all possible.

Of course Subaru is going to distance itself from saying the new crossover is TNGA because their customer base wants a Subaru not a Toyota.

BUT if Subaru independently designed a vehicle the size of a Highlander, that would (1) take a tremendous amount of their operating capital that could be used on other products and (2) duplicate something that Toyota has consistently done well on (the Highlander segment) and where Subaru has been stunningly unsuccessful (Tribeca).

Putting the symmetrical AWD and the boxer engine in a "Highlander' chassis with bespoke styling, would create a "Subaru" with a "different" chassis.

If the fanboys want to believe that Subaru would throw money down the toilet to reinvent the wheel so be it, but that is illogical from a business standpoint.

Toyota and Subaru codeveloping crossovers is a win/win too good to pass up.

Moreover, in case some of you have not realized it, the majority of everyone's posts here are opinions and conjectures. THAT is the nature of a site like this.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Oh brother. First, please explain how I'm a fan boy by asking BOTH SIDES to show proof for their positions. Second, of course there are opinions and conjectures on the forum, but when the posts literally become nothing but "yes it is" or "no it isn't" back and forth when neither side has anything concrete, NEITHER of those sides are using common sense; they're just talking over each other. That's different than people doing what you're just now doing...providing some actual logic for his position as to why this might be Toyota related. Eventually, the underpinnings of this vehicle will be known as fact...not open to conjecture or opinion unlike other subjects discussed here. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by pjl35; 03-24-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Oh brother...
:)

You've been absurdly testy of late.

We'd like to help you learn to help yourself. Look around you all you see are sympathetic eyes. Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home. Jesus loves you more than you will know. Heaven holds a place for those who pray.;)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I think we will know if it is TNGA based when it has a traverse inline 4 or V6. If it uses a longitudinally mounted Boxer engine with permanent 4WD, it is derived of the Imprezza's new platform, as those elements are not compatible with any Toyota platform

Granted, the proportions of the front end somehow make me think it is a Hioghlander underneath....
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I think we will know if it is TNGA based when it has a traverse inline 4 or V6. If it uses a longitudinally mounted Boxer engine with permanent 4WD, it is derived of the Imprezza's new platform, as those elements are not compatible with any Toyota platform

Granted, the proportions of the front end somehow make me think it is a Hioghlander underneath....
A longitudinally mounted engine would NOT necessitate a totally different platform. It dismays me that people see that Subaru has a new architecture, that Toyota has a new architecture, that Toyota and Subaru are collaborating on design, and yet staunchly believe the two platforms have nothing in common when they could easily be 90% in common.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The Green house looks to be straight from the current Highlander.

Thats not bad, the current highlander is a pretty good vehicle. Bit overweight and lacking in any dynamic ability.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

If you are still not convinced. Look at C&D pictures. They gave it a facelift and tweaked the CD window. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news