Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Default Toyota to unveil 3 sporty concepts at Tokyo Auto Show

A trio of sport concepts (presumably thinly disguised production cars) for Tokyo (much) later this year.

The Corolla GTI should be MOST interesting. And I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call the little one an MR2, even if it's not mid-engined....

Full credit to Toyota for bringing some fun back into price point people can afford....
Old 01-27-2017, 03:43 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
A trio of sport concepts (presumably thinly disguised production cars) for Tokyo (much) later this year.

The Corolla GTI should be MOST interesting. And I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call the little one an MR2, even if it's not mid-engined....

Full credit to Toyota for bringing some fun back into price point people can afford....
link to story...pics????
Old 01-27-2017, 05:53 AM
CSS Veteran

Here you go:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-...orts-concepts/

Sounds like the smallest sports car is a lot closer in spirit to the Sports 800, which was never sold outside Japan, than the MR2.

The Corolla GTI is theoretically interesting, because the new TGNA architecture is very good. Unfortunately, both the new Prius and Camry suffer from such bizarre styling and plasticky interiors, it's hard to get that excited.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM

Sorry about forgetting the link! I've been a bit under the weather today, and my head is a bit fuzzy.

Swallow, thanks for mentioning the Sports 800. I'd never heard of it and had to look it up. The two certainly seem to be very similar.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I guess the "Corolla GTI" will also preview the next generation Auris/Corolla iM standard cars. I agree, the new Toyota TGNA platform gets very positive reviews especially for it's combination of sharp handling and good ride, even in not so obvious applications like the C-HR or the Prius (imagine a shocked face). Combine that with a interior like the C-HR (which is an unbelievable huge step for a smaller Toyota, you even forget the clock is still there when in it) and the Auris/Corlla could become a real player, even for people not only buying them for "it will never go wrong"....
Old 01-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Sorry about forgetting the link! I've been a bit under the weather today, and my head is a bit fuzzy.

Swallow, thanks for mentioning the Sports 800. I'd never heard of it and had to look it up. The two certainly seem to be very similar.
No worries. The Corolla GTI caught my attention big time. If they can do a GTI with Toyota reliability, this former GTI enthusiast will show up and buy.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Its again becoming a known quantity that behind those ultra generic mass produced vehicles; hides one of the best potential sports car manufacturers.

Basing the S-FR on the Miata (which it was) is a brilliant idea for both Toyota and Mazda (this could be a great relationship).

Just dont hire Lena Dunham for the commercials.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

The SF-R is the one I'm looking forward to. Should be even better than GT86 because cheaper and more flexible engine configuration.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The SF-R is the one I'm looking forward to. Should be even better than GT86 because cheaper and more flexible engine configuration.
In general, letting Subaru design a RWD sports car around their Super Beetle engine and designing in the impossibility of a turbo made the GT86 a total turd and not of the TuRD variety.

The Miata is BEGGING to be used for other sports cars.

The Fiat 124 is actually a lot better than the Miata in person. I was stunned by how it could look so ugly in pictures and look so right in pictures. The engine is far better than the hamster motor Mazda uses.

I'd love to see Toyota use the Miata for a roadster and a real coupe with a 2.0T engine.

It's too bad that Mazda is afraid of putting say 300 horsepower into a high-performance Miata and give it the chassis tuning to be truly entertaining instead of the benign/safe handling it has now.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I'm really looking forward to the Supra, of course, but the Corolla GTI should be a nice performance compact entry that's affordable, higher-volume than the Supra.

Off-topic - Nissan is reported to show a new-generation Z at Tokyo, also, later this year, likely a production-close concept.