Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Battle of the Japanese Giants.

Toyota was absent for the last Japanese sportscar redux (350Z, RX8, S2000, WRX, EVO).

This time Mazda, Honda and Mitsubishi wont be entering .
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
Battle of the Japanese Giants.

Toyota was absent for the last Japanese sportscar redux (350Z, RX8, S2000, WRX, EVO).

This time Mazda, Honda and Mitsubishi wont be entering .
I wouldn't put the WRX and EVO in that group, they were performance sedans.

However I will add Nissan to that absent list as well, given the Z car is mostly dead and likely not getting replaced with a classic coupe, but more like a cross over, if at all. also the WRX hasn't entered the HP wars of the last decade, so nowadays is hardly "sports car beating", more somewhere caught between hot hatches (GTI various packs, Focus ST, Audi S3) and "super hatches" (A Class AMG, RS3, Focus RS). An enthusiast cart yes, but not that stand out in terms of performance anymore.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Wink

They are Japanese, run in similar price ranges, and more than just sporty, so in that era they could be counted together. The RX8 had 4 doors and the 350Z rather heavy owing it's platform to the G35 sedan so who is to tell really. ;)

Is the Z really coming back as a X-over? Why dont they just offer a hotter Juke and let the Z be what it was.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Just dont hire Lena Dunham for the commercials.
Did Toyota once hire Lena Dunham for commercials, or is this just the non sequitur of the year? ;)

Agree w/ swizzle that GTI performance and livability + Toyota reliability and low cost of owernship = total winner.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Is the Z really coming back as a X-over? Why dont they just offer a hotter Juke and let the Z be what it was.
Well apparently the Z would sit way above the Juke, if it came back as a cross over. If it does, well rumors are still divided between it's dead (well, sales have been dead for a while) or, to a slight majority, that it will come back as a 2 door Cross over (there was a concept a while ago hinting at that).

Let's not forget, Nissan was also the one who had the Murano convertible, so they are certainly open to weird decisions. Also, when they decided to kill the Almera (=Sentra hatchback) ten years ago in Europe and sell something between a compact SUV and family hatchback in the highest volume C-segment in Europe, many thought they have lost their mind. Turned out they nailed the compact cross over with the Qashqai, and it was the by far most successful Japanese car in Europe so far, usually in the top ten of the whole EU and now everyone has one). This might encourage them to try the cross over thing with the slowly dying coupe as well.....
Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Did Toyota once hire Lena Dunham for commercials, or is this just the non sequitur of the year? ;)
I've had like 5 toyota trucks, 1 toyota car, and 1 with most of a toyota engine. They bloody better not have pulled Lena Dunham into their corporate image!

Its hard to find information on this right now, but I do believe that TRD (of Tacoma fame) actually started with the Corolla itself. Hell, Toyota may very well have forgotten this. Would be cool to see a modern homage to it; Corollas used to be so cool (FX16, AE86, Wagons, Rwd, 20V I-4)

Gazoo Racing : Make Toyota Great Again.

Last edited by Naga Royal Guard; 02-01-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Let's not forget, Nissan was also the one who had the Murano convertible, so they are certainly open to weird decisions. Also, when they decided to kill the Almera (=Sentra hatchback) ten years ago in Europe and sell something between a compact SUV and family hatchback in the highest volume C-segment in Europe, many thought they have lost their mind. Turned out they nailed the compact cross over with the Qashqai, and it was the by far most successful Japanese car in Europe so far, usually in the top ten of the whole EU and now everyone has one). This might encourage them to try the cross over thing with the slowly dying coupe as well.....

The original Murano and FX themselves eternally changed the mold of an SUV. People just dont accept anything without a view down the highway and a highish roof plusj with Lotus talking about developing an SUV this may very well be the way as hard as it is to see this close to the ground sitting in what I would consider a sportscar.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Also looking forward to the Corolla GTI. I'd consider one if it comes close to the Golf GTI in driving dynamics and is at least half as good looking (I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm worried even that may be optimistic)