Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Administrator

A lot of people who have taken photos of engineers and their cars will have those stories, I was nearly run off the road by an H3 some time ago.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:04 PM
CSS Veteran

Default Re: (Andre)

Quote, originally posted by FLightnurse »
regarding agressive prototype driving.

Living here in Phoenix, AZ we have our share of prototypes around the valley and state. When I was up in Northern AZ skiing (yes it snows in AZ) I happen to see the new VW Bettle with its ugly black trap on it. I started to take pics, and one of the enginers came up to me in a very THICK german accient DEMANDING me to stop taking pics. They were having car problems. I explained to him that in AMERICA, I can take pictures of what I want, and also explained to him that I'll keep taking pics as along as I like. The man wouldn't get out of my face. Local police saw this and walked up, I explainted to the police officer what was going on and this person was trying to intimadate me in stop taking pic of that new VW Bettle over there. Come to find out, that Cop was a car nut too, and told the Engineer to back away...

Tony

that's a great story...that's cool to hear that the cop was a car nut...
it was prob. the refreshed beetle

Quote, originally posted by Andre »
A lot of people who have taken photos of engineers and their cars will have those stories, I was nearly run off the road by an H3 some time ago.

a prototype H3, right?

Old 10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Yes, a prototype. It was one of those flat black ones with spare Colorado parts stuck on it. It was actually the H2 guarding it that tried to run me off the road, the H3 did nothing but drive. I can't believe how those H2s handle at 80+ MPH!!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: (Andre)

i had a close encounter here in south africa as well after spotting the skoda octavia been photographed for its press-release kit which was due 3months after the photoshoot. i already saw the heavy security around the car and since i was driving asked my brother to take the camera and start snapping. we couldn't get close so he got out of the car and walked about 500metres from where the car was parked which btw was in the middle of the road which was blocked off. about 2min later, i see the security using their binoculars and started waving to the rest of the team to run towards us. i started the engine and immediately called my brother to run back towards me. at this stage the security were almost right behind my brother. and just as they tried to grab him, he took a dive right through the window of my car and i sped off. those guys freaked me out as they still took chase and later patrolled the area looking for my car. that was my worst experience....
Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 PM

I live in LA and I see camo cars and trucks daily traveling thru laurel and cold water canyons. My question is, are these test mules from manufacturers or are car mags getting a chance to test them before reveals? If you think corp camos, I will snap pix. If mag cars I won't.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Default Re: (wildcatman)

some mags get to drive prototypes, but it is rare, depends on the car.

Most prototypes are the real deal and are testing with engineers. Best way to find out, is take out a camera, and take some pics, if they come after you, well you know they ain't a magazine crew.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote, originally posted by wildcatman »
I live in LA and I see camo cars and trucks daily traveling thru laurel and cold water canyons. My question is, are these test mules from manufacturers or are car mags getting a chance to test them before reveals? If you think corp camos, I will snap pix. If mag cars I won't.

One of the only times its ok to....

Shoot first. Ask questions later.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: (Ascariss)

That's what I thought. The only reason I have never taken any, I see them daily and I assumed that since most of the car mags have offices in LA that they would be perched on the canyons.
This past week I have seen the new Jeep Wrangler, in 2-door only (heavy camo on front and rear) and what I believe is the Saturn Aura (sic) with the standard checker board pattern and masked nose and tail.
I will bring my digital for the am rides and post them.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:37 AM

Old 07-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: What to do when you spot a mule or Future car (Andre)

Heh...always keep in mind with photographing prototypes that every once and a while you can run into a completely insane engineer behind the wheel:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/...10467

That said, 98% of the engineers are good guys/gals. A few even talk to me