Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 01:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What he suggested is that a CUV is better than a lifted hatch. This is not true, regardless of CUV sales success.
That is 100% a matter of opinion, so don't act like you're right and he's wrong.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I did suggest it looks like a proper CUV, not a lifted hatch (like teh current V40 XC), not that one is better than the other. But whilst the "slightly lifted and cladded" hatchbacks are popular, proper CUVs - which also includes the elevated seating position that these things are popular for, next to their design - are even more popular.

And ultimately the customers decide what is best for them, there are actually very few petrol heads who give value the same priorities as car reviewers, priorities like cornering, steering feel or the ultimately polished ride etc. over more subjective qualities like design, image or the mentioned elevated "command seating position", that gives them e a feeling of safety and driving a bigger car compared to your standard C-segment hatchback.
I completely agree.

Plus in Europe and Canada the average age of the population is OVER 40..... and I would suggest (although I have no statistics to back it up) that the majority of private car sales come from that age group in those regions ..... so why would they not buy a vehicle that's easier to get in and out of, easier for an older person to put Grandchildren in the back of. Easier to see out of - when you have lower mobility.

Its a no-brainer.

I also think amongst the Russian Dolls approach of the VAG group to CUV's this will stand out (with the Jaguar E-Pace) and will do very well indeed.

I really like it..... and if they can get the Plug-in out in the market for a sensible price they could really cash in on the very negative (and unwarranted regarding EU6 - in my opinion) Diesel feeling here in the UK (not sure if there is the same feeling in the rest of Europe).

BTW does any one know where this will be built?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Interior:

DLO confirmed as well:

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/her...018-volvo.html
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 AM

With the A-, B-, and C-pillars all being so massive, I wonder if the interior will feel a little claustrophobic. The seats look great (of course), but I wonder how much of the beautiful materials and detailing that define the XC90 and XC60 will make it's way into the XC40. Center console looks kind of low rent.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
With the A-, B-, and C-pillars all being so massive, I wonder if the interior will feel a little claustrophobic...
I realize we are seeing pre-production pieces, but the interior looks like a plastic GM horror from the 90s.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
but the interior looks like a plastic GM horror from the 90s.
I don't know if I'd go THAT far. The plastics at least look well assembled (which is more than I can say for a GM car from the 90s). I surprised that I think the Lynk and Co 1 has the nicer interior. We'll see how much Volvo can dress up the production version of this car....
Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Teaser (which was later taken down) looks like the it'll be faithful to the concept and the rendering on the first page.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/570436/2...l-german-site/
Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
Teaser (which was later taken down) looks like the it'll be faithful to the concept and the rendering on the first page.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/570436/2...l-german-site/
Should look great then.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Crazy Composer!

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/futu...st-look/63860/

Lots of reports saying the XC40 will be highly customizable and fashion forward. Interested to see what the deal really is!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/futu...st-look/63860/

Lots of reports saying the XC40 will be highly customizable and fashion forward. Interested to see what the deal really is!
I guess that's what many small CUVs offer nowadays - already the Nissan Juke was rather colorful, with a lot of trims available - the Mini Countryman goes without saying - and cars like the Jeep Renegade, Fiat 500x or even the Audi Q2 continue with the "personalisation" thing.

Another topic is that especially with German brands, most customers don't care, they still go for the 50 shades of grey versions of silver to black in and outside. Newer Minis also seem to have way fewer gimmicks than before, probably their ever increasing pricing makes them only attracting elderly customers, who won't care for rally stripes, a union Jack on the roof and interior bling. So I guess the Volvo XC40, what ever kind of bicolor roof and stuff they offer, will mostly be bought in dark colors without overly crazy ad ons...