Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2017, 01:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Everyone is doing Tesla now. It may very well be the end of the Tesla cars while Tesla shifts to infrastructural or engineering.

Tesla is likely the most influential automaker of these times. They singlehandedly forced proud Porsche to adopt a new drivetrain setup.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
Everyone is doing Tesla now. It may very well be the end of the Tesla cars while Tesla shifts to infrastructural or engineering.

Tesla is likely the most influential automaker of these times. They singlehandedly forced proud Porsche to adopt a new drivetrain setup.
You drank the Koolaid apparently. Tesla's technology is in no way game-changing; it's the same as Nissan and GM. Real car companies have been slow to dive in with EVs because the technology still is not fully viable as a replacement to ICE. Think what you want of Musk, but he is a BSer, but like televangelists, people love a good dose of BS.

EVs will get better at range and cost, but it will be the likes of Mercedes, Porsche, and probably Toyota that will be the true technological leaders. If Porsche can keep the MissionE's price in check, the Tesla S is dead in the water. The Porsche is likely to be that good.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Fact. Elon Musk sold it in larger quantities at higher transaction prices than anyone else. And they focused on infrastructure. Full stop.

General & Motors made what was a decent even ground breaking vehicle (EV-1) and then crushed all of them for fear of causing an existential crisis yet them and that hottie Mary Barra are their own damn self cultured problem.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Fact. Elon Musk sold it in larger quantities at higher transaction prices than anyone else. And they focused on infrastructure. Full stop...
And Tesla continues to fail to make a profit. Full stop.

The Model S and Model X got steep discounts in the last months--by Tesla's own admission--they say because of production efficiencies--by the way negated by the Model 3--but everyone knows it's because sales were dying. Full stop.

The Germans are coming. Full stop. Mercedes and Porsche simply WILL be better...no, make that infinitely better.

If you want to be a Musk cheerleader, fine, but at least attempt to marshal your evidence better.

As for your assertion that Tesla sold in larger quantities--I'm assuming you're referring to EV sales--I would be surprised if they didn't, but to say they did so at higher transaction prices, is disingenuous and you know it. It's an apples to oranges comparison given that the Model S and X routinely transact north of $75K and the Bolt and Leaf transact well below $40K.

What will you claim next? That Mercedes had higher transaction prices than Hyundai?

Tesla's moment in the sun is about to screech to a halt as Porsche and Mercedes show them how it's done. The MissionE is going to rock and roll.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Mercedes and Porsche wouldnt be making EVs had it not been for the ground and heaven shattering Tesla Model S.

And Toyota was going hydrogen (durr) until Tesla showed the entire automotive industry a new direction.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:10 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Mercedes and Porsche wouldnt be making EVs had it not been for the ground and heaven shattering Tesla Model S.

And Toyota was going hydrogen (durr) until Tesla showed the entire automotive industry a new direction.
You really are hitting the Elon sauce.

Mercedes and Porsche knew EV technology was not ready for prime time due to range and recharge issues. By letting someone else go first they learned what to do and not to do. This is wise and prudent on their part. Besides, EVs are still a tiny part of the market, so in letting Tesla go first, they lost nothing.

And Toyota is doing EVs via Lexus (durr)!
Old 10-09-2017, 03:39 AM
MERCURY: Mission2020 @FiN

s'funny, I love it this pic

but not so sure in others
(disclaimer: I've loved the Panamera since first seeing it in person, tho not before that)

..."a chop is a wish your heart makes"
Old 10-09-2017, 04:13 AM
Raconteur

The proportions of the prototype are quite nice. I am beginning to think this will go nuts for Porsche. The next move need to be a MissionX for crossover.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The next move need to be a MissionX for crossover.
I'd be very, very surprised if that doesn't happen....
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

If tesla manages to develop a competitive response to this, their staying power in the industry will be solidified. If not, they may just be a charger appliance and battery company.