currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Aren't you like 22?

Gorgeous car regardless...
23.5!!! Hehe.

And congrats on the purchase 63Bonneville! I like the tan interior on the Altima a lot better than they grey/black.

-2014 BMW 428i xDrive, Mineral Grey, Saddle interior.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Thank you, the '12 Altima SR V6 is replacing the '96 Maxima GLE, in the fleet. The Altima with the V6 is great as it is, and was the choice, for the new Maxima is outstanding, but now to pricey.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Was looking for an appropriate place to post since I don't come around much anymore, but wanted to let you guys know i still come around once in a blue moon. Anyways, since I created this thread I figured it'd be a good place to post lol..

the lease was up on my 07 Pontiac G6 Coupe last summer so I did a lease pullahead to get a 2011 Buick Regal.. didn't get the turbo model though, it wasnt out yet when I was getting it.. but other than that I love the car.

..until next time!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

A follow-up to my last post here, regarding the purchase of the new 2012 Nissan Altima SR V6...

It's here, and it's fantastic, super-black with tan "blond" leather interior. It's beautiful, drives and handles amazingly well and gutsy, and it's well appointed.

The only shortcomings are these, and being that it's an Altima, which is, of course, below the Maxima: It has an 8-way power adjustable driver's seat, but it has a manually-adjsutable passenger's seat, and doesn't offer a power passenger's seat, even as an option. Secondly, the hood has a low-rent prop-rod, and it's not supported by the air-cylinders as is the Maxima. Also, it has HID Xenon headlights, but they're not of a projector-type, and the tail-lights are incandescent bulbs, rather than LEDs, which are becoming more and more common. Everything else about it is fantastic and well appointed.

To note, my 2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD does have the projector-type HID Xenon lights, LED tail-lights, the hood is supported by air-cylinders, and it has a power-adjustible 4-way passenger's seat. Also, the driver's seat has a 2-position memory feature, which includes the outside rear-view mirrors, and even adjustable pedals, something that I wish that the Altima SR had, but, I believe that the Murano, thought a crossover/SUV, sits higher on the food-chain than the Altima line, as does the Maxima, of course, though the Altima's V6 puts out more power than the Murano, yet less than the Maxima's 3.5L V6.

I want to mention that I'm glad that the 2012 Altima SR V6 is in our hands, for, I saw reports that the next-generation Altima will no longer have the V6 variant, for a new supercharged 2.5L four-banger, with some form of a hybrid attachment in the mix is said to succeed it, and this is reported to account for some 10% greater fuel economy. Truth be told, this is why I didn't give the new Sonata, Optima and Buick Regal a look, for these no longer offer the V6 editions, but turbo-4's instead. I'm certain that the turbo-4s perform well, but the V6 is gutsy, with more refinement, and you don't have to deal with the turbo lag or characteristics. At least the Honda Accord and the new-generation Toyota Camry kept the V6s, and that's why these models were the other candidates.

Given the choice of a I-4 turbo and a V6, of comparable power and performance, I would choose the V6 hands-down. I still feel that not only is the four-banger coarser, brusquer, and lumpier in operation (and with a less-desirable aural-sound), I still feel that it has to work harder to maintain loads and demands, compared to a higher cylinder-count engine, and I can't see where it would result in that much greater fuel-economy, more than marginally. Then, there's the image stigma, too.

Last edited by 63Bonneville; 12-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Raconteur

Just got to go B-car shopping with a friend. The Chevy Sonic and the Hyundai Accent continue impress with great refinement and better priced than the Fit or the Fiesta. I drove a Sonic with a stick for the first time today and like the Veloster stick, a slick shifter can be had at the bottom of the price continuum. The Versa continued to fail to impress.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

To be fair, the Versa is really huge inside.....but that's the only selling point.

Did you try the new Rio? I think the Rio is hot. I find the Accent to be awkward looking.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Bonneville View Post
A follow-up to my last post here, regarding the purchase of the new 2012 Nissan Altima SR V6...

It's here, and it's fantastic, super-black with tan "blond" leather interior. It's beautiful, drives and handles amazingly well and gutsy, and it's well appointed.

The only shortcomings are these, and being that it's an Altima, which is, of course, below the Maxima: It has an 8-way power adjustable driver's seat, but it has a manually-adjsutable passenger's seat, and doesn't offer a power passenger's seat, even as an option. Secondly, the hood has a low-rent prop-rod, and it's not supported by the air-cylinders as is the Maxima. Also, it has HID Xenon headlights, but they're not of a projector-type, and the tail-lights are incandescent bulbs, rather than LEDs, which are becoming more and more common. Everything else about it is fantastic and well appointed.

To note, my 2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD does have the projector-type HID Xenon lights, LED tail-lights, the hood is supported by air-cylinders, and it has a power-adjustible 4-way passenger's seat. Also, the driver's seat has a 2-position memory feature, which includes the outside rear-view mirrors, and even adjustable pedals, something that I wish that the Altima SR had, but, I believe that the Murano, thought a crossover/SUV, sits higher on the food-chain than the Altima line, as does the Maxima, of course, though the Altima's V6 puts out more power than the Murano, yet less than the Maxima's 3.5L V6.

I want to mention that I'm glad that the 2012 Altima SR V6 is in our hands, for, I saw reports that the next-generation Altima will no longer have the V6 variant, for a new supercharged 2.5L four-banger, with some form of a hybrid attachment in the mix is said to succeed it, and this is reported to account for some 10% greater fuel economy. Truth be told, this is why I didn't give the new Sonata, Optima and Buick Regal a look, for these no longer offer the V6 editions, but turbo-4's instead. I'm certain that the turbo-4s perform well, but the V6 is gutsy, with more refinement, and you don't have to deal with the turbo lag or characteristics. At least the Honda Accord and the new-generation Toyota Camry kept the V6s, and that's why these models were the other candidates.

Given the choice of a I-4 turbo and a V6, of comparable power and performance, I would choose the V6 hands-down. I still feel that not only is the four-banger coarser, brusquer, and lumpier in operation (and with a less-desirable aural-sound), I still feel that it has to work harder to maintain loads and demands, compared to a higher cylinder-count engine, and I can't see where it would result in that much greater fuel-economy, more than marginally. Then, there's the image stigma, too.
Horsepower is horsepower.....most cars are more than adequate with their four cylinder power plants.

I mean, the Optima 2.4L has 200HP. The 2.0T has 275HP. Neither engine is underpowered. I think you should drive one before you discredit and say that all turbocharged four cylinders are very laggy and slow. I mean, none of those turbo models have that much boost, so it's not really like they have to spool up tht munch.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Horsepower is horsepower.....most cars are more than adequate with their four cylinder power plants.

I mean, the Optima 2.4L has 200HP. The 2.0T has 275HP. Neither engine is underpowered. I think you should drive one before you discredit and say that all turbocharged four cylinders are very laggy and slow. I mean, none of those turbo models have that much boost, so it's not really like they have to spool up tht munch.
Personally. I was never big on 4-bangers in any shape or form, or at least anything above an econobox, to a range-extender on a plug-in hybrid model. I still feel that stigma that a 4-cylinder telegraphs more of a lowly and economy-car image, where the higher-cylinder count has a more upmarket and performance image. Though they have come a long way in many applications, and that includes turbos and such, for the Sonata/Optima 2.0Ls turbos are no slouches and put out nice numbers, but they still lack the refinement and smoothness of the V6s and higher, and I still feel that they have to work harder, as well as being lumpier and buzzier, as well as a rougher idle.

Yes, I did drive a current Sonata, which was a rental model that a buddy who was visiting had rented, and, it was nicely designed, though more of a base-model (rental, go figure), and, with the 198HP 2.4L four, it was adequate, but I felt the buzziness when I drove it harder, though it did get out of it's own way.

Also, there are some sixes that fall short, taking the 3.0L V6s from GM, which are lacking in torque, which, itself, is an attribute to off-the-line acceleration. I did drive a Cadillac SRX with the 3.0L V6, and, although it's an amazing and well-appointed crossover, well designed, but, the engine was a disappointment, for it was mediocre and screamed off the line, which is uncharacteristic for a Cadillac. The addition of the 3.6L V6 for this model, as the sole engine, is a SMART move for the SRX. I drove a Buick LaCrosse with the 3.6L engine rated at 280HP, and it was beautiful and moved out nicely, and now its a touch over 300HP.

Also, at a GM promo, a few years back, I drove an old-generation Saab 9-5 with the turbo-4 (it's sole engine), and a Buick Lucerne with the 4.0L 270HP Northstar-based V8, and, let be tell you and be blunt, the Saab 9-5, in the engine-department, felt like crap compared to the V8 powered Lucerne, which also sounded beautiful, too. The Saab also had a rough idle, but preformed adequately when the turbo kicked in.

I'll add this, too, I've driven 4-cyl and 6-cyl cars, especially domestic/American, from the 1980s, and the fours were so lumpy that they transmitted vibrations through the steering wheels, exceptionally slow and agricultural-sounding, and even some of the sixes, though smoother and quieter, were also sinfully slow in some models.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 AM
CSS Oldtimer

GM is hardly the pinnicle of engineering in engine advancement.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
GM is hardly the pinnicle of engineering in engine advancement.
They're at the same level as Toyota, easily.