Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2017, 03:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville
Default Why do vehicles no longer have a dark blue tinted band on the top of the windshield?

I wanted to post this up and get this out there, for I have something of an odd question and observance, and that is why vehicles mostly no longer have the common bluish tinted band on top of the windshields anymore?

This seems like it vanished from most current vehicles, in all segments, levels and classes, or it may remain on just a few. I also felt that it came in handy, helping to cut the sun's rays, even though you do have the visors. What I seem to see now on many vehicle-types is a darker perforated coating that's situated above the rear-view mirrors in the windshield, that's around as wide as the mirror, but stop and angles on the sides, around the space where the sun-visors fold down.

In this question, I'm not going to count the Tesla Model X, for it had the largest windshield in a manufactured vehicle, extending up into the roof. That large windshield had a tinted section above where the sun-visors swing out, and there are pull-down shades from the roof area near where it meets the windshield.

Also, my 2012 Nissan Altima SR V6, the previous-generation model, has the tinted blue-band on the windshield's top, but my 2015 Nissan Murano SL does not have it, that has the coating above in inside rear-view mirror. However, my vintage 1963 Pontiac Bonneville convertible (hence my namesake here) has the tinted blue band on the windshield's top. That car has a tinted winshield only, not the door and side/greenhouse glass, and the roof has a plastic rear-window.

Last edited by 63Bonneville; 07-28-2017 at 03:23 AM.