Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonms View Post
Yaris Verso? That's called the Ractis in Japan and the Verso-S in Europe.
Or a combination (for those in Hong Kong).

Anyways, I think the car looks interesting. Need to see more pics though of it.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Nondescript Member

Send a message via MSN to anonms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBsam View Post
I can't think of one Toyota design that's looked better on the street that it does in press shots. It's usually the other way around.
Really? Nearly all the Toyotas as of late have looked better in person than in pictures, at least to me.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Duller than a dull thing. How can they end up with this after starting with the FT-CH and Prius C concepts?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Duller than a dull thing.
This is no Mini. It's a Toyota compact.
Don't forget who this car is targeted for. Not every consumer want an attractive looking model.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I would agree until you look at the door panels and then at the back seat. That area just screams low-rent.
Toyota seem to be going down the cost-cutting path for a lot of their new cars lately.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji View Post
This is no Mini. It's a Toyota compact.
Don't forget who this car is targeted for. Not every consumer want an attractive looking model.
That may have been how it was 10 years ago but in this day and age we have seen that you can make small cars attractive and appealing. You can have the best of both worlds now so designs like this are very old fashioned and cut out of the "well it's small anyway so it doesn't matter what it looks like" mentality.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBsam View Post
That may have been how it was 10 years ago but in this day and age we have seen that you can make small cars attractive and appealing. You can have the best of both worlds now so designs like this are very old fashioned and cut out of the "well it's small anyway so it doesn't matter what it looks like" mentality.
I can easily prove you wrong by showing you how many so called "dull looking" Toyotas (and Nissans and Hondas etc) are being sold here in Japan.
Besides, I don't think the Aqua looks so bad and old fashioned after all. If this was a Renault I bet you guys will have a totally opposite opinion.

I mean, if you want something with best of both worlds, go get an Audi (as I've mentioned elsewhere). Nobody's putting a gun to your head.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Nondescript Member

Send a message via MSN to anonms

It doesn't have the incredible sharpness of the concept, but I still like this more than the Yaris it's based on.

Quote:
If this was a Renault I bet you guys will have a totally opposite opinion.
When Honda rolled out a new Civic that looked more or less like the outgoing model, people here generally blasted it. When Toyota rolled out a new Camry that looked more or less like the outgoing model, people here generally blasted it. When BMW rolled out a new 3-series that looked more or less like the outgoing model, people here generally defended it.

I think there's validation to your theory based on a different but parallel situation.

Last edited by anonms; 11-16-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I can easily prove you wrong by showing you how many so called "dull looking" Toyotas (and Nissans and Hondas etc) are being sold here in Japan.
Besides, I don't think the Aqua looks so bad and old fashioned after all. If this was a Renault I bet you guys will have a totally opposite opinion.

I mean, if you want something with best of both worlds, go get an Audi (as I've mentioned elsewhere). Nobody's putting a gun to your head.
That doesn't make it not dull though. If anything that just shows domestic market brand loyalty.

Also, Renault would never make something so non-design driven. This a transportation appliance.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonms View Post
When Honda rolled out a new Civic that looked more or less like the outgoing model, people here generally blasted it. When Toyota rolled out a new Camry that looked more or less like the outgoing model, people here generally blasted it. When BMW rolled out a new 3-series that looked more or less like the outgoing model, people here generally defended it.

I think there's validation to your theory based on a different but parallel situation.
Well, to be fair, the Civic was ground breaking before, so a totally cheapening evolution was not what people wanted. The Camry was boring, and remained boring. Probably people expected just more, but at least it's not uglified or cheapened like the Honda, so it should still sell strongly.

The BMW just looks like a BMW should, they have a very characteristic design, and the new interior fixed all what was basically wrong with the old car. This goes for evolutionarry designs like Audis, Golf, but also Nissan Z series, Mazda MX-5, Yaris Mk. II, current Suzuki Swift.... The main differnece is, that if nothing is wrong with the old car (for most people), it doesn't need revolution stylewise.

The current toyota design on the other hand has nothing iconic about it, so most won't praise evolution of it. That said, IMO this doesn't look bad, just lacks something that would make it stand ou as a Prius. Plus the inteiror looks really cheap, already on the pictures (and the Yaris e.g. does feel cheaper than it looks on pictures)