Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Sports Tourer
https://www.motorpasion.com/opel/ope...ts-tourer-2017

Even longer, on the verge of the 5 meters mark. Longer than a 5 series or an E class states. Utterly pointless.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
Sports Tourer
https://www.motorpasion.com/opel/ope...ts-tourer-2017

Even longer, on the verge of the 5 meters mark. Longer than a 5 series or an E class states. Utterly pointless.
Well the D and E segment nowadays are more or less the same size with non premium vs. premium brands (let's face it, a 3 series is probably the size of an Astra estate or Skoda Octavia), buying an E-Class over a Passat, Insignia or Mondeo is a tech and prestige decision, not because you need more interior space.

That said, it is more spacious than before, so at least the extra size isn't wasted (like with the previous generation of Opel cars), and especially tzhe Insignia is also replacing the larger Commodore as well, so it needs to be big for those markets, whilst in Europe few of these are actually bought by private customers anyway, and fleets will buy the car based on CO2, load length and brand contracts.

Personally I think the currnet crop of D segment sedans are already too big for most European cities (probably not a big deal for sales reps) and parking garage spots (average spot size is measured for cars of say 30 years ago), so if you really need a lot of space for kids, any compact MPV or CUV will be the far better family car. These are big to represent the status of the person using it as a company car....
Old 02-06-2017, 02:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
These are big to represent the status of the person using it as a company car....
In my book that's the very definition of utterly pointless. In any case your analysis is probably spot on. I like D segment because i like sedans, but size is not really a status factor for me.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM
CSS Veteran

Regal Sportback and TourX:

https://www.motor1.com/news/141324/2...ourx-revealed/
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Disappointed that the Buick opted for a cross version of the wagon and not a regular version of the wagon.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Disappointed that the Buick opted for a cross version of the wagon and not a regular version of the wagon.
It will be interesting to see if an expensive hatchback will sell. As for not doing the regular version of the wagon, that's prudent because it simply would not sell in the US market. Station wagons have been dead in the water for some time. The cross version has a slightly better chance of selling, but the question is why would anyone chose it versus an Envision? I happen to like station wagons, but it is what it is.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:48 AM

Handsome design, and I give Buick full credit for offering a (lifted) station wagon. In size, the wagon is really more of a competitor for the E-Class and V90, even if it's priced near an A4. Should be a respectable drive; I hope they sell decently....
Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Handsome design, and I give Buick full credit for offering a (lifted) station wagon. In size, the wagon is really more of a competitor for the E-Class and V90, even if it's priced near an A4. Should be a respectable drive; I hope they sell decently....
Its competition will be the Lincoln MKZ, the Lexus ES, and the fully loaded versions of the CamCord/FusNata crowd. It will need value pricing to gain traction. The current Regal has been a sales dud and this one doesn't really add much excitement. It's a nice car, sure, but...
Old 04-05-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Its competition will be the Lincoln MKZ, the Lexus ES, and the fully loaded versions of the CamCord/FusNata crowd. It will need value pricing to gain traction. The current Regal has been a sales dud and this one doesn't really add much excitement. It's a nice car, sure, but...
Yes, the sedan has a different set of competitors since there are many more in that price range sedans. You could also probably add the Arteon, A5 Sportback, and the base version of the Stinger.

The Regal wagon, though, is a bit of an odd duck. From what I can find, it's HUGE (196 in). That's simply too big, I think, for most people.... Something around the size of an Outback would be more appealing, IMHO.

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 04-05-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
...From what I can find, it's HUGE (196 in). That's simply too big, I think, for most people.....
That's the size of a Fusion, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, and Malibu (which the Regal is) and those vehicles simply are NOT too big for most people. In fact, for hundreds of thousands of people, that size is just right.