Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
That's the size of a Fusion, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, and Malibu (which the Regal is) and those vehicles simply are NOT too big for most people. In fact, for hundreds of thousands of people, that size is just right.
Indeed. Whilst in Europe the insignia might be among the longest D-s egemnt cars, in the US it should fit well. Also, it can't be to large if it is shorter than many laregr SUV/CUVs or the "ifighting above" Volvo V90 XC/Mercedes E-Class raised wagon.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
That's the size of a Fusion, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, and Malibu (which the Regal is) and those vehicles simply are NOT too big for most people. In fact, for hundreds of thousands of people, that size is just right.
The wagon is about 3 inches longer than all of those cars (and 2-3 inches longer than the sedan). I would argue that the cars you list above sell well b/c people are lemmings who just buy the name to which they're accustomed. "Compact" cars like the Cruze and Civic (which are really now smaller mid-sized cars) would probably suit most people just fine, if people were interested in purchasing sedans anymore. Also, why would CUVs (CX-3 et al) be such a hot market if people really wanted a 193-in sedan?

The wagon is longer the Toyota Highlander and just a few inches away from an Explorer. Those are very big cars.

I also think it depends on where you live. I live in an urban environment, and parking this thing would be a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Also, it can't be to large if it is shorter than many laregr SUV/CUVs or the "ifighting above" Volvo V90 XC/Mercedes E-Class raised wagon.
As you mentioned previously, the larger wagons (and, in the U.S., larger SUVs) are aspirational cars. I think it's a bit premature for Buick to think of itself as aspirational....

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 04-05-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
...I would argue that the cars you list above sell well b/c people are lemmings who just buy the name to which they're accustomed.....
Even if that is true, given the sales, they're simply NOT too big for most people because if it were, they'd simply lemming walk to the Corolla, Civic, Focus, Cruze, Elantra and so on, but they don't. If you're offended by the size, so be it. That is your prerogative and nothing wrong with it, but on the American highways, these cars are hardly behemoths by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Even if that is true, given the sales, they're simply NOT too big for most people because if it were, they'd simply lemming walk to the Corolla, Civic, Focus, Cruze, Elantra and so on, but they don't. If you're offended by the size, so be it. That is your prerogative and nothing wrong with it, but on the American highways, these cars are hardly behemoths by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm hardly offended by the size. I have no issue w/ full-sized pick ups b/c people who buy them presumably use them for towing/work/etc. Form follow function. But not necessarily so much w/ a mid-sized sedan.

Car makes frequently say that, in the U.S., you offer a bigger size, it's always taken. The current Civic is closer in size to the 1994 Accord than is the current Accord. And the current Accord is actually bigger than the first-gen Avalon (which I think everyone would agree was a full-sized car). By your reasoning, why wasn't the first-gen Avalon Toyota's best selling car at the time?

And given how popular smaller SUVs are becoming (which are often nearly 10 inches shorter than these "mid-sized" sedans), one could argue that people are beginning to realize that all that space behind the driver's seat in a "mid-sized" sedan that can't be configured to carry cargo is... kind of a waste.

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 04-06-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:04 AM

U.S. pricing seems almost startlingly aggressive:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hatchin...agon-at-29995/
Old 06-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Raconteur

It needed to be for this to have any shot at even mediocre sales.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Buick Regal GS revealed, also aggressively priced.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/19/2...can-hot-hatch/

Last edited by exl500; 07-19-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:49 PM

You forgot the best part! It includes the V-6!

I'm really sort of lovin' what's going on w/ $30,000-40,000 sedans. The Stinger and Regal both look very compelling. Do we have the crossover craze to thank for this?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
You forgot the best part! It includes the V-6!

I'm really sort of lovin' what's going on w/ $30,000-40,000 sedans. The Stinger and Regal both look very compelling. Do we have the crossover craze to thank for this?
I think we do. Look at the new Camry and Accord as well, if not as spicy.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl500 View Post
I think we do. Look at the new Camry and Accord as well, if not as spicy.
LOL In the case of the Accord, not only not spicy but stupendously ugly.