currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Cool 2017 VW Saviero

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/vol...pepper-in.html
Old 07-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Raconteur

VW should bring this to the USA. Sooner or later, crossoverpickups will be a thing. Build it somewhere so as to avoid the chicken tax and with a sane price, this could be a thing.

Speaking of the Thing, I'd love to see VW do a version of the SWB Tiguan with a military look and resurrect the Thing.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

This looks like its Polo sized. Don't you think their Amarok would be better for us overfed Americans?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
This looks like its Polo sized. Don't you think their Amarok would be better for us overfed Americans?
I do and have said as much.

My reasoning with this over the Amarok would be to get in on the ground floor of a market trend rather than being a decade or more late the the party (Tiguan/Atlas).

The window of opportunity for the Amarok has likely come and gone. Toyota was the only quality player in the market and the truly abysmal Frontier was no competition. Then GM returned with the Canyon/Colorado and had success. Soon the Ranger will be back in the game. VW would have a tough time against the Tacoma, Colorado, and the Ranger.

The Saviero--if priced right--could easily be another great entry-level product next to the TRoc.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

My reasoning with this over the Amarok would be to get in on the ground floor of a market trend rather than being a decade or more late the the party (Tiguan/Atlas).

The window of opportunity for the Amarok has likely come and gone. Toyota was the only quality player in the market and the truly abysmal Frontier was no competition. Then GM returned with the Canyon/Colorado and had success. Soon the Ranger will be back in the game. VW would have a tough time against the Tacoma, Colorado, and the Ranger.

The Saviero--if priced right--could easily be another great entry-level product next to the TRoc.
unfortunately, VW doesn't make market trends. like most other industries, they start with the expensive brands and work their way down, such as CLS and CC. If some pseudo-lux pickup trend starts, its going to be because Mercedes BMW or Audi released a pickup in the US, which is hopefully better than the X class.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
unfortunately, VW doesn't make market trends. like most other industries, they start with the expensive brands and work their way down, such as CLS and CC. If some pseudo-lux pickup trend starts, its going to be because Mercedes BMW or Audi released a pickup in the US, which is hopefully better than the X class.
This is why they suck donkey.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

I agree, I think this would be better than the Amarok for the US. The Amarok isn't that fresh anymore, and is rather expensive (surprise, surprise), even by European standards (likely the reason why Mercedes thinks they can charge 11k Euro for a rerfaced Navara with a different infotainment system). At a possible price point in the US, i doubt overly many would choose it over a F150 or Silverado with their bigger engines and generally more truckish appeal.

A Saviero would have no competition, and if marketed right, I think it could attarct a lot of small CUV customers. That, with a surf board in the back, could be one cool Volkswagen. orfocurse you will rather receive a Jetta with a 0.5" deeper side crease and a larger sat nav screen instead...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Looks sweet actually

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I agree, I think this would be better than the Amarok for the US. The Amarok isn't that fresh anymore, and is rather expensive (surprise, surprise), even by European standards (likely the reason why Mercedes thinks they can charge 11k Euro for a rerfaced Navara with a different infotainment system). At a possible price point in the US, i doubt overly many would choose it over a F150 or Silverado with their bigger engines and generally more truckish appeal.

A Saviero would have no competition, and if marketed right, I think it could attarct a lot of small CUV customers. That, with a surf board in the back, could be one cool Volkswagen. orfocurse you will rather receive a Jetta with a 0.5" deeper side crease and a larger sat nav screen instead...
CUV customers? No, this would be a perfect fleet vehicle. It would have the same performance and payload of a 4-cylinder single-cab Ford Ranger/Mazda B2300. The new Ranger and the Colorado are much bigger, expensive vehicles now.

This thing could be the perfect niche for fleets. It would have to be very cheap, though. Maybe 15-16K USD for a stripper model.

When you wander to the Southern US boarder, you see these everywhere (the current Saviero as well as the Fiat and GM based alternatives) in Tuscon, AZ - driven by contractors and workers who are just across the boarder from the Mexican state Sonora.