There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
If the Fiesta absolutely needs to sell for dirt cheap then maybe NA doesn't want it at all
Exactly. Everyone's been complaining about Ford not bringing their Euro cars here, then when they do and price them at the same level as Honda and Toyota they start b*tching about that. It's ridiculous!

The Aveo, Accent, and Rio may be competitors to the Fiesta, but only on the low end of the range. The Fiesta's closest rival is the Honda Fit, and to a lesser extent the Toyota Yaris. Both of which, similarly equipped, are about the same price...

Last edited by SV; 01-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
CSS Veteran

spwolfx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Exactly. Everyone's been complaining about Ford not bringing their Euro cars here, then when they do and price them at the same level as Honda and Toyota they start b*tching about that. It's ridiculous!

The Aveo, Accent, and Rio may be competitors to the Fiesta, but only on the low end of the range. The Fiesta's closest rival is the Honda Fit, and to a lesser extent the Toyota Yaris. Both of which, similarly equipped, are about the same price...
it is not that easy to change habits... and it is not as if Fit and Yaris have really good pricing in NA, thats why they sell so little compared to Civic and Corolla.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...The problem is that for some bizarre reason you seem to pitch the Fiesta as direct competitor to only the cheapest of the class (Aveo, Accent, Rio) which, so far, are far below Fiesta standards while...As for the Mugen bit i say so what? Mugen is as good as official the same way AMG is as good as official Mercedes - as if Ford had a similar partner they would be entitled to sell for a higher price (i don't get it but it might be just me)...
The new Aveo is quite compelling and if it stays at Aveo prices, the Aveo will win. The NA market DOES NOT see multiple levels of basic/near-premium between the players in the segment. Mugen IS NOT in house and DOES NOT sell direct-from-factory cars like AMG. Mugen is import tuner boy stuff that you can add to your Fit AFTER you buy one so add on $20K of Mugen stuff, but that does not mean that Honda is producing $40K Fits. Fiesta sized cars at the moment are expected to be bottom feeders. If the Fiesta can convince people otherwise it still has to buy its way into the market and that means price point.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Ford Verve Concept

Hornbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If the Fiesta absolutely needs to sell for dirt cheap then maybe NA doesn't want it at all.
Well said. The thing is, if Ford did sell it in the US for dirt cheap they would of had to make all the plastics horrible brittle bits, drop off half the features and build it in Mexico, and imagine the outcry if they did all that. The fact is this will be a quality car and for that reason it is a competitor to the Jazz/Fit (albeit a more traditional hatch with less space efficiency) and the Yaris price wise. The Aveo and Rio are price point cars, cheap and lack features and the quality, drivability and precision you get in a Fiesta. I for one hope Fords formula works here, and I think it will as to me it's quite logical.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
CSS Veteran

Blackraven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolfx View Post
it is not that easy to change habits... and it is not as if Fit and Yaris have really good pricing in NA, thats why they sell so little compared to Civic and Corolla.
Well if that's the case, then it could be because the Fit and Yaris sold in America comes from Japan.......while the Civics and Corollas sold in America are made locally.

In this case, it's generally a premium expense when it comes from Japan (since you have to pay import taxes)......but in return, the quality is way better.

@anyways
In any case, people should be thankful that Ford is bringing in the Fiesta in the first place there. There were people who were begging Ford to bring in these cars here.

Now that it's here and there are people who ***** and complain. Yikes.

Oh well, life goes on
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornbag View Post
Well said. The thing is, if Ford did sell it in the US for dirt cheap they would of had to make all the plastics horrible brittle bits, drop off half the features and build it in Mexico, and imagine the outcry if they did all that....
Totally ridiculous contention. Maybe the Euros have been bamboozled into paying too much for cars. Ever consider that? My point about the Fiesta is that it's an unproven name in NA going into a segment that is NOT a big seller and it appears that Ford is going to gamble that they can convince a buying public that sees all cars in this segment as cheap cars that you buy for your college kid or buy as your first car because your job's so basic that you can't afford something else. The Civic/Corolla--one size class larger--is where the money is. Pricing the Fiesta in the Corolla range will be a tough sell, but if Ford can pull it off fine.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

If the Fiesta fails to sell in NA i won't be shedding any tears.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road

Well clearly every major media outlet (car magazines and award-bestowing organizations included) is just fawning over Ford right now, so for what it's worth I expect a lot of "game-changer" language and probably NACOTY and Motor Trend COTY awards, which will give the Fiesta about as good a shot as it's going to get.

Ball's in your court now, America!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Well clearly every major media outlet (car magazines and award-bestowing organizations included) is just fawning over Ford right now, so for what it's worth I expect a lot of "game-changer" language and probably NACOTY and Motor Trend COTY awards, which will give the Fiesta about as good a shot as it's going to get.

Ball's in your court now, America!
My sentiments exactly. If this doesn't change things nothing will

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Ford Verve Concept

Hornbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Totally ridiculous contention.
Is it really, because I don't think so. America had the aging MK1 Focus for years after the MK2 Focus was launched, and the outcry over that was very loud. So now you have a proper Euro Fiesta, the first thing most seem to have a cry about is the price in comparison to cheap, basic Korean rivals. Go figure. You can't have your cake and eat it to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
My point about the Fiesta is that it's an unproven name in NA going into a segment that is NOT a big seller and it appears that Ford is going to gamble that they can convince a buying public that sees all cars in this segment as cheap cars that you buy for your college kid or buy as your first car because your job's so basic that you can't afford something else.
Why must small cars always be accredited to poor college students? This will not just be a 'first car' effort like the Chevy Aveo, this is Fords gamble that people will downsize their car. And when they downsize their car, their expectations remain high. No one is questioning that the name is new, that's why Ford have created the hype they have, because they know they have to change the minds of American car buyers. As you said, most seem to want Kia Rio pricing, but with features and quality you'd expect of a modern Euro Ford. Ford have to overcome this, and I believe with the work marketing it, they will.