Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2019, 12:06 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road
Default 2020 Cadillac CT4

CT4-V revealed, ahead of the regular spec CT4 in a few weeks.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...v-ct5-v-debut/

Not sure how I feel about that rear end...and the interior is almost identical to the CT5?! Come on, Caddy.

Last edited by pjl35; 05-31-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

caarmike is on a distinguished road

Isn't it just a facelifted ATS?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Honestly for a V it looks a bit underwheeIed. I know Cadillac is toning down the V series cars but 320 hp? That’s barely even V Sport territory. Then again this is more of an S3 competitor if the CT4 is moving down a segment from the ATS, of which this is definitely a heavy facelift.

Will need to see more pictures before I decide how I feel about it overall. Front end seems a touch boxy.

Last edited by SV; 05-31-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:28 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

That is simply gorgeous. They took that dull ATS and made it sparkle. This is as stupendously perfect as the XT5 is stupendously horrendous and vile.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Then again this is more of an S3 competitor if the CT4 is moving down a segment from the ATS, of which this is definitely a heavy facelift.
Car and Driver says that the pricing will significantly undercut the ATS, w/ base versions possibly dropping into the low $30k (!). They guess the -V will be in the low $40k. The electrical architecture has been completely upgraded to allow for the use of Super Cruise.

Not sure what kind NVH such a large 4-cyl will have, but, if C&D's guesses are correct, that could make this a pretty compelling buy (and a nice contrast vs. the larger and presumably less refined and more clumsy Stinger). Shame about the standard RFT, though....
Old 05-31-2019, 01:13 PM
Raconteur

Why do you presume the Stinger is less refined and clumsy? Reviews haven't found it to be clumsy and Cadillacs are as refined as Chevys.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
That is simply gorgeous. They took that dull ATS and made it sparkle. This is as stupendously perfect as the XT5 is stupendously horrendous and vile.
I came here to post exactly this, although, of course, without your inimitable style.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Why do you presume the Stinger is less refined and clumsy? Reviews haven't found it to be clumsy and Cadillacs are as refined as Chevys.
B/c the Stinger is 8 inches longer, 3 in wider, and about 400 lbs heavier. Lighter and smaller usually wins.

The reviews I've read (from car mags) always seem to hedge a little bit. "It's a great first attempt." To me, that says that there is considerable room for improvement, although a welcome surprise from what Kia has produced thus far. Some reviews have also pointed out some highway noise (not surprising for a hatch) and some resonance in the rear. Motor Trend was surprised by how undersprung (not sure if that's the correct technical term) the ride was and how much roll there was (I'm actually fine w/ a bit of a roll).

I drove one (GT2), but only around the street (my own skills don't allow for more than vaguely spirited street driving). It's a nice drive, but the steering is pretty anodyne (although very well weighted and direct). Couldn't really tell much about ride/handling combo on the street, although the ride didn't seem obviously overly firm. All the power is great but totally irrelevant to my own daily drive (I'd probably be more than fine w/ the 4-cyl).

Interior is a nice design but spartan and a bit dour.

I don't think the Stinger is at all terrible, and I'm sure it'd be very pleasant to own. It provides a sporting RWD car at an affordable starting price, which is great. We shall see what Cadillac can do at possibly the same price. Given where I live (and where I need to park on a regular basis), a smaller car (esp a relatively narrow one) is just way easier to live w/. Back space is totally unimportant to me since I just use it as a package shelf. ;)

It's a win-win for car enthusiasts to have two potentially good choices in that price range.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:08 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

I’ve been looking at live photos and it’s coming together for me, looks-wise. I like it quite a lot now. And since this is basically a reskinned ATS it will almost certainly blow the A3 and A-Class out of the water dynamically, while the small interior won’t matter as much as when it was competing against the 3-series etc.

My only issue is that this really should have been called V Sport. It sounds like there might still be a higher-performance option, more like the Vs of old; I wonder what that will be called if it happens...

Last edited by SV; 05-31-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:11 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
...Lighter and smaller usually wins...
The Mitsubishi Mirage must be an amazing drive by that logic.