Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I do hope that the matter is resolved and corrected, and that others even learn from it.

One thing that I have to add - if this jeopardized the position of Martin Winterkorn, I would bet that Ferdinand Piech is sitting there watching and reading about this and impishly smiling, for he wanted Winterkorn ousted.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/vw-...peed-dual.html

Probably a victim to the billions needed elsewhere, or just too complicated, even for German engineers. That said, given the failure rate of current DSGs, adding more complexity is probably not the first thing coming to a sane man's mind....

On a sidenote: The comment "it's actually a five speed single clutch..." made my day ;)
Old 09-23-2015, 04:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Winterkorn has resigned: http://jalopnik.com/martin-winterkor...die-1732559001
Old 09-23-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'm sure the Board gave him an option: resign or be fired.

Many more heads are going to roll.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
I'm sure the Board gave him an option: resign or be fired.
Oh absolutely.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post

Many more heads are going to roll.
And if they roll enough heads, get out in front with the PR, and install spokespeople who can communicate, they can pull out of this.

How about a 10 year / 100K mile powertrain warranty on all TDIs sold that are thus affected?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Building on what I said upthread, this is all a weird concidence, for Dr. Ferdinand Piech, as he was board-chairman, wanted to oust Martin Winterkorn, but, many or most were in Winterkorn's support, so, in defeat, Piech left the position and the company. Fast-forward, and now, this "Diesel Scandal" happens, and Winterkorn resigns effective immediately.

I'm thinking that Dr. Piech must be watching and reading all of the new, TV and internet, and smiling at it all. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if he returned to the company, I'm just sayin'. Now the company is without a Chief, but, I believe that information may be revealed on Friday, as reports have indicated. Word even had it that the Porsche CEO may be up for the position, but, that's just rumor and speculation at this point.

Even odder, if the Porsche CEO rose the parent-company Chief, there was that time that Porsche was attempting to purchase Volkswagen AG, which failed, and also resulted in Porsche becoming a division of the company. This would be where truth is stranger, and even more entertaining, than fiction.

It was also mentioned upthread that it could very well be possible that Winterkorn could have been given a choice by the Board of Directors to either resign, or be fired, that's appears logical.

Update: an additional report states that Winterkorn is getting $32-million as part of his resignation.

Last edited by 63Bonneville; 09-24-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Bonneville View Post
Update: an additional report states that Winterkorn is getting $32-million as part of his resignation.
It's always great when CEOs which effectively fail big time still receive a premium in excess of what most off us will probably make in a lifetime....
Old 09-24-2015, 02:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Add BMW to the list, at least to a certain extent:

"[T]he X3 xDrive 20d has failed during a street test performed by the International Council on Clean Transportation, showing more than eleven times higher emissions of nitric oxide than permitted by the European Union.
The information is still not confirmed by the Bavarian manufacturer, but the shares of the company have already fallen with more than 8% since Thursday morning."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11509249...-levels-shares
Old 09-24-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

How about a 10 year / 100K mile powertrain warranty on all TDIs sold that are thus affected?
The handling of the current owners and dealers is perhaps the most critical part of their PR effort. However, I expect the owners will be forced to have the parts installed and the software overwritten, given that the cars are illegal.

I would like to see VW offer buybacks at original list price, no "current market value" BS, since CMV is garbage. I doubt they have the chestnuts to do so.