There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Talking 20?? Porsche Cayenne Coupe

Caught testing apparently

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/bus...e-working.html

If Landrover is turning a coupe into a coupe with their sport model, why not Porsche add a coupe version of the cayenne?

I kind of like the arches on the mule.

Unless this isn't a Porsche and whatever is testing is something else.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Raconteur

Ironically, that's what the Cayenne needed to be all along even though the conventional version is the cash cow.

BMW may have shown the way on crossovercoupes, but both BMW and Mercedes have done them awkwardly.

I think the prototype is stunning. Home run.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Thankfully, it's only a mule, as the final product wouldn't want to look nearly as ungainly.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Oh dear, it was just a question of time until the third huge German hatchback coupe SUV arrives. IMO the Macan design is sporty enough and quite good looking, I have to admit) without the need to copy the X6 roof line for a "sport" SUV, they should have gone with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Ironically, that's what the Cayenne needed to be all along even though the conventional version is the cash cow.
And yes, a Porsche SUV should be more "coupe" looking than the first Cayenne was. However, IMO this means the next Cayenne might end up even ungainlier, with 7 seats or so, to really cover every niche with every brand....
Old 08-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
...However, IMO this means the next Cayenne might end up even ungainlier, with 7 seats or so, to really cover every niche with every brand....
The Cayenne is 100% about making money and 0% about being a Porsche. It is what it is...a VW Touareg with a Porsche snout and made for people who want a Porsche, but hate sports cars with a passion.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:21 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
who want a Porsche, but hate sports cars with a passion.
Actually that's true. All Cayenne drivers (or those considering one) I know actually hate anything sports car like (low, hard, loud, manual gear - god beware - or even an overly sharp steering), but they want the badge desperately. Because they see themselves as "winners".....
Old 08-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Actually that's true. All Cayenne drivers (or those considering one) I know actually hate anything sports car like (low, hard, loud, manual gear - god beware - or even an overly sharp steering), but they want the badge desperately. Because they see themselves as "winners".....
I drove a Cayenne once--it was a V6--and there was nothing that special about it. Yes it was luxurious and all that, but nothing game changing. Porsche so needs to ditch the Touareg/Q7 anchor that dumbs the Cayenne down.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
I drove a Cayenne once--it was a V6--and there was nothing that special about it. Yes it was luxurious and all that, but nothing game changing
It is good enough for the customers, most just want the badge anyway, and I doubt too many badge snobs test many other brands, let alone any plebeian brand where they might notice the differences probably small
Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/porsc...-13805563.html

Now the real deal testing. If you like your Cayenne with a slightly faster (Panamera like) back, this is it; However, in my eyes, the difference between the anyway comparably sporty looking Cayenne ( in comparison to a GLE or X5) and this coupe version doesn't seem as noticeable as with the other German culprits;

Given you don't buy a Cayenne for it#s practicality anyway, and this doesn't seem to give up too much boot space, likely this version - given it might look more like the good looking Macan - could quickly become the better selling version, or, to put it that way, arguments for a regular back Cayenne could be few....
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM

It looks good, and should have been the original Cayenne. People that buy such cars are not bloody rich, in the sense they can sh*t on the seats and buy a new car. For any useful job, a (mini)van is always the best thing. The raked rear window does not rob any actual space, because no customer stores anything above or taller than luggage cover, except once in a blue moon, in which case renting a utility car is a better choice. Utility cars are so cheap, that you can even buy one, if you can afford anything German.

I know most people are claustrophobic, other wise cars would not be so stupidly engineered.
These claustrophobic people like it that when they are sitting in the car they can't touch the ceiling with their hands. But tall glasshouses (like the Fiat Multipla) look ugly. To counter this issue car makers raise the shoulder line to neck level, by improving the metal to glass ratio, but then so drivers/passengers can't see well out of the car.
See high quality illustration below:

The solution to the problem car makers have found -- a problem they created in first place, but this is a well known private or public business practice: create a problem, find a solution, cash in -- is to add 360 round view cameras, proximity sensors and make the car park itself. This atrophies the drivers' abilities, and they will demand even more assistants. Now you have the perfect addicted patient you can milk till his/her death, and even after their death through their already ill progeny.

I heard the next step is for cars to have no glass but to have virtual reality screens on which ads can be displayed.

What a beautiful world!

Quote:
I drove a Cayenne once--it was a V6--and there was nothing that special about it. Yes it was luxurious and all that, but nothing game changing. Porsche so needs to ditch the Touareg/Q7 anchor that dumbs the Cayenne down.
What would Porsche do differently about the Cayenne if if was not a rebadged VW Touareg? How is the X5 or GLE better than the Touareg, if not for the badge? Would they make a SUV version of the F150 Raptor with 33" tires?

What game changing thing do you expect or do you have in mind? Genuine question.

Last edited by Levi; 07-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.