Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 AM
CSS Oldtimer

The current Civic was a head-turner when it came out. It's chiseled and manly compared to this neutered and droopy looking Accord.

But what do I know, probably earned the title of 5th-best selling car in the US thanks to the CVT...LOL!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

CVTs arent bad, they may take some getting used to and most people either dont mind or arent quite aware of any major difference.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
CVTs arent bad, they may take some getting used to and most people either dont mind or arent quite aware of any major difference.
I must say I find a CVT actually very fine in most conditions. Yes, when you drive very hard, it is not in it's element, but 99% of the time, I am not pushing hard. And in stop and go, pulling away and cruising, they really shine. Only the best torque converter can hold up in terms of cruising, any double clutch transmission is jerky when pulling away, I yet have to come across a nice one. Yes, great when driven on a track, but pulling away, parking and often reliability makes them my least favorite transmission. probably a torque converter is tsill the best of both worlds, but I really don't mind most CVTs nowadays (some cheap small car units probably aside)
Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Raconteur

CVTs are the work of Satan. They don't feel like they know what they are doing and the howling!!! Honda's are less annoying and less prone to committing mechanical suicide than the crap in Nissans.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I must say I find a CVT actually very fine in most conditions. Yes, when you drive very hard, it is not in it's element, but 99% of the time, I am not pushing hard. And in stop and go, pulling away and cruising, they really shine. Only the best torque converter can hold up in terms of cruising, any double clutch transmission is jerky when pulling away, I yet have to come across a nice one. Yes, great when driven on a track, but pulling away, parking and often reliability makes them my least favorite transmission. probably a torque converter is tsill the best of both worlds, but I really don't mind most CVTs nowadays (some cheap small car units probably aside)
Agreed, it may not yet have its place in a high end RWD car (is there a Rwd with a CVT??) but it can really contribute to a smooth ride for all of most people's needs. And lets face it, when the third pedal goes away; the magic is lost anyway.

Then, as swizzle points out; there is the longevity problem well known among nissans (a company that often trailed in reliability). How is honda's reliability here?

I get the feeling that DCTs will disappear from high performance cars in favor of more sophisticated lockup automatics.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I had a 2014 or '15 Civic as a loaner for a day and I did not realize it was CVT until I learned about it later. So my impression is Honda CVT's are much better than Nissan's when it comes to driving experience. Or it could be Nissan's touchy gas pedals too...

But if it were a performance-oriented car and you drove it every day, the ugly side of a CVT would come to light.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
So my impression is Honda CVT's are much better than Nissan's
Most things are better than Nissan, in every regard
Old 08-08-2017, 12:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
CVTs are the work of Satan. They don't feel like they know what they are doing and the howling!!! Honda's are less annoying and less prone to committing mechanical suicide than the crap in Nissans.
For the vast majority of consumers, there is nothing wrong w/ CVT's. They provide an uneventful driving experience that delivers superior fuel economy to traditional gearboxes. Honda have made their use pretty indistinguishable from the traditional transmissions.

For purists - ya, we notice them. But for the Camry drivers of the world - they're fine.

Separately, I STILL cant get over that Honda thought that face was a good idea...I went back to the first page of this thread - nope, still spectacularly hideous. Maybe it's one of those things where it'll look better in real life? I saw the updated Sonata the other day - it looks damn fine in person. Why anyone would choose an Accord over this is beyond me.

Last edited by Crash; 08-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:18 AM
CSS Oldtimer

The accord feels firmer and a bit higher end in operation and feel; sensible "car enthusiasts" tend to have them.