CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Can you imagine how expensive it would be to replace the screen? Yikes.
This is my main gripe wiuth these all digital cockpits - first screens started appearing in the 90ies in monochrome and basically all had dead pixels after few years, increasing to the level that in anything older than 6 or 7 years they become illegible, with replacements at ridiculous prices, and even newer screens often have a lot of troubles. Even if dead pixels or a dead "touch recognition digitizer" can be fixed in some models without replacing the whole unit, pulling apart the whole interior is expensive af and usually leaves the car rattling once put together by your backyard mechanic....

And just count the percentage of 5 year old smartphones with superbly working screens....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,475
Default

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...8-8512222.html

Showing just a little more, shape now quite ewasy to maker out, also lights seem to be final units;



It deosn't really seem much different to the current Z4, only the fabric roof is a bigger change, and - like with most new Bimmers - the double kidney grille seems to grow quite a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 AM
ocn75 ocn75 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
It doesn't really seem much different to the current Z4...
So it'll be no oil painting then...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2017, 07:31 AM
AM2's Avatar
AM2 AM2 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,522
Default

Is there any actual evidence that the new Z4 will be renamed Z5?

In BMW's naming convention each series usually comes in pairs except for the 7(at least for now).
1-series & 2-series
3-series & 4-series
5-series & 6-series
7-series
The higher number models in the pair are usually the more expensive derivative, this is the reason BMWs more recent sports cars & coupes have even-numbered model names.
The recently discontinued Z4 was a 3-series derived sports car, so it's badged as a "4".

If the new BMW Z sportscar is 3-series level, it should still be badged as a "Z4" but if it's 5-series level, then it should be badged as a "Z6".
Calling it "Z5" doesn't make much sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...8-8512222.html

Showing just a little more, shape now quite ewasy to maker out, also lights seem to be final units;



It deosn't really seem much different to the current Z4, only the fabric roof is a bigger change, and - like with most new Bimmers - the double kidney grille seems to grow quite a bit.
I think the trunk is now slightly lower and flatter since they got rid of the folding hardtop,

Last edited by AM2; 01-25-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2017, 08:41 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
Is there any actual evidence that the new Z4 will be renamed Z5?
Well, so far all media claim it, and given this should be a - more or less - dedicated platform, they could argue a higher positioning. And the naming scheme isn't that logical withe r(well, better than Mercedes), as the GT version of the 3 series and 5 series remain in the lineup, whilst in the smaller 1 series it is upgraded to the coupe range (and, if you want, derived from the "sub 1 series Mini" platform; The Z8 was actually related to the 5 series as well).

I guess as the Z4 has already been phased out, getting an "all new Z5 series" gives marketing less to explain why the previous model has had a break of a year or two due to slow sales. Also, the higher the number, the higher the price, and I doubt it will be cheaper, even if the expensive folding hardtop is gone. But, ultimately, we will only know the actual name when BMW releases it for the first time officially)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 AM
AM2's Avatar
AM2 AM2 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Well, so far all media claim it, and given this should be a - more or less - dedicated platform, they could argue a higher positioning. And the naming scheme isn't that logical withe r(well, better than Mercedes), as the GT version of the 3 series and 5 series remain in the lineup, whilst in the smaller 1 series it is upgraded to the coupe range (and, if you want, derived from the "sub 1 series Mini" platform; The Z8 was actually related to the 5 series as well).

I guess as the Z4 has already been phased out, getting an "all new Z5 series" gives marketing less to explain why the previous model has had a break of a year or two due to slow sales. Also, the higher the number, the higher the price, and I doubt it will be cheaper, even if the expensive folding hardtop is gone. But, ultimately, we will only know the actual name when BMW releases it for the first time officially)
The new naming convention was only applied to the rest of the BMW range within this decade.
It looks like the fastback-MPV-ish LWB Gran Turismo models will get even number models names like their Coupe and Gran Coupe siblings.
The outgoing 5-series Gran Turismo replacement will supposedly be badged as the 6-series Gran Turismo.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/12/25/kn...-gran-turismo/

I think it's only logical that the new Z should have an even number name since BMW's sporty coupe models have even number names.
PS: Even if BMW says the new Z's platform is dedicated, I have a feeling it will still use bits from the sedan and coupe models. I'm curious if it will have an M-Powered version.

Last edited by AM2; 01-25-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 AM
ocn75 ocn75 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,186
Default

More pics: with top down and Supra too:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/524777/2...a-supra-coupe/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:40 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn75 View Post
More pics: with top down and Supra too:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/524777/2...a-supra-coupe/
Somehow both cars start to look rather mehhh....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM
ocn75 ocn75 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Somehow both cars start to look rather mehhh....
Yeh, can't say I'm feeling the love for either to be honest.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 AM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is offline
CSS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,245
Default

More pics, incl a few interior shots.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...new-spy-images
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy