Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Alright, I've complied a list of all nominees so far, based on members' nominations, in chronological order (for the most part):

Light and compact car: Fiat 500, Ford Focus (Euro), Mini Cooper, Mazda2

Medium-sized car: Ford Mondeo, Cadillac CTS, Mercedes C-Class, Chevy Malibu

Large car: Ford Taurus, Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe
(Unless we have new nominations, we might want to consider scratching the category this year; move Taurus to mid-size, and RR to Performance)

Performance: Ferrari F430 Scuderia, Lamborghini Reventon, Audi R8, Audi RS6 Avant, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, Mercedes CL65

People mover: Buick Enclave, Citreon C4 Picasso, Kia Rondo, Honda Odyssey, Mercedes E63 wagon, Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler T&C

Small SUV: Acura RDX, Volvo XC70, Toyota Highlander/Kluger, Mercury Mariner Hybrid, Saturn Vue/Opel Antara

Large SUV: Mazda CX-9, BMW X5, Hyundai Veracruz, Toyota Land Cruiser

(Suggestion: E63 Wagon to performance; Buick Enclave, Mazda CX-9, Hyundai Veracruz, Toyota/Highlander/Kluger, BMW X5. Volvo XC70(?) to midsize SUV; Toyota LC should be left in large but unless there are a few more, this category can't exactly go forward)

Pickup: Holden Commodore Ute

Commercial vehicle: Ford Super Duty, Fiat Fiorino (Citroen/Peugot), Renault Kangoo, Mercedes Benz Vito, Fiat Ducato

(suggest combining pickup and commercial vehicle)

Disqualified vehicles for various reasons:

Holden Commodore
Audi A4
Pontiac G8
Chevy Silverado
GMC Sierra
Jaguar XF
Ford Kuga
Volkswagen Tiguan
Land Rover LR2
Volvo S80
Mercedes S-Class
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Ford S-Maxx
Mercedes ML-Class
Toyota Sequoia
Infiniti EX

If you feel any of the above should be moved back, let us know; or vice versa - nomination list should be moved down to the disqualified section.

One issue, since it was pointed out LR2 is disqualified - super recalled the Freelander had already been nominated, then Pontiac G8 will be in the same boat next year. You guys make the call, either way.

Last edited by knicks125; 12-12-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

What was the issue with G8? Not on sale yet? I dunno if it should be let in, as its on sale in many countries, but how do others feel?

knicks, great recomendations. I think all are great except making large SUVs mid sizers. TWo problems - LC200 would be left alone, and Veracruz and CX9 (etc) are pretty much large SUVs everywhere else in the worls (or at least in Australia and here in Suth America) but I'm open to more suggestions with that category...

Knicks, thanks for sorting out all the nominees!

Also, I was considering, once the winners are annouced, should we put them head to head to find a single, CSS COTY?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:29 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Well, the G8 is expected on go on sale in the US next year; it shouldn't be in this year which is why it is already on the disqualified list. That wasn't the point, though :)

As it was pointed out (by you iirc), the LR2 didn't qualify since the Freelander had already been on the list previously, I said the G8 will be in the same boat since the Commodore is the LR2 equivalent of the Freelander. So you and others can should decide whether to allow G8 next year (in which case the LR2 should also be allowed); or disallow the G8 next year since it is the Commodore, which has been on the ballot already.

Does that make sense to you?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 AM
CSS Oldtimer

The EX is on sale already?? Also, I know Sierra was last year but does Sierra Denali still count? I don't think it was out then but if I'm the only one voting for it then don't worry about it.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Doesn't look like it (as of November 30, 2007); also the EX is only sold in the US I believe within the next few weeks. This is off.

I think we can wiggle some room for the Sierra Denali, what do you guys think?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to (Player4)

I know this would really suck to do but if a list was posted with all the contenders it would be great.
It would really help make a wise decison because one car that i set my mind on tonight might change tmrw as i see a car that i forgot about.

Dont know if anyone is up for it?

I would help we can divide it up by categories, or makes.??

Anybody think this is a good idea? Or maybe its just me lol
Old 12-12-2007, 05:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Jorge, this is just the thread to nominate cars, so we're precisely trying to get that list together ;)

Obviously there will be plenty more ellegible cars but if there are any good enough to be nominated they will.

Knicks, I understand now.

The dilemma is, we allowed the Nissan Navarra (Frontier) Last year because it was new in some markets but not new in the USA. But then again, we could allow the Gen 1 Ford Focus because it was just launched here (Thats right the 10 year old model) and so on, so at what point does a market become large enough to make the vehicle launch there worthy of a COTY Nomination?

USA is certainly big enough I guess, so if we allowed the Navarra before, perhaps we should allow the LR2 now and the Pontiac G8 next year?

And by then the G8 will be 3 years old... But its the fair thing to do I guess?

If so, LR2 is in... and someone better informed can tell me what other products would be in.

I would also like to Nominate the Dacia Logan MLV and the Renault Logan Sandero.

Question - Is the Fiat Grande Punto Abarth on sale yet?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Last two days to nominate guys, I'll set the voting when I come back on Wednesday here.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Here is the final list as it will appear in voting shortly (Gathering pictures and info right now):

Small and Compact: Fiat 500, Ford Focus (Euro), Mini Cooper, Mazda 2, Renault Logan Sandero

Mid Sized: Ford Mondeo, Cadillac CTS, Mercedes-Benz C Class, Chevrolet Malibu.

Large: Ford Taurus, Audi RS6 Avant, Mercedes-Benz E63, Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé

(knicks125, sorry I didn't follow this suggestion, as I felt that after moving RS6 from performance and E63 from people mover, this category is a bit more fair for all)

Performance: Ferrari F430 Scuderia, Lamborghini Reventón, Audi R8, Subaru Imprezza WRX STi, Mercedes Benz CL65

People Mover: Buick Enclave, Citroen C4 Picasso, Kia Rondo, Honda Odyssey, Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country, Dacia Logan MLV.

Small/Mid sized SUV: Acura RDX, Volvo XC70, Toyota Highlander/Kluger, Mercury Mariner Hybrid, Saturn Vue / Opel Antara / Holden Captiva

Mid/Large SUV: Mazda CX9, BMW X5, Hyundai Veracruz, Toyota LC200

Commercial Vehicle: Holden Commodore Ute, Ford Super Duty, Renault Kangoo, Fiat Fiorino (Citroen/Peugeot partners), Mercedes-benz Vito, Fiat Ducato.

The deal with LR2 and G8 - I reckon the fairest thing is to disqualify a vehicle that is new worldwide the previous year, but new in the USA on the year of the award, hence LR2 is disqualified this year and G8 will be disqualified next year.

Final Questions -

* Is the Jaguar XF Not on sale already?
* Should we move Highlander/Kluger to Mid/Large SUV? It seems larger than an X5...

Voting up soon.

FYI - Voting this year will be in the form of points given to each of the nominees, so you're not only voting for your fave but for every single contestant. This is, IMO, fairer and closer to COTY awards from magazines and other motoring sources ;)
Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfresa View Post
* Is the Jaguar XF Not on sale already?
Not till March in the UK apparently, but I saw a registered XF in black yesterday with 2 businessmen inside it. Didn't get my camera out quick enough!

EDIT: by 'registered' I mean it had a license plate/number plate!

^^^CLICK the link^^^