Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Default Nano

I'm really excited about this car...it's fascinating. Especially when you consider the price. Yes I have reservations about the safety levels ( how structurally rigid is it?? no ESP, ABS ) but when you consider the price it's an achievement!!! Here in the UK the base price of a Mitsubishi I-Car is 8999 ( it looks pretty similar to the Nano, also rear engined, rear wheel drive ) so why waste 7700??

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh ( whenever that will be )...
Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I have to say this:
This Tata Nano vehicle reminds me of the car in the Cyclops comic-spot which used to run in Road & Track publication! The cartoon-work was created by Stan Mott for the magazine.
Either click on the link or copy & paste the URL below into your browser:

http://www.sbiii.com/cyclops.html

Some of you may remember, or at least have seen this. Even a full-sized mock-up (don't recall if it ran or not) was built of the Cyclops cartoon-car, it's pictured in the site linked above.
Seeing the Tata Nano made this come to mind with me.

Last edited by 63Bonneville; 01-11-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

actually, i like it. it's extremely simple, but that just adds to the appeal. and tbh i was expecting something horrible, but this is actually pleasantly surprising...it looks modern. the interior is amazingly sparse, but then that's to be expected for $2500.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 AM

For all the people who think it sucks.... tough, they dont give a crap. This car has a specific target in mind and will suit that intended market just fine. 3 years ago, everyone laughed at Tata, but now VW, GM, Renault, Honda and Toyota are all planning similar cars, but I doubt they will be able to match the base Nano in price. :)
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramRao View Post
For all the people who think it sucks.... tough, they dont give a crap. This car has a specific target in mind and will suit that intended market just fine. 3 years ago, everyone laughed at Tata, but now VW, GM, Renault, Honda and Toyota are all planning similar cars, but I doubt they will be able to match the base Nano in price. :)

None of those makers you named are planning cars like this. They're planning small cars, yes, but not of the Nano's 'disposable' type. And don't think Tata is leading the way here, because they're not. Every major manufacturer has, at some point in their history, created a car that was inexpensive and meant for mass consumption on a scale that hadn't been seen in their respective countries. It is a milestone for Tata, but it does also show how far behind the other manufacturers they really are. (Ford's version, the Model T, came onto the market 100 years ago this year, for example)

That being said; the design has grown on me since I first saw it, but I still am concerned about the safety aspect of the car, despite Ratan Tata's assurances that it will meet guidelines.

Last edited by JBlair; 01-11-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Thumbs up Tata Nano is a awesome car!

Hey

For all those who have been nothing but critical about the car and the company, I understand your criticism IT IS NOT MEANT FOR YOU! For the people and the countries its made for it serves its purpose. Mr.Tata, himself, says that after success in India it might go to other countries in South-East Asia and South America.

Just to bring some information in for you guys...

Quotes by automobile industry leaders:
Quote:

"IT CANT BE DONE"
"We cannot make a cheaper car. We don’t know how to make a 1 lakh car unless we sacrifice something. We won’t go below the 800 in our product line-up."
Shinzo Nakanishi | MD, SUZUKI, INDIA before the Nano launch
(Thats despite Suzuki being know for making cheap compact cars.)

"They have dome a fantastic job. It is good for the consumer and creates a new segment. We will have to see when they actually start selling the car."
Sylvain Bilaine | MD, Renault India.

"We have been considering the possibility of a mass car. So far, even our feeling was that such a car can’t be made, but we'll take a closer look at this and explore all possible ways."
Arvind Saxena | SENIOR VP, MARKETING & SALES, HYUNDAI

"I haven't seen the car yet, but there must be something for us to learn from the viewpoint of manufacturing technology and cost-cutting measures.
M Takedagawa | PRESIDENT & CEO, HONDA CARS INDIA

"I think it's a moment of history and I'm delighted an Indian company is leading the way."
ANAND MAHINDRA | MD, MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA LTD
(Tata's main competitors, even in buying Jaguar-LR)

"I’ve seen the car, but I don’t want to comment on it."
Rajiv Bajaj | MD, BAJAJ AUTO
(they launched their mini car 2 days before the launch of Nano)

"They will re-write the rules of the game for all car manufacturers, not just in India. This will have ramifications on the way cars are designed globally."
Dilip Chhabria | Chairman and MD, DC Design
(the guy who helped Aston Martin design V8 vantage)

"It’s a red letter day for Indian manufacturing. It will redefine the way the world will look at Indian manufacturing from now on."
Venu Srinivasan | CMD, TVS MOTORS
(manufacturer of bikes and scooters in Indian subcontinent)

"Although I can’t say that there will be no customers who will opt for the car instead of buying a two-wheeler, we are not worried as there is huge growth potential in the two wheeler industry. Buyers of high-end bikes are bike enthusiasts."
Pawan Munjal | MD, HERO HONDA

"This is an important step for Asian markets. I look forward to this car being introduced in European markets."
G. COLQUHOUN | READER IN MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS, SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING, LIVERPOOL, UK.

And finally what really matters:

"It is a dream come true. I look forward to buying that car. My wife will be really happy."
ASHOK SINGH | CONSTABLE, DELHI POLICE
(the target customer of Tata Nano)

And remember, these guys know (more than you and me) what they are talking about.

Other car companies might have done it hundred years ago... when no laws existed, but for a uprising company to do it in 21st century, meeting its market's (and some international laws eg EURO IV), with modern styling, 4 doors, is a feat worth applauding for.

Think of it as a car for what its made for, not for you....who if with no money, can buy a 10 year old car for pennies/cents. In India, they dont have cars that survive, on their pot-holed roads, for more than 7-8 years, and the ones which do, will fall apart in days of buying.

MY OPINION: I will probably never get to buy this car, and even if available here in UK, will not buy it. But think of people who its made for and I think its a brilliant car. And with the car they are offering for $2500, it is amazingly brilliant.

Reference: The target consumer for Tata Nano:

Oh... by the way, this is what another south-east asian car manufacturer (from Pakistan) came up for the same price.......

Last edited by redcandle; 01-11-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
Hey

For all those who have been nothing but critical about the car and the company, IT IS NOT MEANT FOR YOU! For the people and the countries its made for it serves its purpose. Mr.Tata, himself, says that after success in India it might go to other countries in South-East Asia and South America.
Just because its not meant for us doesn't mean we can't be critical of it. The reason why its being criticized is because it isn't a revolutionary car by any stretch of the imagination, despite what a few people may be saying. Any car manufacturer could, if it wanted to, make a car as cheap as the Nano. They choose not to.

As a car, it is a completely unknown quantity. Because Tata is not providing much information about construction and where the corners were cut, it is impossible to know if this car will live up to they hype that the company has created around it. If the rumors about where the corners have been cut are true (such as parts being glued together instead of welded) then it is likely that the reason it is so cheap is because the company chose to use methods that other more experienced manufacturers have refused to try for their own reasons. It'll be interesting to see how the crash tests come out under NCAP standards, and whether this car ekes its way through them or fails miserably.

Look, I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe that we shouldn't be allowed to criticize its glaringly obvious flaws just because it isn't meant for us. Its a perfectly adequate car for that part of the world, and will serve its intended market, but it isn't revolutionary.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlair View Post
If the rumors about where the corners have been cut are true (such as parts being glued together instead of welded) then it is likely that the reason it is so cheap is because the company chose to use methods that other more experienced manufacturers have refused to try for their own reasons. It'll be interesting to see how the crash tests come out under NCAP standards, and whether this car ekes its way through them or fails miserably.
The car's parts have not been glued together... read this article/interview with Mr.Tata and at some point it does refer to that and the materials used....
http://www.tata.com/0_media/features...e_lakh_car.htm

And as far as crash tests are concerned, they have met all crash test standards required in India and with time, if they bring it to Western world, like in Europe, they will develop it further to meet NCAP standards. (Nobody knows for sure if it doesn't already.)

The car is revolutionary.... not in the sense that it will change how every car is made in the world, but, in the sense that it has, by innovating new technologies, produced a car for that segment of the market that could previously, have not been able to afford a car. Watch this video from BBC......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...1&nbwm=1&asb=1

And also.....

Last edited by redcandle; 01-11-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
The car's parts have not been glued together... read this article/interview with Mr.Tata and at some point it does refer to that and the materials used....
http://www.tata.com/0_media/features...e_lakh_car.htm

The car is revolutionary.... not in the sense that it will change how every car is made in the world, but, in the sense that it has, by innovating new technologies, produced a car for that segment of the market that could previously, have not been able to afford a car. Watch this video from BBC......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...1&nbwm=1&asb=1

What new technologies? From what you posted, this car uses technologies that every major manufacturer has used and, at this point, have moved beyond. Nothing in this car is beyond what established manufacturers are capable of, and it'll be interesting to see if any of the patents actually hold up. (which is unlikely, since much of the technology has likely already been used in at least a dozen other designs). I don't quite understand why people are so up in arms that this car is revolutionary, because it isn't. The concept of a car that is designed for the masses has been done dozens upon dozens of times. Just because this is the first time for the Indian market doesn't make this thing revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlair View Post
The concept of a car that is designed for the masses has been done dozens upon dozens of times. Just because this is the first time for the Indian market doesn't make this thing revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination.
Beg your pardon sir, but you are way off base. The Ford Model T was introduced in 1908 for a price equivalent in 2007 dollars to $19,000. The VW Beetle was introduced for a cost equivalent to $11,000.

This car costs less than $3,000. It creates an entirely new market segment.

And as for technology and patents, perhaps you could explain to Carlos Ghosn why he should not waste any more time tring to learn from frugal Indian engineering.