Default Dodge axes Grand Caravan and Journey per 2021 MY

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/02/...avan-dead-2021

That leaves Dodge with the following models:
- Charger (2nd generation since 2011)
- Challenger (since 2008)
- Durango (3rd generation since 2010)

That's not much more than Chrysler's lineup:
- 300 (2nd generation since 2011)
- Pacifica (since 2016, and the Voyager is just another Pacifica)

Instead of finally releasing long-promised replacements and new models, another two models get axed. The remaining models aren't too modern either. Another side-effect: With the Journey and the Grand Caravan, the crossair grill will be dead as well.

Sad to see Chrysler and Dodge in a state like this.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

Is it me, or none of the traditional american brands is doing well lately?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
Is it me, or none of the traditional american brands is doing well lately?
It's all about full sized trucks and SUVs of all sizes.

They are doing fine overall.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM

the future is on a distinguished road

Yes, it has been clear for the past years where the automotive market is heading to. That makes it very hard to understand why there is no Chrysler SUV (didn't they repetedly announce one?) and no second or third Dodge SUV. Jeep doesn't NEED to be the only SUV brand at FCA: Even Jaguar has its own SUVs despite having a SUV-only sister brand (Land Rover). And this seems to work. At FCA, however, it wouldn't surprise me if the Dodge Durango will be phased out as well.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Crazy Composer!

TdeV is on a distinguished road

They might as well just kill the brands with such a small and outdated portfolio. I wouldn't miss either of em honestly, on to newer and better things.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:33 PM

the future is on a distinguished road

It could also be a FCA strategy: Alfa Romeo has only 2 models as well (soon 3), and they let Lancia run with only 1 remaining model. For each car the best fitting brand. Still, crossovers are a thing, and Jeep isn't appropriate for crossovers. But Dodge and Chrysler are (and they still don't offer any crossovers). I like Dodge for what it is and would miss the brand (even "Dodge Ram" sounded cooler to me than just "RAM"). Chrysler, however...
Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

What will Dodge do now that RAM is spun off while the Charger and Challenger remain, long in the tooth as ever. But with as much HP as ever too.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future View Post
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/02/...avan-dead-2021

That leaves Dodge with the following models:
- Charger (2nd generation since 2011)
- Challenger (since 2008)
- Durango (3rd generation since 2010)

That's not much more than Chrysler's lineup:
- 300 (2nd generation since 2011)
- Pacifica (since 2016, and the Voyager is just another Pacifica)

Instead of finally releasing long-promised replacements and new models, another two models get axed. The remaining models aren't too modern either.
while I'd like to see all new products from FCA, the reality is they have a bunch of cash cows on their hands so why rush to replace them. Durango, Charger, Grand Cherokee, and Challenger were all at near decade high sales in 2019 despite their age. To me the issue is a lack of pipeline of new models, especially crossovers, opposed to a dated current lineup. As long as you offer Apple CarPlay you've pretty much future proofed your infotainment, even in a 12 year old car, so just keep the exterior fresh which i think they've done a good job of over the years.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:02 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
while I'd like to see all new products from FCA, the reality is they have a bunch of cash cows on their hands so why rush to replace them. Durango, Charger, Grand Cherokee, and Challenger were all at near decade high sales in 2019 despite their age. To me the issue is a lack of pipeline of new models, especially crossovers, opposed to a dated current lineup. As long as you offer Apple CarPlay you've pretty much future proofed your infotainment, even in a 12 year old car, so just keep the exterior fresh which i think they've done a good job of over the years.
I agree; Not only are those remaining models cash cows, they are cool too; The 300/Charger might not be the most modern offerings, but a lot more interesting than an Avalon or Hyundai Sonata, so kind of an antidote to those refined, reliable but also rather bland sedans; The cross over side of their lineup is IMO rather well setup anyway, with major updates (Grand Cherokee, Grand Wagoner) coming soon.

But a major thing is, the car market is changing super fast right now, the whole triangle between the shift to CUVs only, electric/plug in hybrid drive trains and autonomous cars makes it harder than ever to plan for a longer time, so I kind of get why FCA is rather milking the cows as long tas there is milk left and watch the market than invest in a new generation that might be dated quickly, because f the market.

The question of course will be if they manage to hit the point when it is really time to bring on something entirely new and different.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

63Bonneville is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

It's no surprise, as the Dodge Grand Caravan and Journey, which had long lifecycles, were both long in the tooth, from the DCX days, were mainly going to fleet-sales, and were lame-duck offerings. This was expected.

Now, Dodge is down to three offerings and Chrysler, two, and all chassis go back to DCX with the exception of the Chrysler Pacifica/Voyager, the most modern off the bunch. The Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger still ride on basically a 15-year old platform from DCX days, based on a past-generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class, although the Durango, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, rides on a past Mercedes-Benz ML (now GLE-Class) platform. Jeep Grand Cherokee is soon due for it's new-generation successor, which will be based on an all-new, FCA sourced platform, and it's reported that a longer, 3-row variant is in store, but, how will that effect the Dodge Durango, a 3-row. It could be that the personas differ-enough that there won't be so much product overlap, and the SUV is a cash-cow for the Dodge Division.

Dodge, although now whittled down to three model-lines, appears to be holding it's own quite well, having respect and recognition as American Muscle, as basically dated as the products may be. Chrysler seems to need more help, as it's the Pacifica/Voyager that is carrying the division, and the once-revered 300 sedan, long in the tooth, is basically just there, and I don't know if it will receive a successor, let alone if any other models are planned for Chrysler division.

Of course, needless to say, it's Jeep and Ram, serious cash-cows, that are getting most of the attention. Other divisions - Alfa-Romeo was set for major growth, but that plan was scrapped with the exception of the upcoming smaller crossover below the Stelvio. More focus is going to Maserati, with a mid-engined sportster/halocar coming up, a new twin-turbo V6-mill, hydridization and electrification, new-generation Gran Turismos, and down the road, a Stelvio-sized SUV below the Levante, and later, the Ghibli and Quattroporte may be merged into one car-line, according to reports, a large 4-door coupe, as the sedan market, as a whole languishes. Fiat will phase out the 500 in the USA, introduced a new all-electric 500 (not sure if that will reach the USDM), and likely merge to 500X and 500L into one model. Then there's the forgotten one, Lancia, has just one small model, the Ypsilon, and, I'm truly surprised that Lancia is not phased out.