Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift View Post
You mean to tell me that after years of preaching scales of economy and then finally hooking up with Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep, Marchionne plans on just letting them go? Is SM just a con-man or is there some actually strategy behind his moves?
I always assumed it is as simple as there are too many car manufacturers and some car manufacturers will be allowed to die because of this? This is all part of the restructuring of the global economy.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
SAIC/Nanjing could be an interesting bet to buy the American arm because their association with VW would allow the use of VW platforms to revitalize brands.
Their contract with VW pretty much specifically prohibits just that.

I still think the door is shut on FCA finding buyers. Hyundai is the only OEM with the cash right now, outside the Chinese, and the Chinese are going to be incredibly wary about investing in or taking over a US company in this political climate. That might explain why FCA is trying to unload Maserati and Alfa Romeo; as Italian brands, finding s Chinese buyer will be significantly easier.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Somehow I doubt Hyundai is the only OEM with big money right now, maybe after the Ioniq. And they have 2 brands which they manage well, in time they may figure what to do with hapless Genesis so I doubt they will take on anything foreign.

The Chinese may just buy a domestic brand to get a foot-hold into the US and absorb some IP for an advantage against their domestic peers.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:56 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
Somehow I doubt Hyundai is the only OEM with big money right now, maybe after the Ioniq. And they have 2 brands which they manage well, in time they may figure what to do with hapless Genesis so I doubt they will take on anything foreign.
Toyota has more money than anyone, but also the least interest in acquiring competitors, or even expanding their stakes in holdings including Subaru and Isuzu.

But among the the big global players, yeah, that's it. GM might have enough to acquire another automaker, but they would rather invest in other priorities, like building up EV and autonomy capabilities. Ford doesn't have the cash because they mortgaged the farm to avoid taking bailout money, VW is tapped from dieselgate, Nissan/Renault just bought Mitsubishi, and Honda and BMW are too small to acquire someone the size of FCA (and are both still incredibly gun shy after Rover).
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
...in time they may figure what to do with hapless Genesis...
Genesis (the car) has consistently met or exceeded Hyundai's sales goals even in the economic downturn. Modest goals yes, but far from hapless. Hapless = Infiniti and Cadillac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
..VW is tapped from dieselgate...
Not necessarily. It's partner SAIC-Nanjing could buy FCA with an internal agreement between VW and SAIC-Nanjing that VW will take on engineering. Or VW could very easily have floated the idea to the Chinese.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Assuming SAIC doesent kick VW to the curb for their continued unethical behavior. Since we are digging hard into the hypotheticalities.

Quote:
Toyota has more money than anyone, but also the least interest in acquiring competitors, or even expanding their stakes in holdings including Subaru and Isuzu.
I suppose we could agree to the moral of this story: Keep your brand count down to keep your money in the bank.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 AM
CSS Veteran

I still think a Chinese company is a non-starter. Remember: every Chinese company is part-owned by the Chinese government. How in the world would Hair Fuhrer spin selling one of America'a most iconic brands to the Chinese government in 140 characters?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Assuming SAIC doesent kick VW to the curb for their continued unethical behavior...
Because the Chinese have demonstrated stellar business ethics??
Old 01-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
I still think a Chinese company is a non-starter. Remember: every Chinese company is part-owned by the Chinese government. How in the world would Hair Fuhrer spin selling one of America'a most iconic brands to the Chinese government in 140 characters?
If a major Chinese company invested in job growth in the USA, it would be OK. President Trump is all about keeping jobs here. He could very easily use this as a massive win and I look forward to the coming fiscal sanity he will bring to the Oval Office.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
President Trump is all about keeping jobs here. He could very easily use this as a massive win and I look forward to the coming fiscal sanity he will bring to the Oval Office.
Pardon me while I laugh for the next four years over the pairing of Donald Trump and fiscal sanity. You're in for quite a rude awakening.

Last edited by pjl35; 01-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.