There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2016, 01:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Speaking of, rumors of a Maserati and Alfa Romeo sale:

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/12/fca...lfa-romeo.html
Old 12-29-2016, 02:04 PM

I think there are a few routes FCA could go to battle back, but it all hinges on the whims of its mercurial leader. Using the Giulia platform to underpin new rwd offerings for Chrysler would be a good start, but again, this would take a capital investment that I'm not sure they have. Selling off Magneti Marelli might be a means to that end.

I still think the solution to the small car problem might already be in-house. Fiat is a self-proclaimed small car whiz, so I would think that coming up with a product that can help both that brand and Dodge is just a matter of engineering a current product to be US legal - think Tipo.

As far as Maseratti goes, moving downmarket with the Ghibli was a mistake. Is Alfa just supposed to stop at a 5-series competitor and not move up to the 7 / A8 / S class? I know that may be wishful thinking, but I think as long as the quality and reliability are there (good luck with that) Alfa has a real shot at making inroads into the German dominated segments. If Jaguar can do it, why not?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

True enough the Quatroporte (and Ghibli?) ride on a variation of the Charger platform while the Giulia is on an all new architecture.

What a mess that company truly is.

VW, at least, seems to do a decent job of aligning platforms and keeping different brands on a current one.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Speaking of, rumors of a Maserati and Alfa Romeo sale:..
Two brands that would require massive investments to revitalize, so not worth it. That leaves their name value which is not worth it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift View Post
...As far as Maseratti goes, moving downmarket with the Ghibli was a mistake...If Jaguar can do it, why not?
Actually you're wrong. The Ghibli died because it was priced too high to compete with the A6/E/5 and when people caught on that is is a Chrysler 300, the price premium was not justifiable.

As for Jaguar "doing it", Jaguar--were it not for the promise of the F Pace--would be unsustainable as a brand by itself. Land Rover profits were the only thing keeping Jaguar alive because sales of the sedans and F Type are terrible. The F Pace will alleviate that, but Jaguar most decidedly did not "do it" b any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
...while the Giulia is on an all new architecture...
It depends on how you define all new architecture. The Giorgio platform has been widely reported to be a cut-down version of the Ghibli (nee Chrysler 300) with a few additional modifications. If your criteria is that the floorpan of the Giulia is not identical to that of the Ghibli, then yes, it's all new, but to ignore how it was derived would be idiocy. Similarly, the "all-new" platform under the Ghibli was justified by not being identical to that of the 300, but the only difference is a rather minor change to the front suspension.

Last edited by swizzle; 12-29-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:36 PM

[quote][As for Jaguar "doing it", Jaguar--were it not for the promise of the F Pace--would be unsustainable as a brand by itself. Land Rover profits were the only thing keeping Jaguar alive because sales of the sedans and F Type are terrible. The F Pace will alleviate that, but Jaguar most decidedly did not "do it" b any stretch of the imagination./QUOTE]

By "doing it", I meant that they have at least moved the needle when it comes to brand recognition. They were nearly invisible when Ford owned the company and now they actually have a presence in the marketplace. Are they a smashing sales success? Of course not. It's going to time to repair the damage years of mismanagement and horrible product quality have wrought on the brand. But I wouldn't call what they've done so far a failure. Rebuilding a marque to take on the Germans, model by model, is a massive undertaking. The fact that they've gotten this far is incredible. I would think that Alfa, with only two models to its name so far here in the states, would sign up for that in a heartbeat.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Easy to fix:

- Dump Alpha and Fiat
- New Journey ASAP
- - Leverage Pacifica Hybrid / PHEV guts to electrify Journey giving in it a competitive advantage
- - Badge engineer a Chrysler equivalent
- Push out the new 300 / Charger / Challenger ASAP
- Compact Chrysler / Dogde CUV using new Jeep Compass DNA
- new Ram full size
- New Ram compact
- new Jeep Grand Cherrokee / Cherokee
- Dump Renegade; it marginalized the brand
- use Fiat 500x guts for new Dogde / Chrysler compact CUV
- mortgage the hell out of everything to pay for it all

Most improtantlly, dump Sergio... stat
Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Easy to fix:

- Dump Alpha and Fiat
- New Journey ASAP
- - Leverage Pacifica Hybrid / PHEV guts to electrify Journey giving in it a competitive advantage
- - Badge engineer a Chrysler equivalent
- Push out the new 300 / Charger / Challenger ASAP
- Compact Chrysler / Dogde CUV using new Jeep Compass DNA
- new Ram full size
- New Ram compact
- new Jeep Grand Cherrokee / Cherokee
- Dump Renegade; it marginalized the brand
- use Fiat 500x guts for new Dogde / Chrysler compact CUV
- mortgage the hell out of everything to pay for it all

Most improtantlly, dump Sergio... stat
Do you really believe they would get the financing with so many banks in trouble?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Design View Post
Do you really believe they would get the financing with so many banks in trouble?
It's called sarcasm. It's obviously no easy fix to do all of the things he's mentioned.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Raconteur

FCA is NOT fixable, but Marchionne NEVER intended for FCA to be a company long term anyway.

This is why Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and Maserati are defined as separate legal entities from Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and Jeep with FCA owning both entities. In essence, FCA is a company that owns companies.

FCA is structured so as to be able to separate the halves quickly if need be. A suitor would definitely want Jeep and Ram and possibly a vanity brand like Alfa Romeo or Maserati.

The Chinese bought Volvo and the new Geelys on sale at Volvo dealerships are credible if not amazing.

SAIC/Nanjing could be an interesting bet to buy the American arm because their association with VW would allow the use of VW platforms to revitalize brands.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
FCA is NOT fixable, but Marchionne NEVER intended for FCA to be a company long term anyway.

This is why Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and Maserati are defined as separate legal entities from Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and Jeep with FCA owning both entities. In essence, FCA is a company that owns companies.

FCA is structured so as to be able to separate the halves quickly if need be. A suitor would definitely want Jeep and Ram and possibly a vanity brand like Alfa Romeo or Maserati.

The Chinese bought Volvo and the new Geelys on sale at Volvo dealerships are credible if not amazing.

SAIC/Nanjing could be an interesting bet to buy the American arm because their association with VW would allow the use of VW platforms to revitalize brands.
You mean to tell me that after years of preaching scales of economy and then finally hooking up with Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep, Marchionne plans on just letting them go? Is SM just a con-man or is there some actually strategy behind his moves?