currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2019, 02:18 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Acura TLX

And here's the TLX:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ui-apk-980889/

Supposedly taking the place of the RLX and current TLX.
I think it looks sharp, but the tail lights feel chinese to me.

Last edited by Nicktyelor; 07-12-2019 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Is acura even testing this new TLX? can't find any test cars.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:18 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

I don't see this helping sales much....
Old 07-12-2019, 06:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

63Bonneville is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

This actually looks like it's rear-wheel-drive, it has the proportions, and with a longer steering wheel-to-axle ratio. It's either a new-generation TLX, and RLX (maybe renamed "Legend"), or one model to succeed both.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

It's not special. It's not egregiously ugly, but neither is it attractive. It's trying to be bold and tame at the same time. Acura can give us the Precision Concept but is incapable of translating that excellence to production. This will be another TLX stumble.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Bonneville View Post
This actually looks like it's rear-wheel-drive, it has the proportions, and with a longer steering wheel-to-axle ratio. It's either a new-generation TLX, and RLX (maybe renamed "Legend"), or one model to succeed both.
I disagree. That front overhang looks FWD to me. However, I rather like the looks of it, although that could be in comparison to the current line-up.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl500 View Post
I disagree. That front overhang looks FWD to me. However, I rather like the looks of it, although that could be in comparison to the current line-up.
I was going more by the space between the back of the wheel-opening and the front door, but, then again, here is some front-overhang that appears to be FWD.

Past Acura Legends (1990s) have had a longer front and more steering-wheel to axle ratio for the engine was longitudinal/north-south, like Audi models in it's front-drive setup. Later generations (RL and RLX) received the more common transverse/east-west setup. Same with a Honda Prelude from the 1990s, which has a long-hood and far steering-wheel to axle ratio, as that may have also had a north-south engine/FWD setup.

Then again, the latest Volvo sedan and wagon models (S90 V90, S60 & V60) have proportions that appear RWD, with a long hood and longer steering-wheel to axle ratios and shorter front overhangs, and these are FWD-bias transverse setups, although most are AWD.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Increasing the space behind the wheel also improves crash safety due to more space to design in offset crash strength.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Bonneville View Post
Past Acura Legends (1990s) have had a longer front and more steering-wheel to axle ratio for the engine was longitudinal/north-south, like Audi models in it's front-drive setup. Later generations (RL and RLX) received the more common transverse/east-west setup. Same with a Honda Prelude from the 1990s, which has a long-hood and far steering-wheel to axle ratio, as that may have also had a north-south engine/FWD setup.
My vague recollection was that Acura mentioned it might be moving back to a longitudinal engine layout, which might explain the (minimally) increased axle to dash ratio.

I assume this is a digital render, so, given the angle (not a pure profile), who knows what the real axle to dash ratio is. To me, this look like a FWD proportioned car, albeit a more expensive FWD car. I would say that the Volvo -60/-90 models have a longer axle to dash than does this car.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
My vague recollection was that Acura mentioned it might be moving back to a longitudinal engine layout, which might explain the (minimally) increased axle to dash ratio.

I assume this is a digital render, so, given the angle (not a pure profile), who knows what the real axle to dash ratio is. To me, this look like a FWD proportioned car, albeit a more expensive FWD car. I would say that the Volvo -60/-90 models have a longer axle to dash than does this car.
If Acura does move back to a longitudinal layout, at least for it's full-sized flagship sedan, that would be a good thing, it would have longer, more elegant and sexier proportions, have more cachet, and be taken more seriously, as well. I could see the next RLX (Legend?) being of this set-up, and the TLX successor still being a transverse FWD-bias setup, and the same for the crossover/SUVs, which would include the next MDX. In a perfect world, what would be nice would be a RWD large RLX/Legend flagship and a TLX mid-sized with the longitudinal FWD-bias setup. We have around a month or so, from this post, to find out more.

Somewhat off-topic, previous reports stated that the ZDX SUV-coupe could make a return. Now with the success of the BMW X6 and others following suit, it could have a better shot now.