Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Cameras

What cameras do you have and enjoy shooting with?

I have a Nikon D90, Canon s95 and Canon 5D which I use for different dealings. And then theres my HTC one which I use in a pinch.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Raconteur

Rebel XSi and T3i

8mm fisheye
12-28mm zoom
28-135 zoom
70-300 zoom
500mm mirror

The XSi will soon be my daughter's camera to be replaced by a new Canon.

Also
Mamiya RB67 and 645
Old 11-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Blue crazy moderator

At present I don't have the money and time for a proper camera (and indeed anything to use it for! ), but I will agree that the HTC One's camera is pretty spectacular! Would be interested in playing around with a new Nokia Lumia too...
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 11-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Raconteur

I've heard good things about the Lumia. I have also heard that the Canon 5D is very low on image "noise" which apparently is desirable when photoshopping. I don't do professional work that much anymore (used to be a side job) so that's why I've gone to the "consumer" grade Canons. Two things are true:

(1) Owning a Nikon does not make you a photographer. It' makes you a Nikon owner.

(2) Whatever camera someone has, it can only produce good pictures when the owner takes time to use and understand it. I've actually been to an exhibition by professional photographers of pictures taken on their PHONES! They were quite good and NOT heavily photoshopped.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The 5DmkIII specifically is a High Iso champ I didnt realize it was shooting in 25600 when I first started using it in a dark garage. I really think the lack of noise is due to it's relatively low megapixel count. Its hella heavy, theres stuff I would rather be using a small pocket camera with. Of course, what is weight when you are shooting medium format. Swizzle, i am surprised you dont have a "Nifty 50" (50mm F1.8).

Last edited by Naga Royal Guard; 11-30-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
At present I don't have the money and time for a proper camera (and indeed anything to use it for! ), but I will agree that the HTC One's camera is pretty spectacular! Would be interested in playing around with a new Nokia Lumia too...
I cant say that my HTC One's camera is better than even an iPhone 5 (or 4s for that matter). Its here, I use it and hope for the best. The rest of the phone is pretty awesome, however.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
...Swizzle, i am surprised you dont have a "Nifty 50" (50mm F1.8).
The 28-135 IS Canon lens does just fine at 50mm and I've never liked the 50mm focal length much anyway. Not wide enough for groups and too wide for head shots, which was the bulk of what I did. My recreational photography was mostly landscapes so ultrawide and telephoto were better than a 50. If I would buy a 50mm for my Canons it would be the 50mm f1.0.

When I shot film I had a 50mm 1.2 and it was a nice lens, but for head shots my 100mm lens was by far better. My equipment was Pentax at the time: K2DMD, an MX with motor drive, and a K1000. Still have the K1000 and an ME. The latter with a 40mm lens is a 35mm SLR that will fit in a pocket. Pentax did a great zoom, a 28-135 f4 that was pretty sharp.

Of course for serious portraiture, I used the Mamiyas. The RB67 is a tank of a camera that really should be on a tripod, but I would often hand hold it.

When I went autofocus, I switched to Canon EOS then stayed for digital. I am amazed by how low light the Rebel XSi and T3i will go. When I shot the boat races at the Salton Sea about 4 years ago the XSi wasn't as fast on its frames per second rate as I would have liked and I wished I still had the MX with the 5fps drive and bulk film back.

Then again, the autofocus corrects very well for a fast approaching target.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 AM
CSS Oldtimer

50mm is 75 on those cameras (crop sensor), its 50 on the 5d tho and has very little of the distortion and fringes as, say, the 20mm F2.8 does (such a bizarre lens). As its hella cheap (~$100) and relatively high aperture so its fun.

I know nothing of that F1.0 lens but that just sounds hella expensive. I'm no serious photographer, its just a constructive hobby for me.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
50mm is 75 on those cameras (crop sensor), its 50 on the 5d tho and has very little of the distortion and fringes as, say, the 20mm F2.8 does (such a bizarre lens). As its hella cheap (~$100) and relatively high aperture so its fun.

I know nothing of that F1.0 lens but that just sounds hella expensive. I'm no serious photographer, its just a constructive hobby for me.
Canon, Nikon, and Leica played around with the f1.0 (Leica was F0.95) in their rangefinder days. When Canon moved into SLRs, they did an f1.0 and Nikon went f1.2. Canon dropped the f1.0 for lack of sales, but people were converting their breech lock f1.0 lenses to Canon EOS mount and paying insane prices to get one, so Canon did a new f1.0. I cannot imagine it is a good seller, but they sell ABOVE list price when in stock.

The 50mm f1.0 is about $4K, if you can find one. To use it, you have to go into settings on the camera and optimize it for the camera otherwise the sensor delivers a soft focus. The lens comes with said instructions. BUT once optimized, the sensors in theory can handle f1.0 in daylight and deliver amazing sharpness. I've never seen the current one.

I need to be some person's fifty-something mantoy and I will do that for high priced lenses and TVRs. Soul? Who needs that? :naughty:
Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I will stick to my F1.8 and maybe one day ill try out the F1.2L, but its really the 16mm F2.8L that I want