Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 03:14 AM
CSS Veteran

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road
Default Four door Mustang?

I'm too lazy to see if there's a thread about this already (sorry).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fo...our-door-sedan

I think a 4-door Mustang w/ a turbo V6 AS A LINCOLN would be just lovely, although I have no doubt Ford will find a way to screw this up.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

The furniture sales guy leading Ford thinks that a 4 door Mustang is appropriate...wow. Just, wow. Way to not know your market.

Ford can't dump this guy fast enough. Besides buying the train station in downtown Detroit and canceling sedans - what is this guy's legacy going to be???

You CAN NOT have a company run by shareholders. They are only concerned about money. You HAVE to run a company with the consumer 100% the focus. The furniture sales guy is a glorified shareholder.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

A 4-door Mustang could really work. Ford has looked at the idea several times. I'd love to see a LWB 2 door Mustang shooting brake because I think that would sell very well too. A 4 door Mustang would allow them to go against the Charger which sells significantly and would give them and great police cruiser.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:23 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road

It would work, but ought to be a Lincoln.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
A 4-door Mustang could really work. Ford has looked at the idea several times. I'd love to see a LWB 2 door Mustang shooting brake because I think that would sell very well too. A 4 door Mustang would allow them to go against the Charger which sells significantly and would give them and great police cruiser.
I have to disagree w/ you here. I think them producing something that is spiritually a Mustang - but branded something different (similar to what you said, Charger vs. Challenger) could work....but you can't marginalize the heritage of Mustang by coming out with a 4 door...which would inevitably lead to a CUV (which sounds like it's already happening).
Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 PM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Why not just produce a four door Mustang and call it a Ford Falcon? The Aussie version was pretty much that - a four door sedan with V8 engines that would peak at around 450bhp. The formula worked well in Australia, and I'd be surprised if it didn't in the states.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

That could certainly work.

Just so long as they don't call it Mustang. Hell, call it Stallion or Holsteiner (a potential nod to the 'merging of equals rumor of Ford and VW). Just not Mustang.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:10 AM

62Lincoln is on a distinguished road

There's nothing wrong with the idea of a 4 door Mustang if done correctly. The devil would be in the details. Ask Porsche about CUV's and then the Panamera. All the purists were howling from rooftops about both products, yet both remained true to Porsche principles, and Porsche is a much stronger company today because of those products, particularly the CUV's.

Ford's problem would be its ability (or inability) to define for itself what makes a Mustang a Mustang, and then translate that into the 4 door car. I'm not convinced that Ford have the mojo to do it.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

63Bonneville is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I've seen this recent report, too, although it did not yet get featured on many of the top and familiar automotive-news sites. Yes, I would welcome something like this, and it should compete with many 4-door coupe and fastback entries. I also wouldn't mind seeing a Lincoln variant, which could even recoup development costs, although I see the top Mustang version with the twin-turbo V8, and the Lincoln with one of the twin-turbo V6s. I also believe that it would be the next-generation Mustang, which is said to be based on the new platform that's to be used for the new-generation, RWD Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. This would add to a growing Mustang family, as a hybrid was teased, and reported to be a V8 mated to an electric motor.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Naga Royal Guard is on a distinguished road

This is Ford's Chrysler 300C moment from 2004. Its brilliant, will buck the green trend and will be an instant hit. Its not like Ford has many a sedan to cannibalize against these days anyway. This sedan will look like sex and immediately KO the Stinger GT and Charger. Quite clever considering Ford's recent direction to cancel all cars other than the Mustang.

In other words, "hai Ford what took ya so long!"

I wonder if it will be devoid of Blue Ovals like the present mustang ?