Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 AM
CSS Veteran

It reminds me a lot of the Audi A3 Sportback of the years you were mentioning (the 8PA variant).
Really curious how this will look in the flesh, while the uncovered pics of the white one look really cheap, these pics never show models in their best light, so I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, don't expect it to wow us though lol.
Regarding the Seat Leon, I don't think this will become a sister model, even the concept is narrower than the current Leon, and concept cars usually have wider fenders. It is also the most important model for Seat, I don't think they will cheap out on this one.
I could see this sharing the underpinnings and sheet metal with the next Toledo though, even if it is said that this won't get a sedan version, I don't think this will be completely true, I still expect both Seat (for southern Europe and America) and Skoda (for eastern Europe and India) sedans, maybe under a different name than the hatchback in Skoda's case.

Last edited by disap.ed; 09-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I hope the rumors that this will also spawn the next Seat Leon are not true, given the yawn potential this has.
Rapid is said to be based on MQB A0, so it's rather something closer to elongated Ibiza.
Golf sized, but on a slightly cheaper platform with less equipment options. Not really needed in the line-up, but the sales numbers probably justify its existence.

Leon is the most important car for Seat and I really don't think they'd be so stupid to base it on more budget oriented offering. I'm almost certain it will stay on normal MQB as it is right now.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
Leon is the most important car for Seat and I really don't think they'd be so stupid to base it on more budget oriented offering. I'm almost certain it will stay on normal MQB as it is right now.
Well, I first came across the rumor on German Auto Motor & Sport page, in connection with the concept car (it looks so sporty because it will be the Seat Leon as well); The recent unification of Seat and Skoda front ends (compare this to the Tarracco) naturally gives some fruit to this, as did the downsizing of the Toledo before;

Let's hope it still is not true, yes, the Leon is the most important model for Seat, but also a tough internal competition for the Golf (and already Skoda is not allowed to compete head on), and actually all Leon drivers I know were looking at a Golf or A3 before, and ended up with the technically identical - and arguably better looking - Leon yet saved some money; VW might find that not so great on their pocket, and move it slightly downmarket, already the Ibiza was given the "cheap"treatment here and there (esp. inside) so it would have more of a distance to the Polo, including the lack of a hot hatch, despite the Ibiza Cupra being loved before.

I really wish Seat in general had more freedom, or at least the same kind of "allowance" to live next to VW as Skoda has, somehow they seem to be the least love child in the huge conglomerate, with an undecided concept between "Southern European passion" for a few years, and "the cheap entry level VAG brand"
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 PM

^^
Yes it's true that VAG has a history of some stupid decisions regarding Seat brand.

Still I don't think they would mess with a successful Leon formula. It's the cheapest out of Golf and A3 trio, still VAG sells 3 times more Golfs than Leons in Europe, and even A3 numbers are around 15% higher - so it's not such a big threat. While obviously there might be some cross shopping between the three of them, someone who really wants a Leon would rather not buy a Golf simply due to its styling. And A3 is just too expensive when specs are identical, especially when talking about loaded versions. Where I live the majority of Leons are nicely equipped FR versions, and it's probably easier to spot Cupra than a base version.
If they decide to cheapen the Leon, customers will most likely go elsewhere(outside of VAG).

With the current Cupra brand push it's hard to imagine VAG wouldn't want to have a proper nice Leon as a base for it. Cupra Ibiza concept has been already shown, so they'll probably introduce it to the market sooner or later. Having two MQB A0 Cupra models (Ibiza and Rapid based Leon) wouldn't make much sense, dropping the most successful Cupra model ever wouldn't be smart either.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
Having two MQB A0 Cupra models (Ibiza and Rapid based Leon) wouldn't make much sense, dropping the most successful Cupra model ever wouldn't be smart either.
Well, it would be the same situation as with SKoda, where the current Rapid and Fabia share their platform, and the next Fabia will move to MQB A0 as well. Or Nissan with Micra and the forgettable Pulsar being based of the Renault Nissan small car platform. It works, if you position a C-segment car as a budget option.

But yes, it would not be overly clever, at least form an enthusiast point of view.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 AM
CSS Veteran

This is becoming a bit offtopic (this thread is about the Skoda Rapid after all) but cheaping out on the Seat Leon goes against what Herbert Diess said about the positioning of Seat lately, he wants them to achieve higher prices and go against Alfa Romeo. Basing the Leon on a smaller platform and robbing its unique design won't help to achieve this.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
This is becoming a bit offtopic (this thread is about the Skoda Rapid after all) but cheaping out on the Seat Leon goes against what Herbert Diess said about the positioning of Seat lately, he wants them to achieve higher prices and go against Alfa Romeo. Basing the Leon on a smaller platform and robbing its unique design won't help to achieve this.
Yes, it wouldn't make sense, but so then the Mii, the cheapened out Ibiza and neither the Ateca as the Karoq's cheaper - and less nice - brother nor the upcoming Tarraco as a rebadged chepaer Tiguan make a lot of sense, and even less odes the outsourcing of the bets models to an additional brand no one asked for (Cupra). I remember when around 200 Piech announced Seat would go after Alfa Romeo (and back then the Toldeo and Leon were really promising, good looking, interesting engine options, high quality interior shared with the contemporary A3), and the first new models after that were the booted Ibiza (Cordoba), the Altea MPV and turning the good looking - Giurgiaro designed - Toledo into a booted MPV for it's 3rd generation, and thus creating one of the ugliest cars ever.

So the "Seat going after Alfa" topic is not that serious in my eyes, and , tbh., isn't were they should be. A fun, good looking yet affordable brand (kind of what FIats were some time ago), basically what they were around 2000, is a nice position. They shouldn't be below Skoda, nor above VW (if they have real premium ambitions), but something entirely different...

As a last off topic thing - after the great announcement of the separate Cupra brand, it kind of has become very quite again around that topic. Has that gone anywhere on sale, is there anything happening, or is it quietly killed of again before birth?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Yes, it wouldn't make sense, but so then the Mii, the cheapened out Ibiza and neither the Ateca as the Karoq's cheaper - and less nice - brother nor the upcoming Tarraco as a rebadged chepaer Tiguan make a lot of sense, and even less odes the outsourcing of the bets models to an additional brand no one asked for (Cupra). I remember when around 200 Piech announced Seat would go after Alfa Romeo (and back then the Toldeo and Leon were really promising, good looking, interesting engine options, high quality interior shared with the contemporary A3), and the first new models after that were the booted Ibiza (Cordoba), the Altea MPV and turning the good looking - Giurgiaro designed - Toledo into a booted MPV for it's 3rd generation, and thus creating one of the ugliest cars ever.

So the "Seat going after Alfa" topic is not that serious in my eyes, and , tbh., isn't were they should be. A fun, good looking yet affordable brand (kind of what FIats were some time ago), basically what they were around 2000, is a nice position. They shouldn't be below Skoda, nor above VW (if they have real premium ambitions), but something entirely different...

As a last off topic thing - after the great announcement of the separate Cupra brand, it kind of has become very quite again around that topic. Has that gone anywhere on sale, is there anything happening, or is it quietly killed of again before birth?
I agree with everything you said, Seat really lost 10 years because of their flawed decisions made in the 2000s.

I don't get why every brand has to go upmarket either, especially as the group - despite its size - has no brand left below Seat for affordable cars, as Skoda is also moving upmarket more and more.

I also sincerely hope that "Cupra" as a brand of its own dies as fast as it has been born. I just don't get it.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
...I also sincerely hope that "Cupra" as a brand of its own dies as fast as it has been born. I just don't get it.
It's like VWAG is trying to compete with the patently silly DS brand. VWAG has a tremendous overlap problem like GM had with Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, and Oldsmobile back in the day.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:47 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:

what exactly is Alfa Romeo these days? Audi competitor?

As to the Rapid... looks like Rapid Spaceback... kind of weirdly elongated but all right for the price.
It is a fleet vehicle, not bad either.