Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

That does look nicer. Not a bad looking little car for its price even though i still miss the quirkiness of the original Ka and even second gen. Still hoping Ford Europe will also release a non '+' version to compete again with the Fiat 500 and VW Up!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Still hoping Ford Europe will also release a non '+' version to compete again with the Fiat 500 and VW Up!
Actually in most markets it's already priced below those 2, so I doubt they will make an even smaller car (especially given that anything that size would be Europe only mostly, unless they decide to build it Kei compatible).

That said, I agree about the quirkiness of the original Ka (though I miss it even more in the Twingo), but I guess we are generally in a stylistically "play safe" time, so the Active version is the quirkiest we will see on a small Ford (heaven forbid someone considers an EcoSport convertible)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Actually in most markets it's already priced below those 2, so I doubt they will make an even smaller car (especially given that anything that size would be Europe only mostly, unless they decide to build it Kei compatible).
I didn't mean smaller, just more premium. Same way the Ka plus and Fiesta co-exist in the Euro line-up. The Ka Plus is pitched at the bottom of the price range but i think a quirkier, sportier looking Ka can still slot somewhere.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
I didn't mean smaller, just more premium. Same way the Ka plus and Fiesta co-exist in the Euro line-up. The Ka Plus is pitched at the bottom of the price range but i think a quirkier, sportier looking Ka can still slot somewhere.
Ah okay; Well, more premium is always a tough call in this segment, as just adding chrome and soft plastics won't do the trick alone in small cars (heaven forbid a Ka+ Vignale); The base design is boring, but so are the vast majority of new cars, it seems to be the "fashion" nowadays, just fit in and add 2 more edges somewhere, just avoid looking different or new; And generally, given the Fiesta has also become more conservative, I doubt there is so much room for a model in between, unfortunately
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Ah okay; Well, more premium is always a tough call in this segment, as just adding chrome and soft plastics won't do the trick alone in small cars (heaven forbid a Ka+ Vignale); The base design is boring, but so are the vast majority of new cars, it seems to be the "fashion" nowadays, just fit in and add 2 more edges somewhere, just avoid looking different or new; And generally, given the Fiesta has also become more conservative, I doubt there is so much room for a model in between, unfortunately
You are probably right. At least in Europe you guys get a LOT more variety from Ford. Here in Australia with the demise of the Falcon family as well as now the Mondeo and no news if the Focus/Fiesta will be sold again here it's pretty lame. And even before we only got the hatch and sedan version of the Focus. I'd love to see the new Fiesta range in person and the new Focus would have been on my top 3 list of cars to potentially buy in the near future. None of the 'MAX' models are sold here either and not sure what the deal is with the Ka Plus and if it will be sold locally. Soon Ford Australia's entire range looks likely to only include SUVs, pick up trucks and the Mustang

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 AM

For me, Ford is making a big mistake reintroducing the tdci engine on ka. The gold era for diesel engines is over, under the euro6 laws and the fap. As Focus owner I'm struggling in this period of urban moving: lot of cycles (interrupted) and lot of fuel contamination on the engine oil. I cannot imagine what they're gonna find during the next servicing.
I think Ford needs to improve the ecoboost engine lines, maybe with a 1200cc one to put in C segment cars, under metan fuel or petrol-hybrid. It's hard to see a Focus (worse a Fusion/Mondeo) equipped with the small 1.0, powered to 140hp! ... It's too much. If a bigger size were available (actually I don't mean the 1500cc), I'd definitely avoided buy a diesel car.

Last edited by Revolt; 02-08-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt View Post
For me, Ford is making a big mistake reintroducing the tdci engine on ka. The gold era for diesel engines is over, under the euro6 laws and the fap. As Focus owner I'm struggling in this period of urban moving: lot of cycles (interrupted) and lot of fuel contamination on the engine oil. I cannot imagine what they're gonna find during the next servicing.
I think Ford needs to improve the ecoboost engine lines, maybe with a 1200cc one to put in C segment cars, under metan fuel or petrol-hybrid. It's hard to see a Focus (worse a Fusion/Mondeo) equipped with the small 1.0, powered to 140hp! ... It's too much. If a bigger size were available (actually I don't mean the 1500cc), I'd definitely avoided buy a diesel car.
The 1200cc engines in the Ka+ are brand new, 3 cylinders instead of the older 4 cylinders (that could trace their origins back to the mid 90ies Fiesta); Whilst I agree about the Mondeo, I had a Focus 1.0 for 3,5 years, and despite my initial reservations, it worked very well most of the time, and even gave something like "driving pleasure", sth. you surely don't find in smaller Diesel engines; Consumption was surprisingly Diesel like as well, just fully loaded pulling away on an incline was where you'd either feel the size of the engine before the turbo kicks in, or you'd slightly slip the clutch, but you have similar effects on smaller (sub 2.0) Diesel cars, where low end torque really just comes from displacement or hybrid trickery and probably some future electric turbos that spool form idle....

But the Diesel in the Ka+ seems really a weird decision, that segment has been mostly petrol only even before the numerous Wolfsburg scandals, and from this summer on, it will require EU6d (the one that even kills the M3 Bimmer for now, and that's a petrol), which is basically impossible without a specific NOx catalytic converter and an AdBlue system, which would make the Ka ridiculously expensive. The 1.0 EcoBoost with even 100, let alone the larger 125 or 140hp tunes, would be a so much wiser move and really turn it into a pocket rocket (and eat into Fiesta sales likely...)