Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I really like it. Not a massive advance over the old model, granted, but a bit more distinctive, and Mazda needs that right now.

The specs are impressive - 3,100lb for the 2.5; it should slightly edge out the Altima for lightest in the class (in the US) then. Also interesting to note that its length (191.5in) and wheelbase (111.4in) are closer to the current US-spec 6 than the EU-spec.

Looks-wise, I still prefer the Fusion/Mondeo, but that says more about how good a job Ford did than any lack of accomplishment on Mazda's part.

Last edited by SV; 08-29-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Blue crazy moderator

I still love it! Certainly needs large wheels, though, to look its best...

The interior? A shame it's almost a direct swap from the CX-5, but only on the premise of unique design - it's a quality interior from my personal experience.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 AM

I think it looks fantastic and that interior is really well done. I can imagine that some will complain about it being rather bland but it's just retrained...kinda looks like an Audi interior crossed with one of the new Lexus interiors. Can't complain about that.

The only thing I fear for this car is that it will look dead-goofy with the base wheels like the CX-5. The CX-5's base wheels are far too small and makes the car look like it's tripping over itself.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Personally I think this looks really good.It looks sleek, restrained in a good way, avoiding the over designed and/or fat look of too many recent cars. Classy detailing thrown in, this should look good even after 10 years or so (just take a 2002 Mazda 6 and put it up against a contemporary Hyundai or Toyota).

The interior looks fine as well, I agree the sat nav looks a bit aftermarket, but at least being a classic double DIN unit, you can replace it after a few years, when new technology emerges. Also knowing from the CX5, materials should be well chosen and give a rather classy feeling in combination with the rather classic interior theme, unlike some (on photos dramatic looking) space ship interiors, which can feel rather cheap in real life (some cheaper Focus variations come to my mind)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 AM

looks great, very atletic and light looking
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Personally I think this looks really good.It looks sleek, restrained in a good way, avoiding the over designed and/or fat look of too many recent cars. Classy detailing thrown in, this should look good even after 10 years or so (just take a 2002 Mazda 6 and put it up against a contemporary Hyundai or Toyota).
I agree with you 100%. I know a lot of people think this design is bland, especially compared to the concept version. However, by keeping the design a little more restrained, Mazda allows the car to age more gracefully. Take the current Jag XF, for example. When it debuted just a couple of years ago, I thought it was stunning. By late-2011, a lot of people - myself included - were already sick of it:

The overall design of the Mazda6 pictured below is over 10 years old but it looks good even to this day.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Poor Mazda. If only they had been able to keep the lines of the concept completely intact. As is, this is not a stand out design, and will do little to advance Mazda's sales in the sales race in this segment. Another 'also ran' for Mazda, unfortunately.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm not getting the negative here. I think the design looks fantastic; light years above Cam-cord-tima. On par w/ Hyundai. I actually like it more then the Hyundai (I've never been a fan of that design - however love the Optima and the Elantra)...so clearly just a personal thing.

Also - the interior is elegant. I think the colour trim is a nice touch.

Finally, the rear end is sweet. I see a PILE of last gen RX7 in it.

This deserves to be a hit for Mazda - it truly does. My (personal) ranking of the mid-sized market:
Fusion
Mazda 6 / Optima (tie)
Accord (yes, above the Hyundai - it's MY list )
Sonata
Passat
Malibu
Altima
Camry

Last edited by Crash; 08-30-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Raconteur

This is such a YAWN it's crazy
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
This is such a YAWN it's crazy
I tend to agree with you regarding the wagon, but I think Mazda have done enough with the sedan to give it the thumbs up. Like Crash has alluded, it's one of the best looking, if not best looking in its class.