currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2006, 05:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

AM2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Graffititech)

Quote, originally posted by JBlair »

Its not a rebadge.

Its not exactly just a rebadge since they replaced more than just the badge/grill(they restyled the nose, tail and dashboard), but the MKZ, Fusion and Milan obviously share more than just their platforms, they share the same exact body...
I think what many people are saying is Ford should further differentiate the Lincoln MKZ from the lower-end Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. I guess some people feel that a little cosmetic changes and giving it some exclusive options is not enough.
By the way, will AWD and the new 3.5 liter V6 be available in the Fusion and the Milan?

Modified by AM2 at 10:02 PM 4/25/2006

Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 AM

fatfaso is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see Lincoln succeed. It just seems like the keep making all the wrong moves. They tried to have distinctive styling (like Chrysler has done w/ the 300), yet the styling is ulitmately unappealing. They tried to drop in a proper engine, yet the car is FWD. I agree with the guy who said Lincoln is suffering from an identity image... it has no idea what it wants to be. Is it sports, luxurious, a near-luxury brand? And I know this is supposed to be for MKZ posts, but has anybody seen the new Navigator? Good lord, Lincoln is going to get its clock cleaned by Cadillac. Lincoln should get to work on its next MKZ and make it RWD with an AWD option, drop in the mustang's V8 and hire some guy to style the car properly.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (fatfaso)

Quote, originally posted by fatfaso »
Lincoln should get to work on its next MKZ and make it RWD with an AWD option, drop in the mustang's V8 and hire some guy to style the car properly.

A RWD MKZ? Maybe they should have just restyled the Lincoln LS and put the 3.5 liter V6 as its base engine.
The MSRP of the 2005 Lincoln LS with a 3-liter V6 was $32,640...
Old 04-25-2006, 12:20 PM

GoLeafsGO is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (AM2)

Quote, originally posted by AM2 »

By the way, will AWD and the new 3.5 liter V6 be available in the Fusion and the Milan?

To quote my favorite magic 8 ball, "all signs point to no."

Several Ford employees have told me, since the launch of the Fusion and as recently as last week, that there will not be a 3.5 liter V6 in the Fusion and Milan. AWD is still unclear; it is possible.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

JBlair is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (GoLeafsGO)

Quote, originally posted by GoLeafsGO »
To quote my favorite magic 8 ball, "all signs point to no."

Several Ford employees have told me, since the launch of the Fusion and as recently as last week, that there will not be a 3.5 liter V6 in the Fusion and Milan. AWD is still unclear; it is possible.

You sure about that? Ford has been hinting that the Fusion will get it in some capacity since they first announced the engine existed.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (JBlair)

I remember when Ford released the very first version of the Fusion configurator on its site, there was a section to select options that you'd like to see on the Fusion; AWD and the 3.5L were both on there... so obviously they're considering it, anyway...

Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 PM

GoLeafsGO is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (JBlair)

Quote, originally posted by JBlair »

You sure about that? Ford has been hinting that the Fusion will get it in some capacity since they first announced the engine existed.

I'm only able to repeat what I've been told, which is repeatedly that the 3.5 liter is not going into the Milan or Fusion. This came from a Fusion engineering team member at a Ford event. Also, Ford reps at the NY Auto show (usually not even company employees, just people they hire to do the auto show circuit) were adamant that the 3.5 L was not going into the Fusion or Milan.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:08 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm only able to repeat what I've been told, which is repeatedly that the 3.5 liter is not going into the Milan or Fusion. This came from a Fusion engineering team member at a Ford event. Also, Ford reps at the NY Auto show (usually not even company employees, just people they hire to do the auto show circuit) were adamant that the 3.5 L was not going into the Fusion or Milan.

If AWD and/or the 3.5 liter V6 becomes available in the Milan and Fusion the MKZ will be reduced to something more like a trim level of the Fusion than a separate entry-level luxury car.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Bass-o-Matic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (AM2)

Both AWD and the 3.5L are going to be propagated throughout the line-up. The 3.5L will quickly be an absolute requirement for this segment, as the dearth of competitors with 250+ (hell, 260+) hp models is now at a critical mass. Ford can simply not afford to have the Fusion remain a 3.0L/221hp "top rung" model in order to protect MKZ.

And, they've been quite open with their goals of applying AWD all through their line-up, with a goal of 50% penetration by 2012.

All this serves to explain the danger in using a mainstream model as basis for a premium model; If that mainstream model plays in a particularly aggressive segment, it can very easily over-run it's supposedly "superior" brethren.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

JBlair is on a distinguished road

Sorry man, I just don't buy it.