Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2016, 05:56 PM
CSS Veteran

Default 2019 Hyundai Veloster

Not much to see, but I think it's cool Hyundai is giving the funky Veloster a second generation:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ster-spy-shots
Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Raconteur

Essentially they need to make the styling less polarizing and more captivating. They need to ditch the goofy 1/2 door nonsense and make it as a 3 or 5 door hatchback aimed squarely at the GTI/Mini Cooper S/Fiesta FocusST crowd.

They can let the Elantra hatchback be their "Focus" and the Veloster be their "Scirocco" of sorts.

On a side note, the current Scirocco has ZERO Scirocconess (sic) to it, but should be marketed instead as a GTI to separate the GTI from the pedestrian Golf.

A GTI can easily cost $10K more than a Golf, so why should the GTI share the look of the base Golf?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:38 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Essentially they need to make the styling less polarizing and more captivating.
Agreed. The Veloster is one of Hyundai's least convincing design efforts.

I don't see VW messing with the highly successful GTI formula any time soon.

Last edited by ocn75; 07-07-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Essentially they need to make the styling less polarizing and more captivating. They need to ditch the goofy 1/2 door nonsense and make it as a 3 or 5 door hatchback aimed squarely at the GTI/Mini Cooper S/Fiesta FocusST crowd.

They can let the Elantra hatchback be their "Focus" and the Veloster be their "Scirocco" of sorts.

On a side note, the current Scirocco has ZERO Scirocconess (sic) to it, but should be marketed instead as a GTI to separate the GTI from the pedestrian Golf.

A GTI can easily cost $10K more than a Golf, so why should the GTI share the look of the base Golf?
3 Door hatches are dead, they are niche products. No more Clio, Megane with 3 doors, next Golf and A3 will only be available as 5 door, no Scirocco successor due to VW downsizing, no more 3 door 1 Series successor, only 5 door. No more 3 door Ford Ka, etc.....
Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
3 Door hatches are dead, they are niche products. No more Clio, Megane with 3 doors, next Golf and A3 will only be available as 5 door, no Scirocco successor due to VW downsizing, no more 3 door 1 Series successor, only 5 door. No more 3 door Ford Ka, etc.....
Agreed, very few 3 door hatchbacks available new anymore, mostly Superminis or below, and no new car seems to arrive in 3 door fashion anymore. Making the Veloster anything els than a proper coupe shape can only result in failure IMO (unless tehy pull some Cross Coupe thingy, but the prototype clearly shows no raised ride height or stuff)....
Old 07-08-2016, 01:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I don't mind the 2.5 doors of the Veloster. And I think they should keep it. A friend has one - and they're surprisingly practical. LOTS of room b/c of the hatch, and the .5 door is nice to help people get in and out of. As is par of the Hyundai course - the car can be optioned out and not break the bank - while delivering decent fuel economy and ok performance - in a car that is unique/funky looking. There is a market for a car like this; and at 25K-35K sold per year that point is proved - and not bad for a brand new concept / brand new name (it sold more than Beetle many years of recent).

This said - the styling was polarizing (I happen to like it); tone that down / make it a bit more aggressive without the weird look. Position it more as a tuner (those becoming disenfranchised by Honda Civic), improve the handling / ride - and sales will easily increase by 1/3.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Raconteur

Figuring out how to make it their Mini Cooper S is the trick.

It has a great name and the right footprint. If anything I'd either ditch the half door or put one on each side.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I don't mind the 2.5 doors of the Veloster. And I think they should keep it. A friend has one - and they're surprisingly practical. LOTS of room b/c of the hatch, and the .5 door is nice to help people get in and out of.
...so why not have four fully functioning doors? Would that make it more practical?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Because Americans don't like hatch backs. This avoids that...and it's as practical as it needs to be for what it is.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Because Americans don't like hatch backs. This avoids that...and it's as practical as it needs to be for what it is.
whether it's got three doors or four, it's still a hatch.