Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 PM

Were all the talented Hyundai designers too busy working on the Genesis line??? I hope it's less, uh, provocative in real life, but those headlights are gawd awful. It's like the ripped off the Jeep Cherokee and then thought, "How do we distract from the design theft? I know; I'll make them the ugliest things you've ever seen!"
Old 06-12-2017, 10:37 PM

I wonder if it will look any different when viewed at anything other than 'door mirror' height.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Generally I like it when small cars look a bit fun, daring and quirky and not just a shrunken midsized car (also, that process can result in rather ugly proportions then and now).

Here, the general shape is actually quite ok, though a bit close to the cross version of the i20 (and surely there will be one of the i30 as well), I would have made the car 25% more SUV and less hatchback, if only because there is suite a lot going on at Hyundai Kia already in terms of smaller CUV/SUV/raised hatchbacks. But still, the shape is good.

Now about the quirky part: If we isolate every detail, it's not even bad, but somehow it seems that they were inspired by 2 - 3 competing cars, and decided to combine all elements without leaving any out. There is simply too much going on for my taste. I mean just count the number of lights up front, or even at the back. Or the amount and shape of unpainted plastic (including one of the least convincing floating roof/d-pillar solutions)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

here... when you "render invisible" most of the "quirky wannabe" design details and subtly emphasize the right ones, that supplement its rather nice silhouette, it becomes quit nice.... Kona Iron Man Edition:

source and more pictures:
https://www.motor1.com/news/148263/h...n-man-edition/

"disappearance" of excessive chrome and plastic cladding around the light groups (as well as "invisible" door handles) suit it like a slap to a fool! and all other "french styling features" suddenly seem nice :)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I like the color combo, but there is more concept car stuff going on (like the wheels), that you can#t have on a production car...
Old 06-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Raconteur

It's a great design for people who think "beautiful" is synonymous with cluttered busy styling. That version of it is nearly tolerable, but it's still far from attractive.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 PM
CSS Veteran

Styling aside, Hyundai says that the EV version of the Kona--which is scheduled to launch in the spring alongside the rest of the line-up--will have a 242 mile range, which would be very impressive.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 PM
CSS Veteran

The body-color roof also helps styling:

Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 PM

To me it seems that Hyundai did exactly what it set out to do, which is to create a car that will appeal to most people without being too provocative or outside-the-mould. Most people polled on CarSalesBase (http://carsalesbase.com/hyundai-kona-w-poll/) seem to agree - the design is good, if not great
Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM
CSS Veteran

Interesting notes--the stacked headlight design is going to make its way across the Hyundai SUV line-up, but the plastic "body armor" will not. Also, Hyundai doesn't want its forthcoming five(!) model SUV line-up to be one sausage, five lengths.

Interior design will also move across future Hyundai models--no surprise, considering the i30/Elantra GT.

I'm still not sold on how it looks, but the first drives have been very, very positive--it may be ugly, but it's also probably the best vehicle in the segment if you need AWD.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fi...-hyundai-kona/