CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Ascariss's Avatar
Ascariss Ascariss is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Posts: 5,397
Default

more photos



http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/201...n-back-as.html

Glasshouse feels like a volvo V40, but probably will have a similar idea/design like the BMW x2 concept.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Glasshouse feels like a volvo V40, but probably will have a similar idea/design like the BMW x2 concept.
moving to FWD and the resulting change in proportions will inevitably mean that it will look less distinctive than the first 2 generations. But I expect that the glass house will look very BMW nevertheless. An interesting feature regarding the camo is however that it does look a bit like it would go for a 3rd side window, But I think that is fake.

Last edited by mick78; 05-04-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 AM
CosworthKid's Avatar
CosworthKid CosworthKid is offline
CSS Ford Psychopath
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
moving to FWD and the resulting change in proportions will inevitably mean that it will look less distinctive than the first 3 generations. .
Agreed. And it will also lose the one element which made it stand out (RWD) and atrract certain type of buyers. To be fair here in Sydney and in other parts the 1-Series hatch is a rare sight compared to the Audi A3 (hatch & sedan) and the new A-Class.
__________________

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2017, 02:07 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Agreed. And it will also lose the one element which made it stand out (RWD) and atrract certain type of buyers. To be fair here in Sydney and in other parts the 1-Series hatch is a rare sight compared to the Audi A3 (hatch & sedan) and the new A-Class.
from a technical standpoint, if you can have FWD based AWD cars, and even rear biased power delivery, why can't you just have a RWD car with FWD engine/transmission layout? Would be a drifting dream car
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2017, 02:44 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
from a technical standpoint, if you can have FWD based AWD cars, and even rear biased power delivery, why can't you just have a RWD car with FWD engine/transmission layout? Would be a drifting dream car
Technically, a traverse engine/RWD layout is ofcourse possible, but makes little sense, as the movement of the engine has to turn 90 degrees twice before rreaching teh wheels, so making it more complicated, and also loosing more power in teh drive train. Additional wieght and more sapce needed for additional compnents compared to FWD remains. Only up front the gear biox eats less into the footwell, but then again more weight up front than classic RWD, which pushes teh engine way back.

However, if you want FWD engine layout, (in extrme cases) nearly all power at the rear end and drifting, there is the Focus RS for you.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2017, 03:55 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
However, if you want FWD engine layout, (in extrme cases) nearly all power at the rear end and drifting, there is the Focus RS for you.
That's kind of my point, if you can have RWD bias (plus added weight in the back of the car to offset) then you won't really lose the BMW faithful buyers, especially since there isn't much of an alternative. Adding a "M1" flagship with a near if not completely 100% RWD bias as the top of the range would certainly help. I also find FWD proportions to be much less offensive, or even noticeable, in smaller cars whereas RWD small cars typically have awkwardly and disproportionately long hoods (last gen X1 for example).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 23,612
Default

The problem with RWD in a hatchback this small is packaging. Yes, RWD may handle better, but the GTI shows that FWD is capable of pretty darned competent handling. A BMW GTI would be a brilliant move as an entry-level car to the brand.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 AM
CosworthKid's Avatar
CosworthKid CosworthKid is offline
CSS Ford Psychopath
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Technically, a traverse engine/RWD layout is ofcourse possible, but makes little sense, as the movement of the engine has to turn 90 degrees twice before rreaching teh wheels, so making it more complicated, and also loosing more power in teh drive train. Additional wieght and more sapce needed for additional compnents compared to FWD remains. Only up front the gear biox eats less into the footwell, but then again more weight up front than classic RWD, which pushes teh engine way back.
Plus the FWD layout means more space for back seat drivers and potentially luggage...
__________________

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:28 AM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 23,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Plus the FWD layout means more space for back seat drivers and potentially luggage...
I'm glad you agree with me.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Plus the FWD layout means more space for back seat drivers and potentially luggage...
Of course, i just was pointing out why a RWD car with a traverse FWD drivetrain would offer very few advantages. Naturally normal FWD offers better use of space, even though ultimately design can still make the cars incredibly cramped (Mercedes A/CLA, offering no more space anywhere than a RWD 1 series, actually less...)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:10 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy