Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Looks like we have the new XTS interior revealed by way of Cadillac unveiling it's new "CUE" system...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/c...ted-driving-e/

I really like it though I really hope the fact that the whole button panel below the screen can flip up doesn't mean that the panel will creak or flex in any way. I don't think that storage solution is really appropriate here in a luxury car that is less about fun and more about solidity and power. Maybe they should have left that on the Orlando...

Overall though I think this fits its market segment wonderfully. It's not going to scare away the old guard but the new guard will look at it as very progressive in a subdued way. Clever job Cadillac.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Can't say i am loving the interior. It looks nice and classy but unoriginal IMO. For a brand such as Cadillac i was hoping for a more stand-out, out of the box interior as their exteriors would suggest. They just look so modern from the outside and quite conservative in the inside

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Blue crazy moderator

Wow! What original thinking GM! :)

(*cough* MyLincoln Touch *cough*) Oh, right. Scrap that...

Next!
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBsam View Post
Overall though I think this fits its market segment wonderfully. It's not going to scare away the old guard but the new guard will look at it as very progressive in a subdued way. Clever job Cadillac.
Exactly, that's what I find remarkable about this interior: it's modern and clearly tech-laden, but is extremely approachable (and thus appropriate for older buyers) in that everything seems very simple and unintimidating (in contrast to, say, many modern Mercedes and BMWs). I'm sure some people may take that simplicity to connote cheapness, but I for one think it's very well done. I expect the ATS to be a little more daring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Can't say i am loving the interior. It looks nice and classy but unoriginal IMO. For a brand such as Cadillac i was hoping for a more stand-out, out of the box interior as their exteriors would suggest. They just look so modern from the outside and quite conservative in the inside
You have to remember, though, that the XTS is essentially the replacement for the two models--DTS and STS--which were popular with older buyers. And even though Cadillac wants this car to appeal to a much broader spectrum, those buyers will clearly gravitate towards Cadillac's larger, smoother, more comfortable model. Those buyers might be put off by too edgy an interior; they expect comfort and simplicity and I think in that respect this interior delivers. As I said, I think the ATS will have a little more flair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW View Post
Wow! What original thinking GM! :)

(*cough* MyLincoln Touch *cough*) Oh, right. Scrap that...

Next!
Right, since Ford was the first to come up with a comprehensive touch-screen multimedia interface, they should have a complete monopoly on the concept...

You may recall that Ford's MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch system has been derided as clumsy and unintuitive...perhaps we should wait to see what GM's system can do before summarily dismissing it as a copycat.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBsam View Post
Looks like we have the new XTS interior revealed by way of Cadillac unveiling it's new "CUE" system...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/c...ted-driving-e/

I really like it though I really hope the fact that the whole button panel below the screen can flip up doesn't mean that the panel will creak or flex in any way. I don't think that storage solution is really appropriate here in a luxury car that is less about fun and more about solidity and power. Maybe they should have left that on the Orlando...

I like it. Clean, elegant, approachable. I hate to say it - but this is another GM product that I like?!? I feel dirty now...must go shower.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Blue crazy moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Right, since Ford was the first to come up with a comprehensive touch-screen multimedia interface, they should have a complete monopoly on the concept...

You may recall that Ford's MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch system has been derided as clumsy and unintuitive...perhaps we should wait to see what GM's system can do before summarily dismissing it as a copycat.
a) Nowhere did I say that Ford developed this type of infotainment. But the media are all over Cue like GM's developed something radically unique and above all else, which it's only the next step over what everyone else already has (had, some for years) and will only play second fiddle in the near future anyway. It's about time GM spent some money on their interiors!

And b) actual owners of Fords / Lincolns with MFT / MLT are saying the opposite to reviews - they love it! Know why? They live with it and learn how to use/adapt to it and it to them and therefore get the most out of it for their needs - kind of like that shoddy bathroom door handle you learn to use (not the best example for this point, but you know what I mean.) Also, all the reviews I have read seem to be written like the reviewer has only spent 5 minutes with the system, not going into detail and whinging about taking eyes off the road to do stuff that you can actually do via Sync or the steering wheel buttons...

Last edited by fou_bleu; 10-12-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW View Post
a) Nowhere did I say that Ford developed this type of infotainment. But the media are all over Cue like GM's developed something radically unique and above all else, which it's only the next step over what everyone else already has (had, some for years) and will only play second fiddle in the near future anyway. It's about time GM spent some money on their interiors!
have you read the information about their system? there ARE things unique with this system that haven't been used before. :nono:
Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I think the customizable gauges are pretty cool. If you look over them - there is one there that is VERY 'Volt' in nature - so we're likely looking at the Caddy version of the confirmed Volt-eque car - cool.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Exactly, that's what I find remarkable about this interior: it's modern and clearly tech-laden, but is extremely approachable (and thus appropriate for older buyers) in that everything seems very simple and unintimidating (in contrast to, say, many modern Mercedes and BMWs). I'm sure some people may take that simplicity to connote cheapness, but I for one think it's very well done. I expect the ATS to be a little more daring.

You have to remember, though, that the XTS is essentially the replacement for the two models--DTS and STS--which were popular with older buyers. And even though Cadillac wants this car to appeal to a much broader spectrum, those buyers will clearly gravitate towards Cadillac's larger, smoother, more comfortable model. Those buyers might be put off by too edgy an interior; they expect comfort and simplicity and I think in that respect this interior delivers. As I said, I think the ATS will have a little more flair.

Very well said Domino.

I think MyLincoln Touch is a great concept and I applaud them for being the first ones out the gate with something so comprehensive. It is however not entirely intuitive and the resistive touchscreen they are using on the system is horrible. The big news here is that Cadillac is employing a capacative touchscreen (like the iPhone) which will make everything more fluid and natural. That's a huge step.

This interior is very calculated in it's execution. Calculatedly restrained. People who want more "bang" can play around with all of the customization screens but the brilliance here is that if you want something more traditional you have the option as well. It's all about options in the luxury market...
Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Blue crazy moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
have you read the information about their system? there ARE things unique with this system that haven't been used before. :nono:
A capacitive screen and....?