Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Car sizes

Hi all

I've just returned from a trip to NY, i've spent 7 days there and i am shocked about the size of the cars you americans use there. I knew that american cars are somewhat bigger than its european counterparts, but i was honestly shocked about how many Escalades and Suburbans crawl the streets there, being NY such an overcrowded city. It makes me wonder how much easier it would be if you all used small citycars as we do here.

So i'd like to open a discussion: is there any reason why you like such big cars there? What about people living in other countries/continents, how do you like your cars in terms of size?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I don't think that's a US exclusive phenomenon. Just look at an average European cuity. Also tehre, the number of large SUVs (BMW X5 etc.) is actually striking, especially considering how tight European old towns can be. Plus, compare a Mondeo, Passat or Insignia to their versions in the 90ies, they are now the size of a Mk. 1 Audi A8 or contemporary 7 series nearly, even a "compact" Ocatvia is 4,7m long and quite wide as well.

I live in a wealthier suburb of Vienna, and 20 years ao, the typical second car used for the school run was something Golf or even Fiesta sized, nowadays it seems that ever mother is taking their kids in a BMW X something, Range Rover, Audi Q5 or Q7 or VW Sharan to school, even if the average family has probably 1,3 kids according to statistics...
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Here in Spain, super big cars are still a minority. C-segment is still the cash cow of all major brands here, together with medium size SUVs in the latter years. With medium size i mean VW Tiguan, Toyota RAV4 and the likes.

We used to have our share on bigger vehicles too, but ithas obviously diminished a lot after 2008.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
Here in Spain, super big cars are still a minority. C-segment is still the cash cow of all major brands here, together with medium size SUVs in the latter years. With medium size i mean VW Tiguan, Toyota RAV4 and the likes.

We used to have our share on bigger vehicles too, but ithas obviously diminished a lot after 2008.
I do notice that in Southern Europe this trend is less obvious, I was on a car holiday/road trip in Italy, and the difference between a wealthy northern Italian city (large premium cars, tons of SUVs and cross overs) and the south (old, dented Fiat Pandas and Puntos, some Hyundais and the rest is on a scooter) couldn't be bigger.

Even in Austria the C-segment cars are the most popular, but it seems all stay in the countryside, as approaching a city means cars explode in size...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I don't think that's a US exclusive phenomenon. Just look at an average European cuity. Also tehre, the number of large SUVs (BMW X5 etc.) is actually striking
In the US, a BMW X5 is just a mid-sizer. It looks small next to a full-size Suburban.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Da Vdub Man

Send a message via MSN to phaeton

Quote:
Hi all

I've just returned from a trip to NY, i've spent 7 days there and i am shocked about the size of the cars you americans use there. I knew that american cars are somewhat bigger than its european counterparts, but i was honestly shocked about how many Escalades and Suburbans crawl the streets there, being NY such an overcrowded city. It makes me wonder how much easier it would be if you all used small citycars as we do here.

So i'd like to open a discussion: is there any reason why you like such big cars there? What about people living in other countries/continents, how do you like your cars in terms of size?
Hi Reppu,

Good idea for discussion !!!

In Australia the most predominate vehicle was the A6, 5 series class with the Commodore, Falcon, Magna and Camry. These days Mazda3 is the top selling vehicle in Australia. Australia has shifted to three dominate segments as of recently. The above mentioned Mazda3/Corolla/Golf class, Rav4/Cx5/Tiguan class and Hilux/Ranger/Amarok (mines make a large proportion of this segment/ but private sales are growing).

In my area which is middle class right next door to the rich neighbourhoods the pre dominate vehicle class is the Corolla/Golf sized car with Rav4/Tiguan class following very close behind. The area has a broad range of vehicles and class' as you walk around the block. The midsized Passat/Camry/Mazda6 segment these days is the main car and the Corolla/Golf sized car or Polo/Yaris/Mazda2 is the second car or sometimes the Tiguan/Rav4 is the main car.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Hi all

Most cars in NYC are actually livery vehciles (Cars for hire, taxi service, ect). The Tahoe/Suburban and Escalade are very popular livery vehicles.

Most American cars aren't actually bigger than cars sold elsewhere; globalization has made everything virturally the same size. The C and D segments sell well here (most notably the D segment) but the B segment has been starting to gain steam along with the A-segment. E-segment non-luxury cars don't actually sell that well.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 AM
CSS Veteran

I have noticed that although the size difference remains it has got a lot smaller (between Europe and US).
By models sold the overlap is huge, one market runs smaller and the other larger. By popularity both are downsizing a little but taking standard hatch/saloons europeans favour B,C and D segment whereas americans go for C,D and E. Apart from luxury manufacturers we have no equivalent to full size cars so they're not big sellers but in the states C segments are getting more and more popular.

The market for trucks though is the difference, especially for buyers who will not use them to work. It definitely seems that bigger is seen as better in America for them.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
Apart from luxury manufacturers we have no equivalent to full size cars so they're not big sellers but in the states C segments are getting more and more popular..
Well the "full size non luxury car" did exist in Europe, it just died a decade or two ago, as no one bought them. Remember a Opel/Vauxhall Omega, Senator, Ford Scorpio, Renault Safrane, Peugeot 607 etc.? Yes, people just stopped buying them and got a 3 series or Audi A4 instead. (One could argue the Skoda Superb is a bit of the last one remaining in that segment, but also sold 99% as minicabs and airport limo)

And in fact, it's the same happening right now with Insignia, Passat and Mondeo. Selling less every year, as they have become actually the size of those predecessors. People rather get a cross over or 1 series, CLA or A3 instead.

It just seems that whilst SUVs can't be big enough, with sedans and hatchbacks ~4,5m (or below) in lengths is the sweet spot for sales success, as soon as a car outgrows that significantly, it will be replaced by the growing segment below. Or some cross over version.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Raconteur

If European fuel prices were more advantageous, Euros would drive larger and more powerful. It's an economic thing.

Here a Fusion is an affordable, thrifty, mid-size, mid-range car whereas in Europe the Mondeo is considered large, is no doubt seen as more expensive, and potentially near-premium (I'm guessing) relative to the market.

Don't be shocked. Move here and enjoy the advantage.