Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2015, 02:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Whoever he had the fracas with deserved it and should be fired for being an idiot.
Seriously? Were you there? If so, please give us the details and inside scoop on why someone deserved to be physically assaulted, especially when you have no idea what actually happened.

Just because someone is a "celebrity" and makes money doesn't give them the right to put their hands on ANYONE, particularly when the incident was allegedly over the fact that there was a lack of catering at the end of filming. What a manly thing to throw some punches over. Give me a break.

Unless perhaps you also throw punches at your coworkers when they don't bring you your dinner at the end of the day...

Last edited by pjl35; 03-13-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:11 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'll give you that in the context of automotive journalism. My point re: superstar was that if you don't follow the automotive industry (whether or not TG is broadcast in your country), most people would not know who he is.
My mother, an elderly woman not watching online streams (the only source for TG in Austria) or being too much into the car industry (she drives a Honda Jazz/Fit, which was her second choice becuase it's silver, but the dealer sold the red one half an hour before; just an insight on her level of car understanding) asked me yesterday, what exactly happened to Clarkson, and why he was suspended. I'm pretty sure though, she has never herd of Chris Harris, Harry Metcalfe or other star motor journalists with which all of us are familiar, which to me just is a sign what media phenomenon Clarkson has become already.

I also hope (and start to think) it's a PR stunt, if not, BBC should at least use it as such in the aftermath. The next TG episode with JC could be the most watched ever....
Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Administrator

what?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503129...-fight-scandal

if he quits, that's it, no more top gear :/
Old 03-13-2015, 11:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

If he leaves, the other two will leave as three of them have some kind of chemistry that just works. One of the reasons other Top Gear versions couldn't replicate it. If they leave, hopefully another network picks all three of them for Top Gear under different name.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Seriously? Were you there? If so, please give us the details and inside scoop on why someone deserved to be physically assaulted, especially when you have no idea what actually happened...
wah wah wah

Clarkson is the show. The facts of the incident DO NOT MATTER one iota. Let me repeat: Clarkson is the show. If anything the controversy would have BOOSTED ratings of the remaining episodes. I'm a pragmatist. The show is big money to the BBC and BBC America and the show should go on. The BBC needs to be ballsy and keep the show on the air.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
wah wah wah

Clarkson is the show. The facts of the incident DO NOT MATTER one iota. Let me repeat: Clarkson is the show. If anything the controversy would have BOOSTED ratings of the remaining episodes. I'm a pragmatist. The show is big money to the BBC and BBC America and the show should go on. The BBC needs to be ballsy and keep the show on the air.
Well, sucks for you fans then. "wah wah wah"
Old 03-15-2015, 01:13 AM
Raconteur

Aimed at no one...

The lynch mob mentality of the Clarkson debacle is basic celebrity envy psychology. The nobodies of the world live vicariously through the lives of celebrities, adulating them, BUT it's game on when a celebrity messes up because then the feeding frenzy begins. Celebrity worshippers love nothing more than piling on and eviscerating the celebrity (1) as if the celebrity will hear and (2) as if their opinions matter in any way. When people are in the "wham bam thank you, ma'am" intensity of their judgmental, self-superiority they feel righteous and validated.

This is what is going on here with all the people piling on about Clarkson.

People are pointing at him as a monster but they have three fingers pointed back at themselves.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:06 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
When people are in the "wham bam thank you, ma'am" intensity of their judgmental, self-superiority they feel righteous and validated.
You're the one worshiping Clarkson, with a "the celebrity can do no wrong" mentality, because, and this is basically what you're saying, he's a celebrity and makes money for BBC so therefore he should be held to a different standard than someone else who isn't. Tell me, if some random person you had never heard of had punched someone else, and as you've said you "don't care about the details," would you be so gung ho on defending them?

I will say again NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO PHYSICALLY ASSAULT SOMEONE unless they're defending themselves, but particularly not for something as trivial as a late catering service. That's not "lynch mob" mentality, that's holding someone, who's made his livelihood public, to the same standard as everyone else in a civilized society.

You know who uses physical intimidation to get what he wants with an expectation of no consequences? A BULLY. Interesting that you're defending them now instead of crying wolf in various threads that you're the victim of a bully.

So done with this. The rest of you can continue blabbing on about how your lives are over because this unstable man is no longer going to grace you with his presence on the BBC and how someone else deserved to be punched in the face.

Last edited by pjl35; 03-15-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Raconteur

I'm not worshipping Clarkson. The BBC has been OK with his boorish ways for years, so for them to "suddenly" take the moral high road is disingenuous and hypocritical.

I say: "Let the show go on."
Old 03-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Administrator

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503259...-from-top-gear

So Clarkson's contract will not be renewed, this probably means the end of TG on BBC as we know it. Perhaps it will move onto another network but I do not believe the TG name will go along with the trio. Hamster and captain slow also have their contracts up for renewal and I doubt they will do the show without clarkson.