There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2016, 12:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2018 Genesis G70

Sadly, nothing like the New York Concept

http://www.motor1.com/news/95246/genesis-g70-spied/

This is probably a nice, competent design, but after that concept it just doesn't hold a candle. They've settled for being present and accounted for instead of setting the segment on fire. :sad2:
Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Unimpressive and dull from these photos.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 AM
Crazy Composer!

Why bother building a concept.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:53 AM
Raconteur

Well the Donnie Downers have spoken.

I'd rather have this than the Alfa quality crapstorm or the Jaguar Camry.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

One must admit that Hyundai/Kia is number one at watering down concepts. I mean why bother with "indicators of new design language", when nothing ends up in the final product. This looks like an infinity with a Lexus IS greeenhouse and some Alfa Giuulia flavor added, not bad, but finally dull. Also, it shares zero DNA with other Genesis cars.

Unless it has some outstanding chassis (which, to be honest, few/no Hyundai/Kia had so far, good but not great is typical) or some superb new engine concpets, all it can sell on as a new and unknown name is price/kit/warranty. Which I'm sure will work in the US, but outside there, I doubt anyone will consider this over the default German choice, a hybrid Lexus that will last forever or some left field Jaguar, Alfa or Volvo. The "95% of the best for 80% of the price" approach works great in mass market, but in the premium segment, it needs to stand out. And it needs brand image. So far, the Genesis car I see (next to my office is a UN building, with Korean delegates always driving the newest large Hyundais or Genesis that aren't even officially sold here, so I see them regularly) are looking like a mixture of the segment's perspective best sellers, decent, but unremarkable. And reviews rarely rave about how great they are to rive, or how outstanding refinement or luxury they offer. Well made cars, nothing wrong, but unfortunately, it stops there...

I guess the real player for Genesis will be their first SUV, after all it seems SUVs/CUVs are what Hyundai/Kia manages to do best, and always were kind of the foot in the door for them in most markets (for most people, it were the Tucsoins, Santa Fees or Sportage and Sorrentos, that put those brands on the shopping list..)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
One must admit that Hyundai/Kia is number one at watering down concepts.
I think Mistubishi has that title

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
I think Mistubishi has that title
I nearly forgot they still exist ;)
Old 08-31-2016, 11:51 AM

why bother? The only way to get people talking is to set the segment on fire, this is meh.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:56 PM

Is motor1 a pretty reliable source of info? Not only does this not look NOTHING like the concept, but it doesn't really look like the other Genesis models (although those models also don't resemble each other). I mean, this could honestly be the next Acura ILX (aside from the dash-to-axle ratio) for all we know.

Aside from that, I think it's handsome and nicely proportioned, if quite derivative.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Is motor1 a pretty reliable source of info? Not only does this not look NOTHING like the concept, but it doesn't really look like the other Genesis models (although those models also don't resemble each other). I mean, this could honestly be the next Acura ILX (aside from the dash-to-axle ratio) for all we know.

Aside from that, I think it's handsome and nicely proportioned, if quite derivative.
Grille is wrong for it to be an Acura; I think sadly it is the G70. That grille is pure Genesis after seeing the G80 and G90.

I'm actually surprised it's this far along with a production body, etc. Did we ever see mules?

Last edited by pjl35; 08-31-2016 at 04:19 PM.