Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Well, I guess this explains why they just cancelled the 6-Series (for the U.S., at least). I suspect it'll be handsome, luxurious, and kind of boring.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-8...upe-confirmed/
My sources tell me that the car BMW will introduce as the new 8 series has originally been developed as the successor of the current 6 series. Therefore we shall not expect 7 series underpinnings; instead it will be based on the structure of the 5 series.

Aside from that the prototype styling already shows that we cannot expect a noble 2+2 ready to compete with the Mercedes-Benz S-class Coupé or the next-generation Bentley Continental GT. But that is exactly the kind of product desperately needed if BMW really wants to achieve the credibility of a true competitor in the luxury segment. Why on earth was it not possible to come up with a car like of the wonderful BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe???

Obviously the responsible managers haven't learned from the fact that the current 6 series never made a real impression among luxury car buyers due to the fact, that most of its substance derived directly from the former 5 series. As a consequence it was seen like a competitor for cars like the Mercedes-Benz CLS. Unfortunately with much higher price tag. If we look at registration numbers we can see that this recipe definitely dod not work. I am convinced we will see exactly the same situation with the new 8 series. And they really believe changing a number makes the difference? Somebody in Munich must really think that luxury car customers are stupid.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Should this not be merged with the existing thread??
Old 05-12-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Should this not be merged with the existing thread??
Was there one? I looked back like 5 pages.

Mods, please go ahead to merge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage
Somebody in Munich must really think that luxury car customers are stupid.
Truth be told, I don't think a lot of car buyers (incl those w/ $) necessarily know the platform underpinning the car. Bentley seemed to have done decent business, and isn't the platform shared w/ the Phaeton? Design (and branding) can make all the difference....
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Well, I guess this explains why they just cancelled the 6-Series (for the U.S., at least). I suspect it'll be handsome, luxurious, and kind of boring.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-8...upe-confirmed/
Certainly you perfectly describe the design that we can expect ;)

I expect th eupmove in numbers to be met with prices moving accordingly to or over 7 sreies etrritory, unfortunately;

Teh 6 series isn't exactly dead, but the name will be applied to the 5 series GT replacement (and the 6 series Gran Coupe seems to keep it's name as well), so to reflect the 1/2 and 3/4 series mix of incosnistent car names
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
And they really believe changing a number makes the difference? Somebody in Munich must really think that luxury car customers are stupid.
History shows that changing a number allows to charge higher prices and it actually works - BMW is doing it with 4-series and Audi with A5 and nobody seems to care they cost more when they used to be called 3-series coupe or A4 cabrio.

Market for coupes is declining, so maybe they felt they wouldn't sell much of it anyway, and calling it 8-series will allow them to charge higher prices.

Plus you seem to forget that there are many people that buy luxury cars because they have desired brand and they are expensive - hey, look at my new 100K BMW type of guys.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

But I miss the days of an actual 3 series coupe: straightforward, clean and elegant. The 4 series tries too hard to look fast.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
History shows that changing a number allows to charge higher prices and it actually works - BMW is doing it with 4-series and Audi with A5 and nobody seems to care they cost more when they used to be called 3-series coupe or A4 cabrio.

Market for coupes is declining, so maybe they felt they wouldn't sell much of it anyway, and calling it 8-series will allow them to charge higher prices.

Plus you seem to forget that there are many people that buy luxury cars because they have desired brand and they are expensive - hey, look at my new 100K BMW type of guys.
it's not just changing a number, it's also mirroring engine lineup (V12 offering) and hopefully using the more expensive partial carbon fiber construction of the 7 series. I would guess the 6 convertible and 4 door coupe will remain 6 series and based on the 5 series, and maybe even a 6 series 2-door coupe outside of the US.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Was there one? I looked back like 5 pages.

Mods, please go ahead to merge.
Here for mods: http://carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=23620
Old 05-30-2017, 05:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/bmw-m8-worth-wait/

even with all the camo, this looks mean. and gorgeous
Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM
CSS Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6ktMWakBc

Finally, a BMW exhaust sound that sounds intense.

Definitely more intense compared to M5/M6 or X5 M (X6 M)