Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM

It looks fantastic in this rendering (didn't really like the black roof of the concept), however rear visibility will be abysmal, the kink in the windowline should move a handlength back at least, it looks like the rendering is fitting the spyshots though in that regard, so function seems to follow form :/

Last edited by disap.ed; 03-24-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Crazy Composer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
It looks fantastic in this rendering (didn't really like the black roof of the concept), however rear visibility will be abysmal, the kink in the windowline should move a handlength back at least, it looks like the rendering is fitting the spyshots though in that regard, so function seems to follow form :/
I actually think the spy shots show less of a dense pillar than the concept and rendering. The article mentions it too.

Another thing I'm noticing is the roof is more streamlined and sloped than the concept in the back. The tail lights look like they are at less as steep of an angle.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:06 AM

Y'all got better eyes than I do b/c, btw the cladding and the swirl-y camo, I still don't think I can really make out the D-pillar! The basic shape and proportions are certainly good, although I think nearly all cars in this class (aside from the X1) suffer from too little of a rear overhang (so they all look like lifted hatchbacks.... which is what they essentially are). I imagine the interior will be class-leading, based on the Lynk & Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
any hatchback or regular sedan/estate in the C/D segment is basically sold with massive discounts - often 25/30% - from day one, no matter the badge
Fascinating. My understanding is that the U.S. buyers of the Mercedes E-class wagon are among the company's most wealthy buyers. It's a small market, but the buyers are apparently extremely loyal. i think it's sort of a weird halo car for them here, actually.

Of course, it has no competition in the U.S. (aside from the upcoming V90).
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...-10215973.html

Pic update, close up.

Plus a lot more under the link. Shaping up nicely, with good proportions, and not only a hatchback on stilts like the GLA, but proper CUV shape.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Plus a lot more under the link. Shaping up nicely, with good proportions, and not only a hatchback on stilts like the GLA, but proper CUV shape.
And what is the CUV specifically good at? Can carry as much as a minivan? Can go off-road? Handles as well as a sportscar?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
And what is the CUV specifically good at? Can carry as much as a minivan? Can go off-road? Handles as well as a sportscar?
Did he suggest anything of that nature? No. He just said it looks more like a crossover than a raised hatch...

Chill.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM

I still wish there were about 3 more inches of length at the rear, but otherwise not a bad design. Wonder how this will compare to the Mercedes GLB (which is also rumored to have a more upright, "butch" design)....
Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
And what is the CUV specifically good at?
What the CUV is specifically good at is sales. They sell by the ship load....
Old 05-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Did he suggest anything of that nature? No. He just said it looks more like a crossover than a raised hatch...

Chill.
What he suggested is that a CUV is better than a lifted hatch. This is not true, regardless of CUV sales success.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
What he suggested is that a CUV is better than a lifted hatch. This is not true, regardless of CUV sales success.
I did suggest it looks like a proper CUV, not a lifted hatch (like teh current V40 XC), not that one is better than the other. But whilst the "slightly lifted and cladded" hatchbacks are popular, proper CUVs - which also includes the elevated seating position that these things are popular for, next to their design - are even more popular.

And ultimately the customers decide what is best for them, there are actually very few petrol heads who give value the same priorities as car reviewers, priorities like cornering, steering feel or the ultimately polished ride etc. over more subjective qualities like design, image or the mentioned elevated "command seating position", that gives them e a feeling of safety and driving a bigger car compared to your standard C-segment hatchback.