Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 03:08 AM

I think Kona's design comes from the 2001 Pontiac Aztek which even had the similar cladding option. See it for yourself. https://www.cars.com/research/pontiac-aztek-2001
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I hope that's the European version. That is HIDEOUS. That look is exactly what NOT to put on the US market.
Emmmm...that face is exactly the same one as the Jeep Cherokee.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

This looks very French to me, like some Chinese company tried to make a Citroen Catusesque car. Weird, after the rather Germanic or restrained late Hyundais.

Also, I don't get the raised hatchback look, there is already a i20 Cross, I was expecting it to look more like a proper CUV, but this is about as much more CUV than a GLA is to a regular A Class (jsut that the A Class doesn't come in a cladded and raised version).

Finally, wouldn't this technically belong into the spy shpt section, I mean it's nothing official, just adding to the "teasers are enough" new car threads...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I hope that's the European version. That is HIDEOUS. That look is exactly what NOT to put on the US market.
Your delusions of grandeur for 'murika are always extremely entertaining and unpredictable. Not.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
Emmmm...that face is exactly the same one as the Jeep Cherokee.
And the Cherokee is pushed out the door with loads of money on the door. Its styling has NOT been universally adored, though it has been derided. Moreover, the Cherokee is pummeled for sales in its class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
This looks very French to me, like some Chinese company tried to make a Citroen Catusesque car. Weird, after the rather Germanic or restrained late Hyundais...
It's vile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysnkisses View Post
Your delusions of grandeur for 'murika are always extremely entertaining and unpredictable. Not.
Did someone hear a chihuahua yapping yet again?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:

Did someone hear a chihuahua yapping yet again?
Go build your wall.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Why don't you take a stroll in a Smithsonian?

Good grief people.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM
The Lurker

You know, sometimes we put some much weight on design here, but the vast majority of normal consumers doesn't give 2 sh*ts about it. They're brand loyalists or are unaware of the market and brand shifts. Relatively speaking, this thing looks fine and very much in line with what the segment is doing. Yes it has a Cherokee face. The cladding and bumpers are very Euro-esque. It's a a hodge-podge of design for better or worse (I'm not on board, but I'm not surprised by people who are).

If anything, copying or looking like the other cars in this segment is intentional and a good thing for sales. Joe Shmoe will see this and think "hey! is that the new Cherokee?" And be surprised when he learns it's a Hyundai selling for a good deal less (speculating here, but value is Hyundai's strong point now).

They could have styled it less daring and more generic like Mazda is doing with their cars (they're great, but sort of bland). Instead Hyundai has a pretty safe and smart middle ground of looking interesting without really being inventive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
If the less ridiculous surfacing of the Toyota Fun makes its way to other mainstream Toyotas, that means that Honda might be the only Asian purveyor of butt-ugly cars (well, at least of the Asian makes selling cars in the U.S.)!

And I know I come off as the Honda boy, coming to their defense a lot, but really, Honda is in no way an outlier or unique in making "ugly" cars. If the Fun concept really meant anything, they would have used it for designing the new Camry which debuted less than half a year ago. They release a ton of relatively good-looking concepts and promising exercises (the Corolla concept comes to mind), but their production models are almost always heavily neutered and messy (again, the Corolla). The Avalon is their only stand-out for me as a "good" design. I mean jesus christ, look at the new Prius ( how did that even happen )

I also challenge the notion of Hondas being ugly in general. I find the Accord, Pilot, CR-V, and Ridgline to be very handsome if not generic. I love the current Civic but I see it being used as the token to call the rest of their line-up bad.

In my eyes, Subarus are quite awkward and bland. Nissan is also hit-or-miss.
Mazda, Kia, and Hyundai are the better half of Asian design (also pushing the lowest volume of cars), but all of the more mainstream brands including Honda (Toyota, Subaru, Nissan) have their issues. Not that any of this seems to affect sales ...
Old 05-10-2017, 07:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
Y I mean jesus christ, look at the new Prius ( how did that even happen )

This months Car and Driver talked about their hydrogen car (can't remember the name) - but it's in the Prius family of looks for sure. C&D called it Blindingly Hideous - I loved that line as it was so accurate.

I agree - not all Honda's are ugly. The new Civic (for the most part) is pretty nice (the part that isn't most is the nose - that chrome piece is just 100% awkward; much better resolved on the CRV.

The pre-MMC Accord is a handsome car; classic Honda in that regard; post - pretty terrible (again - that chrome piece ruins it).

The Pilot is just plain bad to my eyes - but my neighbour has one and adores it. The Ridgeline is awful. Their Odyssey isn't great - but the newer one is improved I guess.

I think Honda IS returning (slowly) to their classic designs (CRV is a handsome product - period); and agree the concepts have shown promise (NO idea why the Montreal Auto Show Honda concept hasn't made production yet).

As you'd pointed out though - Kia, Hyundai, Mazda are the strong players for designs from across the pond now adays... side bar - saw my first 'NEW' CX5 the other day'; fantastic looking product.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
This months Car and Driver talked about their hydrogen car (can't remember the name) - but it's in the Prius family of looks for sure. C&D called it Blindingly Hideous - I loved that line as it was so accurate.
It's the Clarity.