Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Do they update the hardware, too? I know that batteries have been upgraded and that the software gets updated over the air. Didn't realize there were significant other upgrades but that would make sense.

I actually like the idea of driver assistance for fatigue reduction on long drives (driving in a straight line on a freeway for 2-3 hrs literally puts me to sleep). It'd be nice to have the car take over for a few secs here and there so I can stretch a bit and slap myself awake (no, seriously). I also think self driving cars in a urban areas for those who are elderly or otherwise mobility-impaired could really be life-changing.

I don't get why auto makes have navigation software at all. Smartphones are common enough (and far easier to update) that I think mirroring ability is all that is needed (IMHO).
As far as I know - they have updated the onboard computers to handle the Auto Pilot. There have been battery upgrades also. In terms of the traditional driving stuff (steering / etc) - not that I'm aware of. The battery upgrades are a bit bizarre IMO; the 60 actually has 75 batteries - however to access the extra storage (and acceleration) it's a SW change that opens up the capacity. So, if you have a Tesla 60, and decide you want more range - go to Tesla and they'll update your SW to increase to a 75 - but no HW change (ie, extra batteries) are needed.

I also do like the idea of Auto Pilot. A GREAT example of what I'd LOVE to see; I have a cottage in PEI (smallest province in Canada) - about 1,800 KM's from my house. Technically - the promise of auto pilot is that I could hop into my car after work and say 'take me to my cottage' - fall asleep and wake up in PEI. That's pretty damn cool.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 AM

Another article with better pictures.

Model 3 new pictures

Model 3

Body panel gap and fit looks at Chinese level to be a "release candidate" car
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 AM

All glass roof model 3 spoted.

Model 3 glass roof

Model 3
Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
As far as I know - they have updated the onboard computers to handle the Auto Pilot. There have been battery upgrades also. In terms of the traditional driving stuff (steering / etc) - not that I'm aware of. The battery upgrades are a bit bizarre IMO; the 60 actually has 75 batteries - however to access the extra storage (and acceleration) it's a SW change that opens up the capacity. So, if you have a Tesla 60, and decide you want more range - go to Tesla and they'll update your SW to increase to a 75 - but no HW change (ie, extra batteries) are needed.

I also do like the idea of Auto Pilot. A GREAT example of what I'd LOVE to see; I have a cottage in PEI (smallest province in Canada) - about 1,800 KM's from my house. Technically - the promise of auto pilot is that I could hop into my car after work and say 'take me to my cottage' - fall asleep and wake up in PEI. That's pretty damn cool.
Also, when it comes to autopilot, all Teslas are equipped with the hardware for it, and that also requires a software upgrade.

Makes you wonder if hacks will be a thing of the future for Teslas.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
...Technically - the promise of auto pilot is that I could hop into my car after work and say 'take me to my cottage' - fall asleep and wake up in PEI. That's pretty damn cool.
The question I would have--not to you personally but in general--would be what if the car malfunctions. Who has the responsibility? I like the idea of smart cars (not Smart cars) that do all sorts of things to make a driver safer (collision avoidance, driver input correction) and the the commute shorter (reading traffic flow and directing accordingly), but I think drivers need to have their hands on the wheel.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

That's a pretty philosophical question, but a very important one.

If a car on autopilot messes up, gets unto an accident and causes a death, who is responsible? Some argue the programmer of the SW, as the car is not AI, and is onl6 doing what it's programmed to do.

I personally ally believe that it is the driver. They're behind the wheel, so they should own the outcome of that.

I can see the lure of autopilot, but I'm also a 'driver'... so it's not a feature I need.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The question I would have--not to you personally but in general--would be what if the car malfunctions. Who has the responsibility? I like the idea of smart cars (not Smart cars) that do all sorts of things to make a driver safer (collision avoidance, driver input correction) and the the commute shorter (reading traffic flow and directing accordingly), but I think drivers need to have their hands on the wheel.
I would guess the statistical probability of Tesla Autopilot causing an accident is substantially lower than human error. Until Tesla advertises 100% autonomous driving with no disclaimer, I'd assume the fault still falls on the driver but that will definitely be an interesting court case one day.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
I would guess the statistical probability of Tesla Autopilot causing an accident is substantially lower than human error. Until Tesla advertises 100% autonomous driving with no disclaimer, I'd assume the fault still falls on the driver but that will definitely be an interesting court case one day.
It will also be interesting to see if Mercedes lets Tesla test the litigious waters first or whether they dive right in. I have the hunch that Mercedes and Porsche are letting Elon run his mouth and take ill-advised risks like releasing autopilot before it was full "baked" because I truly don't believe Tesla can out-engineer them. I'm also quite surprised that Musk hasn't sold the whole show to someone like GM. I really thought he would puff Tesla up and then drop it on someone.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

There were serious discussions with Google for them to buy Tesla... but then their share price REALLY took off and Google shied away.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I couldn't agree more. I think all the clever stuff should be there to aid the driver, but not to replace his responsibility to have the eyes on the road and generally be responsible.