CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Crash Crash is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Do they update the hardware, too? I know that batteries have been upgraded and that the software gets updated over the air. Didn't realize there were significant other upgrades but that would make sense.

I actually like the idea of driver assistance for fatigue reduction on long drives (driving in a straight line on a freeway for 2-3 hrs literally puts me to sleep). It'd be nice to have the car take over for a few secs here and there so I can stretch a bit and slap myself awake (no, seriously). I also think self driving cars in a urban areas for those who are elderly or otherwise mobility-impaired could really be life-changing.

I don't get why auto makes have navigation software at all. Smartphones are common enough (and far easier to update) that I think mirroring ability is all that is needed (IMHO).
As far as I know - they have updated the onboard computers to handle the Auto Pilot. There have been battery upgrades also. In terms of the traditional driving stuff (steering / etc) - not that I'm aware of. The battery upgrades are a bit bizarre IMO; the 60 actually has 75 batteries - however to access the extra storage (and acceleration) it's a SW change that opens up the capacity. So, if you have a Tesla 60, and decide you want more range - go to Tesla and they'll update your SW to increase to a 75 - but no HW change (ie, extra batteries) are needed.

I also do like the idea of Auto Pilot. A GREAT example of what I'd LOVE to see; I have a cottage in PEI (smallest province in Canada) - about 1,800 KM's from my house. Technically - the promise of auto pilot is that I could hop into my car after work and say 'take me to my cottage' - fall asleep and wake up in PEI. That's pretty damn cool.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 AM
The Car-man The Car-man is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 98
Default

Another article with better pictures.

Model 3 new pictures

Model 3

Body panel gap and fit looks at Chinese level to be a "release candidate" car
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 AM
The Car-man The Car-man is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 98
Default

All glass roof model 3 spoted.

Model 3 glass roof

Model 3
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 PM
ndjan ndjan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
As far as I know - they have updated the onboard computers to handle the Auto Pilot. There have been battery upgrades also. In terms of the traditional driving stuff (steering / etc) - not that I'm aware of. The battery upgrades are a bit bizarre IMO; the 60 actually has 75 batteries - however to access the extra storage (and acceleration) it's a SW change that opens up the capacity. So, if you have a Tesla 60, and decide you want more range - go to Tesla and they'll update your SW to increase to a 75 - but no HW change (ie, extra batteries) are needed.

I also do like the idea of Auto Pilot. A GREAT example of what I'd LOVE to see; I have a cottage in PEI (smallest province in Canada) - about 1,800 KM's from my house. Technically - the promise of auto pilot is that I could hop into my car after work and say 'take me to my cottage' - fall asleep and wake up in PEI. That's pretty damn cool.
Also, when it comes to autopilot, all Teslas are equipped with the hardware for it, and that also requires a software upgrade.

Makes you wonder if hacks will be a thing of the future for Teslas.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
...Technically - the promise of auto pilot is that I could hop into my car after work and say 'take me to my cottage' - fall asleep and wake up in PEI. That's pretty damn cool.
The question I would have--not to you personally but in general--would be what if the car malfunctions. Who has the responsibility? I like the idea of smart cars (not Smart cars) that do all sorts of things to make a driver safer (collision avoidance, driver input correction) and the the commute shorter (reading traffic flow and directing accordingly), but I think drivers need to have their hands on the wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Crash Crash is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,923
Default

That's a pretty philosophical question, but a very important one.

If a car on autopilot messes up, gets unto an accident and causes a death, who is responsible? Some argue the programmer of the SW, as the car is not AI, and is onl6 doing what it's programmed to do.

I personally ally believe that it is the driver. They're behind the wheel, so they should own the outcome of that.

I can see the lure of autopilot, but I'm also a 'driver'... so it's not a feature I need.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The question I would have--not to you personally but in general--would be what if the car malfunctions. Who has the responsibility? I like the idea of smart cars (not Smart cars) that do all sorts of things to make a driver safer (collision avoidance, driver input correction) and the the commute shorter (reading traffic flow and directing accordingly), but I think drivers need to have their hands on the wheel.
I would guess the statistical probability of Tesla Autopilot causing an accident is substantially lower than human error. Until Tesla advertises 100% autonomous driving with no disclaimer, I'd assume the fault still falls on the driver but that will definitely be an interesting court case one day.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 AM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
I would guess the statistical probability of Tesla Autopilot causing an accident is substantially lower than human error. Until Tesla advertises 100% autonomous driving with no disclaimer, I'd assume the fault still falls on the driver but that will definitely be an interesting court case one day.
It will also be interesting to see if Mercedes lets Tesla test the litigious waters first or whether they dive right in. I have the hunch that Mercedes and Porsche are letting Elon run his mouth and take ill-advised risks like releasing autopilot before it was full "baked" because I truly don't believe Tesla can out-engineer them. I'm also quite surprised that Musk hasn't sold the whole show to someone like GM. I really thought he would puff Tesla up and then drop it on someone.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 AM
Crash Crash is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,923
Default

There were serious discussions with Google for them to buy Tesla... but then their share price REALLY took off and Google shied away.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-08-2017, 07:24 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The question I would have--not to you personally but in general--would be what if the car malfunctions. Who has the responsibility? I like the idea of smart cars (not Smart cars) that do all sorts of things to make a driver safer (collision avoidance, driver input correction) and the the commute shorter (reading traffic flow and directing accordingly), but I think drivers need to have their hands on the wheel.
I couldn't agree more. I think all the clever stuff should be there to aid the driver, but not to replace his responsibility to have the eyes on the road and generally be responsible.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy