Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It will also be interesting to see if Mercedes lets Tesla test the litigious waters first or whether they dive right in. I have the hunch that Mercedes and Porsche are letting Elon run his mouth and take ill-advised risks like releasing autopilot before it was full "baked" because I truly don't believe Tesla can out-engineer them. I'm also quite surprised that Musk hasn't sold the whole show to someone like GM. I really thought he would puff Tesla up and then drop it on someone.
Last quote I've seen is that there are +2million miles of 'auto pilot' testing. There has been at least one 'known' crash as a result of someone using it exclusively (my memory wants to say there is one more as well). So, given the law of averages - it's probably why Elon is suggesting that Tesla should get into insurance.

Again - me personally, I want to DRIVE the car, so Auto pilot isn't a function that I'll purchase day one when I get my model 3. There are also some questions on if the provinces in Canada will all allow it (they smell money - so likely yes); however if I travel from Ontario to PEI (which is something I do as I have a cottage in PEI) - and auto pilot is available, then I might go for it I guess. We'll see.

Separately, has anyone on these forums actually driven a Tesla? I have. Wow - it's a riot. And by far the most comfortable seats my rear end has ever touched in the auto world.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Mary Barra Motor Works and Human Relations Incorporated would gladly buy Tesla, attempt to marry it with the Volt brand and subsequently ruin everything simultaneously among whispers of Saturn's reemergence.

Has anything unrelated to a "small block V8" ever gone quite right for GM?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Volt is actually doing fairly well. Gen II is selling about equal to what Gen II Prius did - and customer satisfaction for that car ranks highest among all cars (except Tesla).

Sure, it's not selling Sierra like numbers - but it's doing well in context to it's plan.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:39 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Last quote I've seen is that there are +2million miles of 'auto pilot' testing.
Tesla actually advertises 2 billion miles of Autopilot testing, but that number is deceiving--most of that is simulated based on miles logged by current owners of vehicles equipped with Autopilot. California requires all automakers who test autonomous vehicles in the state to report the number of miles actually driven, and Tesla reported only 550 miles driven--with 182 disengagements for failure. By comparison, Waymo, Google's autonomy unit, logged 635,868 autonomous--and reported just 124 disengagements for the entire year. Even GM and Nissan ran significantly more miles than Tesla did, with fewer issues.

Tesla says they also test elsewhere and on private courses, but the reality is you need testing on actual roads to really build a robust system.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
great question!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Mary Barra Motor Works and Human Relations Incorporated would gladly buy Tesla, attempt to marry it with the Volt brand and subsequently ruin everything simultaneously among whispers of Saturn's reemergence.

Mr. Musk would have a very hard time to sell Tesla Motors to any seasoned OEM right now. Tesla Motors' current vehicle development curve would not align with that of existing OEMs. Their process is and going to still burn through a lot of cash and no OEM wants to buy a burden like that. Tesla Motors is trying to be different, but it isn't yet fully established. How Model 3 launches will be a sign whether or not it is an established OEM with good record. So far, Tesla Motors is still a low volume niche car OEM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 PM
MERCURY: Mission2020 @FiN

Quote:

..."a chop is a wish your heart makes"
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Volt is actually doing fairly well. Gen II is selling about equal to what Gen II Prius did - and customer satisfaction for that car ranks highest among all cars (except Tesla).

Sure, it's not selling Sierra like numbers - but it's doing well in context to it's plan.
Ive always seen Volt as something like a brand or division within GM And that may be its saving grace. but it suffers from the same copycat identity crisis as the rest of the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonium959 View Post
Mr. Musk would have a very hard time to sell Tesla Motors to any seasoned OEM right now.
Lets talk about GM who ...

Wrecked SAAB into oblivion and couldn't sell it for years
Let consumer Hummer die while the Wrangler soared
Trashed Saturn, the one brand attractive to diehard import customers, by turning away from that brand's blessings
Screwed up a deal with very technically competent Isuzu (not unlike the SAAB disaster)
Rebadged a bloody Subaru WRX as a SAAB!
Rebadged the POS Trailblazer as a SAAB!
Let Oldsmobile die too

And then went bankrupt

(Subaru escaped, jumped into bed with Toyota and the excellent + slow 86 was born. )

But then GM...

Rebadged a Volt as the Cadillac ELR
Let the Mustang overtake the Camaro in sales, probably for good
Reconstructed the E46 3 series ... why?
Gave Buick a sub-compact SUV that looks like a luxury mail truck...
Named a car after an Olympic champion .... why?
BUILT A COFFEE SHOP IN MANHATTAN!!!!
And will let you drive any Cadillac for the sweet sweet price of 1500$/mo.

If anyone is stupid enough to try, its GM. (And that's why I didn't get a C6 GS)

Last edited by Naga Royal Guard; 05-10-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Because im not wearing any pants right now.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Ive always seen Volt as something like a brand or division within GM And that may be its saving grace. but it suffers from the same copycat identity crisis as the rest of the company.

Lets talk about GM who ...

Wrecked SAAB into oblivion and couldn't sell it for years
Let consumer Hummer die while the Wrangler soared
Trashed Saturn, the one brand attractive to diehard import customers, by turning away from that brand's blessings
Screwed up a deal with very technically competent Isuzu (not unlike the SAAB disaster)
Rebadged a bloody Subaru WRX as a SAAB!
Rebadged the POS Trailblazer as a SAAB!
Let Oldsmobile die too

And then went bankrupt

(Subaru escaped, jumped into bed with Toyota and the excellent + slow 86 was born. )

But then GM...

Rebadged a Volt as the Cadillac ELR
Let the Mustang overtake the Camaro in sales, probably for good
Reconstructed the E46 3 series ... why?
Gave Buick a sub-compact SUV that looks like a luxury mail truck...
Named a car after an Olympic champion .... why?
BUILT A COFFEE SHOP IN MANHATTAN!!!!
And will let you drive any Cadillac for the sweet sweet price of 1500$/mo.

If anyone is stupid enough to try, its GM. (And that's why I didn't get a C6 GS)
You also forgot the huge chaos that Opel has been for years, with the rather chaotic sale to PSA finally, that still leaves a lot of questions about lineup, presence in Europe, etc.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Yes indeed. Opel, Vauxhaull and the Holden disaster; all post New-GM.