Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2019 BMW 1 Series Bimmer (F40)

The first spyshots of the 2019 model (codename F40, how dare they ;)), finally the hatchback switching to FWD as well:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...e-1031690.html

Not that the switch to FWD brings along a dramatic visual change (though the car does give me Ford Focus vibes form the shape/proportions).

FWD also means that there will no longer be an inline 6 available. The M135i will have a 2.0 4 cylinder and AWD, otherwise AWD will be apparently available only for the diesel versions. Engine wise expect the mix of 3 and 4 cylinder petrol/diesel engines form the X1/ 2 series GT/Mini, and a hybrid version is to be expected.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Raconteur

It really is unfortunate that BMW isn't bringing the 1 Series to the USA. The FWD sedan would definitely sell. Granted, the trick would be to sell it to people who can't afford a 3 Series, but so what? The hatchback begs to be pitted dollar for dollar against the GTI.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

This car will be for insecure badge whores.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
And sales are sales. Mercedes was smart to do the CLA and the GLA. Badge whores have money to spend and getting it out of their pockets and into BMW coffers should be the plan.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
As compared to previous versions of the 1 series?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It really is unfortunate that BMW isn't bringing the 1 Series to the USA. The FWD sedan would definitely sell. Granted, the trick would be to sell it to people who can't afford a 3 Series, but so what? The hatchback begs to be pitted dollar for dollar against the GTI.
Especially seeing as we're supposed to get the next A-Class.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Especially seeing as we're supposed to get the next A-Class.
Do you suppose Sergio Marchionne is also running BMW?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Well just as the majority of smaller premium cars, which usually share most of their parts with - sometimes much lesser - mass market cars. But those badge snobs are already numerous, and ever so growing in number nevertheless

Quote:
And sales are sales. Mercedes was smart to do the CLA and the GLA. Badge whores have money to spend and getting it out of their pockets and into BMW coffers should be the plan.
Well given BMW's obsession with niche, they are not less clever either. The X2 is coming soon, and there will apparently be a FWD 2 series 4 door coupe as well. I wouldn't be surprised about a regular estate being called 2 Series Grand Coupe Shooting Break, to maximize margin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
As compared to previous versions of the 1 series?
Well hardcore fans could argue that the current model in it's high end versions (meaning a nice inline 6 coupled with RWD) is something like a true driver's car, and probably closest to what a "real BMW" used to be. However, I guess the "true enthusiasts actually buying" are outnumbered by "114i/116d but with M appearance package" badge snobs 1 to 999, approximately, so the target audience will hardly change.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about FWD BMWs, especially since it's replacing the RWD 1/2 series, but as a GTI/ST alternative it would be very intriguing.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
I have mixed feelings about FWD BMWs, especially since it's replacing the RWD 1/2 series, but as a GTI/ST alternative it would be very intriguing.
Given BMW's stumble with the 7 Series and the new 5 Series (clothing new cars in 10-years-old styling and the resulting lack of interest among buyers), they need to do something to ignite interest in the brand.