There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2017, 10:11 AM
CSS Veteran

Default VW to offer 6-year warranties for Atlas and Tiguan

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...-with-new-suvs

Quote:
Volkswagen Group is trying to win back American customers after its diesel-emission scandal with SUV warranties that it said will be the longest in the U.S.

Ahead of the New York auto show, the automaker said Tuesday it will offer a six-year, 72,000-mile warranty on its new 2018 Atlas and 2018 Tiguan SUVs that go on sale later this year.
At least that's something, right?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Whilst in Europe we are still generously offered 2 years....
Old 04-12-2017, 01:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

It's a start. Why not the whole range though? Or will they roll out the same warranty cover progressively as each model gets renewed?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn75 View Post
It's a start. Why not the whole range though? Or will they roll out the same warranty cover progressively as each model gets renewed?
I would guess so.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Raconteur

Not offering it across the board immediately is YET ANOTHER example of VW's arrogant attitude toward the American consumer.

It also sends the message (if you think about it) that the Atlas and Tiguan have lower quality and need a longer warranty than the standard VW warranty.

Hyundai did the 10/100 warranty as a marketing ploy and have kept it. Textbook example of how to do it right.

VW should have matched Hyundai and should have backed all their cars.

Maybe, given how unreliable and prone to component failure VW's are, they can't afford a warranty that truly protects the consumer against the ridiculously high cost of ownership among VWs.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It also sends the message (if you think about it) that the Atlas and Tiguan have lower quality and need a longer warranty than the standard VW warranty.

Hyundai did the 10/100 warranty as a marketing ploy and have kept it. Textbook example of how to do it right.
I actually think it says that opposite (that VW "trusts" that the Atlas and Tiguan will be reliable enough that the company won't drown in having to pay out warranty claims and that VW doesn't have as much confidence in the pre-existing lineup).

And, to be fair, the 10 yr/100000 mi warranty from Hyundai is only for the powertrain....

I think it's absolutely a move in the right direction. But they really need to apply this to the entire lineup (which I assume will happen as each is given a refresh/update).
Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I actually think it says that opposite (that VW "trusts" that the Atlas and Tiguan will be reliable enough that the company won't drown in having to pay out warranty claims and that VW doesn't have as much confidence in the pre-existing lineup).

And, to be fair, the 10 yr/100000 mi warranty from Hyundai is only for the powertrain....

I think it's absolutely a move in the right direction. But they really need to apply this to the entire lineup (which I assume will happen as each is given a refresh/update).
OK, let's go with your "read" of it. The implication as you take it is that the rest of their line is crap and that is bad for sales. VW needed to put this on all their cars.

Knowing VW, this warranty is full of asterisks and no doubt designed to anger customers at the dealer service line.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
agreed, if they weren't confident in the quality and knew they'd lose money on the warranty they wouldn't offer it. With the recent trend toward leasing instead of buying, the first three years of the warranty are typically what's relevant anyway. speaking solely from my own experience, i'd never buy a non Japanese car to own long term, and if I was going to it definitely would NOT be a german car.