There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
:cry::cry: i think i am going crazy! Honestly i cannot switch off my brain from thinking about which car to get all the time, it will be my first self-bought car and i want it to be and feel special. But since i cannot afford a sports car or even an MX-5 i need to make do with the small car class, but again i want it to look and feel special:idonknow:
Get yourself a second hand (or even 3rd hand) MX-5 - I did for the weekends (a 95 Mk. I with 96 kW), even when old it's an extremely trouble free and reliable car which offers tons of fun :) If you don't need too much space (and you live in the most sunny corner of Europe, so wheater should be perfect for a Roadster), don't be afraid of age or mileage....

ANd as my mother has a 1.2 Fiat Punto, I know the engine, it is cheap to run service wise, is very quite and frugal, but really offers no spirit or performance in any way.....
Old 08-26-2008, 05:09 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

I thought about the MX-5 many times but the older generations just look and feel cheap and are not well equipped. I saw 1-2 second hand examples of the current gen but again its very expensive and doesn't appeal to me visually unless its in brighter colors (red is great), yet i can only find dark greys ;)
Anyway as i said i would really like to go for a brand new car this time, my family seriously digs the Focus CC (yes i know it has a huge butt) and it would be fun to have a convertible for a change but it costs quite a few thousand euros more. I will let you guys know what i have decided, lol, thanks for the advice!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

the1 is on a distinguished road

Nahhh... not the Focus CC. It has to be one of the most ugly compact CCs ever. A neighbour has one and it really is hideous. The Eos with a nice TSI matted to a DSG and a glass roof would be a better deal.

Back to the Fiesta and 500. Yes, the 1.2 is reliable and quite frugal. I can confirm it too. Those too Pandas are 2 year old now and free of trouble... just slow, very slow.

Stick with the Fiesta mate. It suits you very well and it's more of a guy's car than a 500 can ever be.

BTW, what would you choose between a 1.6 90hp TDCI Focus Trend (manual aircon, 4 airbags, cd with no mp3, front electric windows etc.) for 13700euros, a 2.0 140hp TDCI Titanium Focus (with ESP and a lot of goodies, including the double clutch semi-auto DSG style gearbox) for 20000 euros, a 2.2 140hp i-cdti Honda Civic Sport (Titanium equivalent in therms of goodies, with a manual), a 1.6 107hp 4x4 Suzuki SX4 fully loaded for 14000 euros and a potential Fiesta Titanium 1.6tdci for aproximately 14000-15000 euros?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1 View Post
Nahhh... not the Focus CC. It has to be one of the most ugly compact CCs ever. A neighbour has one and it really is hideous. The Eos with a nice TSI matted to a DSG and a glass roof would be a better deal.

Back to the Fiesta and 500. Yes, the 1.2 is reliable and quite frugal. I can confirm it too. Those too Pandas are 2 year old now and free of trouble... just slow, very slow.

Stick with the Fiesta mate. It suits you very well and it's more of a guy's car than a 500 can ever be.

BTW, what would you choose between a 1.6 90hp TDCI Focus Trend (manual aircon, 4 airbags, cd with no mp3, front electric windows etc.) for 13700euros, a 2.0 140hp TDCI Titanium Focus (with ESP and a lot of goodies, including the double clutch semi-auto DSG style gearbox) for 20000 euros, a 2.2 140hp i-cdti Honda Civic Sport (Titanium equivalent in therms of goodies, with a manual), a 1.6 107hp 4x4 Suzuki SX4 fully loaded for 14000 euros and a potential Fiesta Titanium 1.6tdci for aproximately 14000-15000 euros?
I hate the Eos! It always feels like a poser's car and it costs and arm and a limb! I see a lot of Focus CC's driving around and although its true, it has a nasty butt, the car itself is great. It drives just as good or better than the hatch, has plenty or boot space when the roof is up and interior is great. The only thing that spoils it is the ungainly arse but in dark colors it looks overall really nice and stylish IMO.

As for the Fiesta vS 500 yeah perhaps you are right, the Fiesta might suit me better although i don't agree with the 500 being a woman's car, its got classic styling which i think is irrelevant towards the sex of its driver. In general i try to avoid categorizing cars into female and male although i only did it once: with the New Beetle:naughty: (swizzle drives one btw:lol:)

Now as for the advice...hmmm
I would most definitely skip the Suzuki SX4 unless you absolutely need a small SUV. It looks great but its average to drive and i think quality is also on the average side. Yet 14.000 fully loaded is really tempting but only if u really can't afford more for something else IMO

I love the Civic hatch's styling but i am put off from the hard ride and torsion beam + the poor ergonomics of the console. Another minus is the space at the back, its not as generous and the stiff ride makes it uncomfortable i think. But if you are buying based on looks, engine, quality and image its a great car. How much does it cost there?

I wouldn't buy a Focus Trend, i think it looks dull in the base trims even if it is an excellent car.
Titianium looks much better, especially with the blakened headlights and crome ring on the lower grill. Yet its still a common site and since the all-new model should arrive in 2010 you need to think carefully about buying it IMO.

The Fiesta is great! lol. It has the looks, the spark, the quality, the drive and is spacious enough i guess. Yet of course, as good as it might drive, the Focus is probably a more fulfilling experience.

So i would say if you want the better car, the one that drives better yet looks more ordinary, i would go for Focus Titanium.
If you want my overall winner-choice i would definitely say the Fiesta Titianium. The Civic would also be a great choice...difficult to decide!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

The SX4 is not that bad, while a small SUV is always an inspired choice given how bad the roads can be in this part of Europe.
The Civic is 21000 including maximum discounts. The Powershift Focus 2.0 Titanium is 20000, similar equipment.
I'm not sure how much would a titanium Fiesta be in the end... there are no price lists for my country.

The above prices are On The Road prices inlcuding all the taxes.

Truth is after selling my GTC and having no more personal car (I drive a company car now) I'm not eager to shell out a lot of money (for my budget) without being 100% sure about what I want. I might consider the new Mazda3, the new Opel Astra and, of course, the new Focus, too. That's probably the reason why I can't really decide to make the jump and buy the current-kinda-dull-looking Focus. I gotta see what they have in store for us with the 3rd gen Focus, I'm sure it will look fantastic... and, YES, looks are a big thing for me.

Last edited by the1; 08-27-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Truth is after selling my GTC and having no more personal car (I drive a company car now) I'm not eager to shell out a lot of money (for my budget) without being 100% sure about what I want. I might consider the new Mazda3, the new Opel Astra and, of course, the new Focus, too. That's probably the reason why I can't really decide to make the jump and buy the current-kinda-dull-looking Focus. I gotta see what they have in store for us with the 3rd gen Focus, I'm sure it will look fantastic... and, YES, looks are a big thing for me.
Looks are a big thing to most of us i think (Fiat 500, hint-hint) But when you can have a combination of looks and handling + quality and value its even better in the end unless you are after a car that will somehow not lose its charm fast. With the Astra, Mazda3 and Megane right around the corner i am also kinda thinking of waiting but on the other hand i need something sooner.

No price lists for the Fiesta here either although i will make a few phone calls and try to "convince" them to give me more info as my family currently own a Fiesta.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Well there is quite a difference pricewise betwen these cars, so I guess it's also a question of price.
I haven't driven the 1.6 TDCI in the Focus, but several Peugeot 307s from my company are equiped with this engine, and compared to the comparable JTD from FIAT or VW TDIs, it feels, well, quite slow. Although paper says different, but it feeld like it has much less torque, and it has quite a sluggish pahse below 1600 - 1800 revs. Yes, it's maybe the most refined of it's class, but given the felt lack of power, most drivers tend to push it hard, so it's not overly frugal.

I also considered the Fiat Sedici (same as SX4) a while ago, but ended up with the feeling that it feels quite a bit smaller on the inside than a true compact car, and the all hard plastic interior and no rech adjustable steering wheel also gave it a small car feeling. But surely not a bad car, though I'd def. recomend the4x4 in combinatzion with the 120hp Diesel. wd eats up too much power from the smaller petrol engine.
Btw. I know the bad roads in eastern europe (I travel around quite a lot work wise), so I totally get your point about a small SUV - but why not, say a proper small SUV like a Kia Sportage (in the end, the SX4 is just half hearted) At least in Austria it's not more than a Focus, sometimes even less.

Otherwise I'd go for the Focus 2L TDCI DSG if money is not the problem, as it just suits my tase more than the space age Civic, has the more sophisticated suspension and the more conservative body is maybe more practical in everydays driving, at least surely visibility is much better.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'm gonna make a bank loan or a lease to buy the car so I can stretch to a 20k euros budget. Of course, I can still get a cheaper car and have more fuel money. :)

The AWDriven Sportage is quite expensive in my country, it's somewhere north of 25000 euros.

The SX4 is a nice little bugger IMO. Space is ok for me, but the hard cheap plastics on the inside do put me off a bit, indeed. I gotta make a drive test this weekend.

The Civic is sensational. I'm crazy about its gorgeous space shuttle exterior design, while I find the interior extremely cool, appealing and spacious as well. The diesel is really smooth and sips so little fuel you might think it's a hybrid. :) On the other hand, it is quite expensive and the rear torsion beam and terrible rear visibility are let downs for me.

The current Focus...
The one thing that makes me wanna hold out and not go for the excellent overall package the Focus offers (even in base Trend trim at 13700 euros) is the imminent arrival of the new gen Focus. I just wouldn't be able to live with myself if I start a bank credit right now for a 20000euros car and see a revealing spy pic 2 weeks later, showing the new Focus in its full glory (if the recent design gems like the Fiesta and Kuga are any indication of how good the new Focus might end up looking like). To be honest, the new Focus is the car I'd buy, if its design is as cool as I expect it to be. The current one is still to clinical (boring!) for my tastes.

The new Mazda3 is another nice potential package, though it tends to be a lot more expensive than its Ford counterpart in my country. Still, it comes out before the new Focus and seems to look amazing while the chassis and everything else is pretty much Focus3 so it could be the better deal, being closer to my purchasing date. :)

The new Astra sounds like a promising car, with an entirely new platform and a potentially nice design as well. I can get some serious discounts from a few Opel dealers (12%) so it might be quite appealing. The question is when will it come out and what will be the new engine range.

One of the cars on the top of my list is the new Fiesta (especially if I decide to go cheap and keep some money). I would have bought it tomorrow if available, but my local dealer told me the first price lists might come out in Nov-Dec, with first units deliverable in February.

The 1.6tdci 90ps is not bad. My cousin (not Vinnie) bought one last year at my suggestion and he's very happy with it. I drove a few times and it's certainly no more lethargic than a JTD Multijet (especially the new crop) or a TDI. It's true the TDIs tend to have more push at lower revs but their torque 'dies' quite fast afterwards. I like the 1.6tdci and it sips very little fuel. If I decide to wait for the Fiesta I might go for this engine, if it's not hideously expensive compared with the petrols.

More opinions welcome! :)
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:

The new Mazda3 is another nice potential package, though it tends to be a lot more expensive than its Ford counterpart in my country. Still, it comes out before the new Focus and seems to look amazing while the chassis and everything else is pretty much Focus3 so it could be the better deal, being closer to my purchasing date. :)

The new Astra sounds like a promising car, with an entirely new platform and a potentially nice design as well. I can get some serious discounts from a few Opel dealers (12%) so it might be quite appealing. The question is when will it come out and what will be the new engine range.
U sure u looked at the illustrations and toy pics of the Mazda3? lol, just kidding, although i must admit i am far from impressed from the next Mazda3 (hatch) but i need to also see some proper pics.

The Astra should be a class act this time, i am sure Opel will try to give it an excellent quality cabin and a more up-market look and feel on the inside. Hope the exterior is as good though and they switch to multi-link this time.

Have you considered the new Megane? It should be out even before the Mazda and Astra i think...

Or how about the Fiat Bravo? I know it is no class leader but the more i see it the more i love it, it has exquisite detail outside and inside. Negatives are a lot of course, it will depreciate fast, reliability is questionable, it sits on an old chassis so it cant compete with the Focus or Golf, its not very spacious at the back and boot space is very small. Yet as almost ALL Italian cars looks is where the money is!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:

The 1.6tdci 90ps is not bad. My cousin (not Vinnie) bought one last year at my suggestion and he's very happy with it. I drove a few times and it's certainly no more lethargic than a JTD Multijet (especially the new crop) or a TDI. It's true the TDIs tend to have more push at lower revs but their torque 'dies' quite fast afterwards. I like the 1.6tdci and it sips very little fuel. If I decide to wait for the Fiesta I might go for this engine, if it's not hideously expensive compared with the petrols.

More opinions welcome! :)
I was reffering to the 1,9 JTD in 80, 90 and 100 hp versions. But as they were restricted versions of the more powerful 1.9 versions, it's clear that they feel more powerful than a 1.6. I don't know the new 1,6 JTD, but I must say that th 1,3 JTD 90 hp is horrible IMO. Biggest Turbo lag I know so far, clearly a too small displacement/too big TUrbo problem.
And yes, the VW TDIs are dying quite fast torque wise.
Maaybe Ford is using different gearing than Peugeot as well, this I don't know.

Pricing (Sportage) can be quite different in many countries, I agree. But in AUstria you wouldn't get the described Focus DSG for 20k, more like 23K, whilst you could get a Sportage with a good deal for more or less the same, so I just thought it could be the same in your country. But yes, I wouldn't pay 5k EUR more as well.

ANd surely the Civic is a good car, esp. the engine, just the design is really,as much as at probably no other car, a question of taste. If you like it, it might be a great car.